Wildcat Creek

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by ThaWstSide, Mar 10, 2009.

1. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    Ok, I know there is quite a few of you up north that fish often and have had success. Have you or known anybody that has had any success catching Flatheads, or Blues, or anything of signifigance out of Wildcat Creek? mainly thru Kokomo or around Kokomo?

2. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I fished Wildcat Creek just before it starts Kokomo Reservoir, but that was years back. Caught a lot of channels in the 3-5# range and some hog carp. Wasn't really targeting flatties at the time, but some of that water looks like it could hold some flatheads. Hopefully somebody else will have some more info.

3. rairdog

rairdog New Member

State:
    IN
    I fished the Cat from 1978 to 84 when I lived in Lafayette. We used to skip school, buy an 8 gallon keg, float and fish. It was awsome smalley fishing and nice cats. Softcraws were the bait of choice. I did 3 day canoe trips and slayed them. We could camp anywhere we wanted. Now it's still fun but polluted. That and the Wea used to be my stomping grounds. Thanks to Lilly's, Staley's or whatever the plant I don't go back. Still some good fish but I don't fish unless they're edible. Granted I release 75% of my cats. I Just want to be able to look at a 3 to 5 pounder and not think of whats in them. Look at the consumption guide.

4. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I fish it here in Lafayette and its great for smallies and channels, and has some nice flatties in there. The flathead in my user profile is from the wildcat. But it is true, the wildcat is very polluted.

5. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I used to fish that when I was 6 or 7 with my uncle. I couldnt sit still long enough to catch a fish (a.d.d. probably. lol) but I clearly remember the flatheads my uncle caught.... so there oughta be some old hawgs in there no doubt about that! I remember the big deal about the polution from way back then!

6. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    Thanks for the input, I read the 2009 DNR Fishing Guide and it states not to eat anything in Howard County from Wildcat Creek. I just thought I could fish it and catch something since it runs thru the backyard, I can see it from the house. I was hoping someone would say there would be some nice size fish in there if you found the "spot" to fish... :roll_eyes:

7. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    It's always worth the try Jim. Shoot, if any body of water ran right through my backyard...I'd figure out how to be successful fishing it:cool2:. You could have a hidden gem there, a nice little home waterway to sneak off to for a couple hours whenever.

8. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    What is interesting, the amount of logs and stumps in our area. It is pretty wide thru there also, it just might be that "hidden" gem as you call it that I am looking for when Flathead fishing. I might give it a try as soon as the weather turns and presents an opportunity...

9. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Well Jim as soon as you get the chance to fish it, give us a report..

10. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    I will be sure to do that, here before long I will be "invading" Bens area. I am creeping my way north more and more thru the weeks....

11. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Im gonna try and fish the Ohio alot more this year

12. RiverBuggy4x4

RiverBuggy4x4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I wish I could do more fishing but work looks like its going to limit me:confused2:

13. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    Shane, keep us posted if you fish the Ohio... I wouldnt be surprised to see something like what member: "Radish" caught come out of the Ohio eventually... That was a massive catch!

14. catfishpatrol

catfishpatrol New Member

State:
    Kokomo, Indiana
    I fish the wildcat here in kokomo usually around the spillway. I personally have never caught any flatheads there but i know people who have. Actually i heard of more flatheads being caught there last year than i ever had.

15. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    Dan, welcome to the BOC.. thanks for the information!
    :wink:

16. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    Dan, Welcome to the Brotherhood... And thank you for the info! I will be up that way this weekend but not able to fish, I plan on fishing some next weekend when up that way!

Good luck this season, maybe see ya around if you fish often...

17. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    that may be the result of the massive flooding? i know up here there were a few dams that were over run,and fish could have migrated rite over them to replenish new territory!