Wild shiners in the Northeast Cape Fear river.

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by catfish98054, May 1, 2008.

1. catfish98054

catfish98054 New Member

State:
    hampstead,
    does anyone catch them in traps or know where to

2. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, North Carol
    The only way that I have heard of anyone catching them is on a cast net by the lock and damn.

3. Pier Pressure

Pier Pressure New Member

State:
    Mt.Pleasant,NC
    You can catch them on a hook and worm or in a minnow trap with some bread. The hard part is keeping the bread in the trap for more than an hour :smile2:. They are a good deep bait in the summer, since they don't check out in 10 mins. like a shad will and are super easy to keep alive.

4. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    I have built a trap that works to catch those wild shiners.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79612

Just take some crackers and crumble em into the water first to draw them in then set out the trap.Check it every 10 minutes or so because them shiners are smart enough to find their way out.

If your talking about Emeralds this is the trap you need.

5. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I am lucky enough to catch them on a local lake with waxworms and a float rig. i watch for little bubbles. caught some over a foot! nice, hardy baits. caught alot of nice channels over 20 and bass over 8 (one 12 lber) in that same lake. as far as the river goes, i cannot say but i would try little coves and creek mouths,

6. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Yep, if you can get them they work pretty good. Cut the really big ones and the smaller ones work too, just pile a bunch of them on the hook. The only way I've got them is in a cast net and hook and line. Never had any luck with a minnow trap for anything:eek:oooh: