Will a whale tail help?

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by catsmith1, Apr 4, 2006.

1. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    I have a 15.5 foot alumacraft semi v jon. I have a Mercury 4stroke 9.9 on the back. It will push it about 12-13 mph with two people and gear.

My question is will a whale tail help it get on plane? It never seems to get out of the water enough to feel like I am on plane. I adjust weight forward and backward till the motor sounds like it is running effeciently.

I cannot afford a bigger motor. My buddy can make me an aluminum tail for it but not sure if it is worth the effort.

I welcome any advise. Thanks!

2. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i took mine off my toon and it actually give it about 2 mph more.

3. Catbird

Catbird New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, Ohio
    Robert,
    I have a 16' modified V w/50 HP engine. I added a whale tail to mine. It gets on plane a little faster than it did before. If your not getting on plane without it, I don't know if it will help.

4. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    That sir is proof that the American public will buy any gadget, no matter how counter productive it is. On a pontoon, they're a joke, but on a small engine, they can be productive.

This was a 15hp w/9,9 hood I had on my semi-v 16' jon. putting the hydrofoil on it made all the difference in the world.

If you put one on your 9.9 I believe it will help, but don't expect miracles. It's still a 9.9.

Attached Files:

5. Jesse168

Jesse168 Member

State:
    Memphis, Tennessee
    Be careful when turning with a whale tail on your motor. Turning real sharp with one on your motor will cause some boats to flip over.

Jesse

6. goose1

goose1 New Member

State:
    indiana
    no problem that is to eASY

7. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i didnt buy it when i bought the motor it was on there so i left it. took it off one day to see if there was a diff. none except it picked up alittle.

8. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I have one on my 115. It makes a BIG difference!
    Bill

9. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Be carefull when buying one, some of them are just a flat piece of plastic and not a hydrofoil. A hydrofoil in like an airfoil for planes except these are made for the water. They are made to lift your boat more out of the water so there is less drag and therefore you can go faster. The boat will also turn better. I know it works great on my boat, but mine has power trim so I don't know how they will work on fixed trim engines.I bought mine from Stingray, the new speed xp model and it made a HUGE difference. They are only $50 and walmart just started selling them. They make a big one made for like 70- unlimited HP and one for small motors like yours. I think you will see a big difference on your boat. Good luck

10. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Thanks for the great info. My buddy is a sheet metal mechanic on Military aircraft. I may get him to bend one and cut to fit. It would be free and I have scrap laying around to play with.

Thanks!