Will a fish survive is hooked deep in the throat?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by mhbomber, Aug 11, 2008.

1. mhbomber

mhbomber New Member

State:
    Wilmington
    I have heard differing opinions on this. If a hook gets stuck in the stomach or throat muscles of a catfish, will it rust out or will it kill the fish? I would always let them go unless I was certain they would die (which luckily has not happened to me yet). What are your thoughts?

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Unless it was a stainless steel hook, I'd put my money on the fish. Nature is grand. Man has dominon over all fish and animals, and he is trying his best to kill them all.

3. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    exactly,long as ya try not to dislodge the hook,hurting the fish worse,the line should just be cut.the hook should rust out and not hurt it.like aw said,if the hook is stainless,it will not rust out,being an obstruction,and would more than likely kill it.stainless should only be used in saltwater.

4. NewMexicoCatfisher

NewMexicoCatfisher New Member

State:
    Alameda, New Mexico
    Actually if a fish is gut hooked, most of the time its stomach acids will dissolve the hook, if not it will probably rust out fairly quickly.

5. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I've come across fish of different species with hooks in the throat and once I even found a hook in a stomach. I guess they have a way of working them out.

6. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    That's why I don't use stainless, even in salt water... Even a big salt water hook will dissolve in no time, and they will dissolve in a catfish, too...

7. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Use some logic, Matt. Put yourself in the fish's situation. If you swallow a large hook in your throat, it will hinder the way you will eat for awhile. You probably wouldn't be able to eat and swallow so you will most likely starve and die a slow painful death.

That harky-malarky about a hook rusting out? How long would it take for a large sharp hook to rust out of your throat?

MOST GUTT HOOKED FISH DIE IN MY OPINION

8. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    This has been discussed before, and Peewee had a very interesting take on it...seems like the bottom line was, cut as much of the hook out as you can reach with dikes.

9. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    Ok first off, a hook may or may not restrict that fish from eating. Placement is everything.

I Speared a Northern Pike once that had a gold Eagle Claw hook threaded through both lips, in effect sewing his mouth together. When I touched the hook to take it out, it fell into 3 pieces. This fish was alive, well, and healthy looking. The hook were it was outside the fish was gold, looked intact. But where it was in contact with the flesh it had rusted out.

I think most fish can go for a lot longer without eating than many people give them credit for.

Yes, if you can see the hook and cut it, do so. If nothing else you've broken the surface give rust a chance to start.
    If you can't see the hook, cut the line and let him go.
    Its life may not be assured, but it has at least a fighting chance.

10. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    dont know how long a hook takes to rust,salt water or not,but i caught 2 4 or 5 lb.flats that had swallowed the hooks to the point where i couldnt see them.i decided to keep and eat these fish so i took them home and put them in my bait tank.3 days later i went to clean them and when i dumped the tank both hooks were laying on the bottom of it.i dont know if they passed them or regurgeitated them but they wernt in the fish and both fish were fine.

11. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    well if its stainless you might try to get it out but you have to be very very careful,that ones a toss up if you leave it in it might kill it or if you try to get it out you may kill it, so to that one i dont think there really is a wrong or right.But the ones that can rust you definitely want to cut the line as colse to the hook as possible and leave the hook in it.it will rust out.

12. lilgriz

lilgriz New Member

State:
    Aurora, KY
    I couldn't tell you for sure what would happen if a hook was left in a fish. But I do know that when I catch a fish that is hooked deep enough for me to wonder if it is going to make it, I'll take it home and clean it, that way I know for sure the fish wasn't wasted.

13. Geek13

Geek13 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I cut line and release if I cant get to the hooks. This is based on things I have read in the past on the subject. Steel isn't as hardy a metal in the environment as most may think if it isn't protected.

14. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    I have caught fish with hooks in there throat. But I would have to say that if blood isn't coming out out of control then you will just have make the decision, toss'em or keep'em. Most generally I keep them.