Wildlife Commission approves fishing-related rule changes

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by tkishkape, Mar 6, 2009.

1. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Wildlife Commission approves fishing-related rule changes

Benefiting anglers and stabilizing populations of big blue catfish are at the heart of a new fishing rule change that will go into effect in 2010.

The rule change, approved along with several others by the Oklahoma Wildlife Conservation Commission at its March meeting, will limit the daily combined channel and blue catfish limit of 15 to include only one blue catfish measuring 30 inches or more.

“Research shows that only about one percent of the population of blue catfish in Oklahoma lakes grow to be 30 inches in length,” said Barry Bolton, chief of fisheries for the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation. “We can't afford to watch that percentage drop, and I think anglers would agree. Blue catfish are a highly sought-after fish, and relieving pressure on the big ones will ultimately benefit both catfish and the anglers who catch them.”
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What, if any changes will this ruling take on your individual fishing?

Let me be the first to weigh in...

As a rule, I release all blues over 10 pounds. It is my experience that some 10 pound blues measure 30 inches, but most 30 inchers weigh closer to 15 pounds. The only reason I will keep a larger fish is if it is mortally injured by the hook. In the light of that statement, I dress 3 to 5 large catfish yearly.

I still have catfish filets in my freezer and eat all the filets I want. Still, I am an avid rod-and-reel fisherman, opting not to use trotlines or jugs. Those who do use jugs and trotlines will have to make pre-set decisions on what to do with their larger fish. It is no longer a moral decision... it is a decision to be law-abiding or not.

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I fish with rod & reel and jugs. I only keep blue in the 4-10 lb range. Smaller than 4lbs, not much meat bigger than 8-10lbs and they don't taste as good to me. I think it will help the blues if people abide by the law. I'm like you I only keep a big blue if I know it won't make it on release.

3. posifour11

posifour11 New Member

State:
    OK
    i don't know what to think about it, yet. on one hand i can see that it will help the population grow bigger blues. but, on the other hand, i don't like any new regulations. be it fish size, tax laws or nose hair length.

also, i think they could have made changes to specific waterways instead of making such a broad stroke.

anyway, i doubt this will affect me much. i don't catch many that big anyhow.

4. Bill D Curtis

Bill D Curtis New Member

State:
    Blackwell Oklahoma
    that is sure gonna mess up the long nights on Kaw cause lots of nights every fish you catch will go over 30 inches:confused2:

5. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I think it is a great idea. There are alot of lakes in OK that needed it, imo.
    You can catch all the big fish you want, you just cant keep em all.

6. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Guess I gotta go to Kaw.:smile2:

7. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    I think I need to go to Kaw.:smile2:

8. catfisherokie

catfisherokie New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    That will certainly make the tournament weigh-ins a lot more interesting....

9. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    The change in the regulation does not say you can not catch the fish over 30 inches, but it does say you can only keep one over 30 inches. Personally, I'm all for it. I'd fill my pants if I caught two fish over 30 inches the same night. LOL

10. Steven Armstrong

Steven Armstrong New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    texas allready has the cpr rule on certain lakes.we allready have slot limits on bass,it seems to help with the bass fishing. we`ve been releaseing 10lbs. and bigger all along,it won`t bother me, it dosen`t list flat heads so you must be able to take all the big flat heads you can catch. as far as tournaments go we release all live fish any way so i don`t see a problem there either. maybe like deer hunting the rules will flex as the population on certain lakes increase.

11. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Steve - You are on target. Give the new regs some time and the dept will change their stance as the fish population changes.

12. catfisherokie

catfisherokie New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    We release our fish as well after weigh in. I was just wondering if you could keep more than 1 per person till weigh in or if it has to be released immediatly? I thought it read only one fish in possession over 30. Thats an average fish for you Polebender gents...:wink:

13. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    When are you going to go? I hear a big one calling for you:smile2:

14. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    A 30" blue is just about the minimum a Polebender will bring to the scales... or suffer extreme embarassment.

15. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Well Al some will BEG to differ on the moon-pie scenario:wink::eek:oooh::smile2: The 30 inch rule is ok by me!!! If ya cant possess but 1 per person then sounds like you could possess 2 for a tournament in 2010:wink: we can still hit a 100lbs:wink::eek:oooh::smile2:

16. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    How many catfish can you bring to a weigh in? Personally I think this rule would really hurt tournament catfishing. The big draw of tournament fishing is to see the BIG cats.

That is a big selling point. Why you would want to apply that to tournaments that are catch and release? Tournaments are only going to promote fishing and catfishing more. I certainly hope that part of the rule changes for their sake. I agree that I normally release those size fish anyhow, but in that instance.... I'd hate to do it!:eek:oooh:

17. schoonie

schoonie New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I think it's a good thing. The smaller ones are better eatin' and the bigguns make more babies. I believe it's sound science, and will help my kids and grandkids in the long run.

18. Noodler87

Noodler87 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I usually release blue catfish that weight over 25 pounds becasue it dont taste very good.. A 30 inches seem maybe weight 12 to 16 pounds.. I guess its a good idea to keep one blue catfish thats over 30 inches..

19. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    first let me say i dont fish touniments.second i dont keep cats over 30 inches.that said i cant see making exceptions to a law if its one over 30 for me then it should be one over 30 for everbody.

20. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    You don't see a difference in guys whose fishing is being regulated, and who release all their catches, and are just doing it for a competition? I think there's a pretty big difference between me and a tournament fisherman (I'm not one). And I think my point about big fish at weigh ins is valid.