Will 270 work for Elk?

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by Bigbluefisherman, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I am going to go on an Elk trip in CO next Oct and was trying to figure out if my 270 would work for elk. If so what bullet do you all suggest? Thanks for the help.

2. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    I've shot 270's for years and would not hesitate to use mine on an elk AT REASONABLE RANGES and with a proper bullet. My rifle loves a 150 grain Nosler Partition bullet. Federal Premium loads it you don't reload. Many other brands are excellent, also. Try several premium, bonded bullets to see what your rifle shoots best. Remember, shot placement is everything. If you are not 100% sure where the bullet will hit, you are too far away. Also, visualize where the bullet will exit, and what lies between the entrance and exit.

Good luck on your hunt,
    Steve

3. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Exactly !

4. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    I've used a .270 most of my hunting life and can say without hesitation that it will indeed work on elk...very well. As others have said, shot placement is crucial and a well built 150 grain bullet is what you need to shoot. Even with that, be prepared to follow up with a second shot. Elk are rarely dropped with the first shot.

Good luck.

5. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    In My Opinion, a 270 is the absolute smallest rifle i would use on game like an elk. i would definitely cut my shooting distance down considerably compared to deer hunting. if you have a friend with a larger caliber rifle like a .300 mag and up, i would consider asking to barrow it for the trip. i have lent my .300 win mag out on several occasions to buddies going out west and they have killed a few nice elk with my gun. im the type that doesn't mind lending a gun to a close buddy though. anyway thats just a thought, consider barrowing a larger gun.

6. Buddrice

Buddrice New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I have been shooting a .270 for over 30 years and I wouldn't hesitate in a second going for a Elk with it.I would go up to a 150 Grain bullet instead of the 130 Grain that I use to deer hunt with.

7. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    If i'm not mistaken Barnes makes a 180 gr. bullet. I shoot a 270 and love the caliber but ain't sure i would elk hunt with it. Bullet placement needs to be good, and i agree if he twitches his ear, give him another dose. Their tough, i shot mine with a 338 twice right behind the shoulder and he stood wooblin for what seemed like forever before he fell.

8. arizhunter

arizhunter New Member

State:
    Goodyear, Az
    I have used a 270 on elk for a number of years. Shot placement is important no matter what cal. you use. I have shot three elk while was using 130 grain soft point bullets two where one shot kills.One of them was about two hundred yards. The other one was not so good .The only reason I tell this because I know it will work.But let me save you a hard learn lesson get a bullet with better penetration.I use Federal 150 grain Nosler partition when hunting elk

9. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I definitely agree with the shot placement statement, I've always said, " It doesn't do you any good to have a bigger hammer, if you can't hit the nail":wink:

I have used the nosler partition bullets in the federal premium loads for years with great results. Lately though most of the suppliers, who carry federal, are carrying the newer federals called "Fusion". I wouldn't hesitate using those either, I've shot alot of big hogs on a dead hard run with 'em & stopped them in their tracks !!

I've been using the 160 Gr. loads & don't see much difference in the bullet drop & IMO i stand a better chance while shooting through brush, if I have too

10. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for the suggestions....I hunt deer all of the time and as far shot placement goes, it has to be good on a deer aswell or good luck recovering them. I have access to a 300 win mag, but I have never shot it, and I would rather take a gun that I am used to shooting, because I may only get one chance at an elk and having my own rifle that I have put a few hundred rounds through would be an advantage to me. Again...thanks for the responses.

11. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    I have several friends and neighbors who have taken elk with a 270. Any of the good 150 gr. bullets like the Partitian will work fine. Good luck on your hunt.

12. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    If you are going on a guided hunt, I figure your guide would rather you bring a 270 that you are used to over a unfamiliar gun. I was thinking of going on a bear hunt once and talked with a guide as to what cal. gun I should bring. He said he would rather a person bring a smaller gun that they could shoot accurately over a cannon that they couldn't. He preceded to tell me that my 308 with a little larger bullet than I deer hunted with would do a fine job on a grizzly. Things happened that I never got to find out though.

13. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    it's all about shot placement and self control to wait for a good shot,It's about the shooter more than the rifle,those big cannons are for guys that can't shoot and need the rifle to cover their mistakes(no offense anyone,Id rather see a 300 win mag or .338 ultramag used on deer than to see people wounding them and not recovering them)

14. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    The .270 will take elk till pigs fly. Use a good 140gr or 150gr bullet, point it right, and the elk isn't going to know if it was a .277 piece of lead weighing 150 gr or a .308 piece weighing 180 or 200 grains.

You are MUCH better off with a rifle that you are intimately famliar with and can shoot well than taking a rifle that you've not practiced with extensively and don't/can't shoot well. Every guide that I've talked to would rather you have an easy shooting, accurate gun that you're not afraid of VS using a cannon that stomps you when you pull the trigger. :wink:

15. BubbaCat

BubbaCat Well-Known Member

State:
    Arizona
    very good advise by all brothers... 1 more thing if you are going self guided to be successful you and who ever is going with, must be in shape .

16. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Yep,, have to agree, as there's been Tons of Elk killed with the .270..
    Fine Ctg, has , and will do a fine job on an Elk. I'd also agree the heavier 150's and partition style projectiles will ensure a cleaner kill.

17. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    jack o Connor said that the 270 would take any big game animal in North America and that's good enough for me. If you have a 270, save the sweat for the walking and have a great hunt.

:cool2:

18. BubbaCat

BubbaCat Well-Known Member

State:
    Arizona
    Jack made the 270 win so popular winchester should have renamed it.

19. Trevor1

Trevor1 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
  20. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I think thousands of elk would agree:wink: