Wild Ride last night! (non fishing)

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by Dsage, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I was on my way home last night from work and out of no where my passenger side rear brake lock up on me. Not a good thing when one is travling 60plus mph. With it locking up on me it sent me in to a slide side ways. Not even thinking I turned the wheel the other direction and it send me in to a slide the other direction. This entire thing happened while going around a long curve on the Interstate right before my exit. I make it off the interstate and get things stopped just off the ramp. I get out and find my tire is half way off the rim. At that point I thought I had a blow out but I did not hear anything. I go to take the rim off and when I do the brake caliper is all makred up and has metal all over it. I then look at the rim and the inside of the rim is tore up. I then see a large crack in the rim about 3 inches long. I look at the brake caliper and what do I find out. One of the bolts that holds the caliper on broke, this casued the caliper to slam into the rim causing the rim to spilt and crack. I guess then the caliper then got slammed back into the rotor and this locked up that tire. I can tell you this I'm sure that if it was not raining some I think that truck would had flipped when it went side ways at 60plus mph the truck was completely side ways. When I was changing the tire a Cop pulled up to see what was going on when he saw the rim and caliper he when back up to the interstate and looked at the marks. He came down and wanted to shake my hand for still being in one piece and keeping it up right. I guess I have my teens years to thank for that and all the times we would halla@@ on the country roads and slide all over. Something like that really makes you think about life and how one second you are here and the next it could be all over.

2. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    Glad to hear that you made it out safe, that is some scary stuff man....

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Man, that sounds WILD! Congrats on the save!

Bill in SC

4. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Good save brother. Glad your here to tell about it this morning.

5. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Sounds like you had somebody watching over you on that one! I had a similar experience a few weeks back. I was headed back home from Olathe. There is a big circle on ramp off 7 HWY onto 10 HWY. When I hit the bottom of the on ramp I hit a puddle of water and lost control. Did a complete 360 in the middle of 10 hwy with lots of on coming traffic. Ended up in the ditch shaking for a minute or two before continuing on my way. I had my 2 youngest children with me too. Really scary experience I hope to never repeat!! :crazy:

6. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Geoff I understand the shaking oh so well. Sorry to hear about your adventure and taking it with the kids too. That is the one of the first things I thougth about after I got stopped was thank god the kids were not in with me. Gald to hear all is well with you and the kids.

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Dan congrats on a great driving job in an almost impossible situation. Glad no one was hurt.

8. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Yes life is too short. These crazy incidents make you greatfull and kinda reflect for awhile. Ive been there too. Im glad you made it out of that situation unharmed. Now its about time to watch for the deer.

9. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Dsage, glad you managed to get out of the slide. I am amazed you didn't
    roll it when it locked up. From the transposed letters in one of your posts
    I gather that you are still a bit shook up over your little dance with death.
    Glad you made it! Mr. Foster, nice avatar change. Black works for you.

10. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    Glad you are still here to tell us about it.That had to be one heckuva ride.

11. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    I am glad you made it through that. Real scary thing. My rear brake locked up on me on a motorcycle I had in High School. I woke up the next evening in the hospital.

12. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    ID BE P.O. You better have contacted chevrolet about this if not you need to asap. glad to hear you kep it between the ditches and wheels down. :cool2:

13. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    hows the truck doin?

14. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Dan, sound's like it was a wild ride:eek:oooh:, glad you'll still be coming to the gatherings.:smile2::wink:

15. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Thanks everyone forr the kinda words I have replayed it several times in my head wanting to and not wanting to! The truck is fixed only took about a week to get the parts in. Parts counts was new rim, tire, rotor and brake set up on that side. The final word was the bolt did not break it came out! Looks like one more thing to check ever so often. In all the total was well lets just say the boat fund got tap real well on that on. Angain thank you to all that posted, I hope maybe by post this someone else doesn't have to go thru the same thing.

16. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    i guess at least the wheel stayed on that would have REEEEEL expensive. easyer to controll the vehicle but does some damage when tire mEATS fender

17. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Congrats on a great job of driving and instincts. It's good to know that you were able to walk away with just a dent in your wallet and not in your hide. Truth about the one set of footprints in the sand--That My Son is where I carried You. Stay safe and may God continue riding shotgun with you!!!:wink:

18. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Wheel stayed on tire did not stay on. The tire rolled off the rim, when I came to a stop the tire was half on the rim and half off.

19. Circlehook Jester

Circlehook Jester New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Well, we are all glad you are okay and God was with you!

20. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Hold your beer and watch this.:smile2:
    Glad you made it out alright Dan.