Will a baitlight affect flathead catfish?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by weathermantrey, Jun 27, 2006.

1. weathermantrey

weathermantrey New Member

State:
    central,sc
    The past several months we have been able to net herring before dark. Now that the water has gotten so hot, the only way we can get them is putting a bait light out after dark. My question is, do you think this light negatively affects our flathead fishing? We haven't been doing very well the last several weeks. I've figured it's b/c they are spawning, but this bait light may be contributing to the problem. What do you guys think?

2. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Are you removing the baitlight from the water after you finish catching bait? I would suggest moving 50-75 ft. up or down stream from where you collected the bait and try fishing from there. You may need to chum a bit to get the catifsh to come to you.

3. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    They want hang around the light long at all.Throw your baits out away from the light.Even stripers and hybrids want stay in the light they just dart threw and grab a herring.A flathead is not excactly gonna dart threw they just hang around the edges of the light and if the water is deep enough they will hang around under the light.I would recomend just turnin the light out comepletly so you want have to worry about if your far enough out of the light or far enough under the light.

4. mobowhtr

mobowhtr Member

State:
    MO
    I don't think the light will bother them, but the bait attracted by the light will probably attract the flats too.

5. mobowhtr

mobowhtr Member

State:
    MO
    I don't think the light will bother them, but the bait attracted by the light will probably attract the flats too. It seems to work that way for blues.

6. 40 Pound Club

40 Pound Club New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I don't think the light bothers them at all. In fact, my dad caught his 44 pounder under a dock light minutes after a huge very loud boat pulled away from the dock we were fishing. But if you think it might bother them try turning it off a ni9ght and see if it makes a difference. I was also throwing rocks into the exact spot his line was at seconds before it took off. I think it actually drew attention to the area. So try different stuff. Flatheads are a very mysterious creature where everybody thinks they have them figured out but I don't think anybody really does.

7. weathermantrey

weathermantrey New Member

State:
    central,sc
    Yea we always turn the light off as soon as we get enough bait. We are normally in at least 20ft deep water, and we can cast a long ways with my reels. But i still dont like the idea of having that bright light right under my boat.