Wild Hog Hunting

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by diodeman, Dec 2, 2005.

1. diodeman

diodeman New Member

State:
    Benton Co. Mo.
    Winchester "Practical Defender, model 1300", 22" barrel, 8 shot capacity, 12 gauge using slugs to hunt wild hogs with? The ads say, 'capable deer gun'. What is accurate range of this gun using slugs?

The hogs we suprised in the woods are in the 200 to 500lb range and they have a temper. While hunting squirrels we were run up a tree by several who attacked as a group. We figured our .22 long rifles would probably not bring these brutes down.

How accurate is the above shotgun with slugs and what range is reasonable to place accurate shots?

Help guys, we did a little detective work and found out from local farmer that the hogs are prolific and becoming more aggresive. We want to go get them. We have researched the rules, now we need the proper inexpensive guns to do it with. Thanks, diodeman@iland.net

2. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    You can expect accurate shot placements to 100 yards with slugs. The new rifled slug barrels are able to achieve a little more. Much beyond that you will experience bullet drop. Like any gun it requires experimenting with different shells to achieve the best patterns. They will definetly bring down those big hogs for you. Just remember the old boars have a armor skin layer on there front shoulders to protect them self from being tusked while fighting. Aim behind the front leg for best penetration. I saw a 300+ lb. boar that was shot over on wabbalo creek last year. I sure would like to get in on some of that myself. I had plans to bow hunt them but didnt get a chance to this fall. Let me know if you need a extra hand as I would sure go along and know how to butcher them also if needed.

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I've put a few hogs down with a 22 to the ear. Size means nothing when you rattle their brains. If you can pop a squirrel out of a tree, you could've put one of them down.

Can't tell you anything about the gun in question.

4. okiecop

okiecop New Member

State:
    Grove, OK
    I can't tell you anything about the gun. As far as the slugs go tho i wouldn't shoot from more than 50 yrds that 1oz chunk of lead bleeds off alot of power after that. Fond this out @ a range shooting 1/4" steel plate targets. From 100 yrds out you had to hit the plates just right to get them to drop from 50 and closer it didn't really matter.

5. flatheaddundee

flatheaddundee New Member

State:
    Madison,MS
    That would make a great close range hog gun. Some guides in Alaska and canada use 12 gauge slugs to bring down bears, when that slug hits them from close range that hog will look like it ran into a wall. But just like okie said make sure that the shots are close.

6. Beagle

Beagle New Member

Hi Folks.
    I have a lot of experience with slugs. With the new rifled slug barrels and sabot slugs and a scope you can get , for a shotgun, some amazing accuracy. The trick is finding out what brand you rig likes. 2-3" at 100 yards is what I get out of my cheap Mossberg 500 with a rifled barrel w/ cantilever scope mount.
    I have not killed a deer in over 10 years with anything but it. I lived up north where they only let ya use a shotgun in most places and am back down south where there are a lot of places where you can only use a rifle out of a stand. I like hunting in a stand, on the ground, still hunting, and don't like to limit my day. Any shot offered out to 125yards is going in the freezer if I am set up for the shot well.
    Energy and penetration? Look at the stat's on the many different sabot slugs out there. One that works well in my rig is from Hornady. That 300 grain slug is still carrying 1700# at 100 yards. No, this is not close to your favorite deer rifle energy but to put it all into perspective, I know enough folks who have shot hogs up close and with dogs and all they use is a 44mag pistol. It does the job. The muzzle energy of a 44 is at 1600#'s so the load I mention above is already hands down better.
    Go find a used 500, buy a rifled slug barrel with scopemount or get one for the rig you spoke about.
    check out www.nrapublications.org/TAH/Slugs.asp
    Go kill some hogs!

7. crossxsticks

crossxsticks Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Don't know about slugs ,but buckshot works well.
    I have killed em up to 360 lb with #4buck , 12 GA. works from 0 to 40yds

8. THE FISH WHISPER'ER

THE FISH WHISPER'ER New Member

State:
    waynesville ,IL
    i did it a few years back with a bow on the ground , that was an experiance especily after dark would do it again if i could use a fire arm but it's just a little to tough to bring em down with a bow (atleast for me) maybey i a'm a sissey

9. flatheaddundee

flatheaddundee New Member

State:
    Madison,MS
    Id go for a head shot with either one of em a gun or a bow

10. going_crazy46

going_crazy46 New Member

State:
    Pennasylvania
    Did you guys see the article in NC sportsman magizine about a 520 lb hog that was killed in tenn. after killing 18 cows.

11. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    some of the land i hunt on is so thick if you don't drop em' in their tracks the odds are you ain't gonna find em so we wait for a good shot and take our 12 guage and put buck in there head(amazing how fast that lead poisoning will drop a hog at 40 yrds.)....

12. smallriverrat

smallriverrat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    If you or any people around that area need help in hog control I will be more then willing to go down there and help in anyway I can. As for guns I got a 12 gauge (2 or 3) a 30/30, a SKS (2 or 3) and 2 9mm and one 45. And I have a current Mo hunter license and a tent also. If any of your friends need help in hunt control just let me know I will be more then happy to travel down there some weekend and kill some hogs.

Dave

13. topjimmy

topjimmy New Member

State:
    AZ
    I read an article in a handgun magazine in the late 80s about hog hunting. I don't remember where they were hunting, but they were hunting big hogs. It was around the same time Smith and Wesson introducted the "Classic Hunter", these days known as the "629 Classic".

There were a couple of articles about the 44 Mag in the magazine, but in this one, it was author's contention that the 357 Mag did not have enough juice for big hog hunting, and that the 44 was the minimum required hog medicine. He then told a story of his hunt where he pitted 357 against 44, and with the 357 he had to shoot his first hog something like 9 times before it went down, while the second hog he hunted with the 44 required only two shots. The shot placement was not wild either, they were all hits to vital areas. There were a bunch of other calibers used also, rifle and handgun. I wish I still had the article.

I realize that this has nothing to do with the original post, but I thought it was interesting. One thing is for sure, those big wild boars are MEAN. I would think that 12 gauge slugs would do the job, though.

14. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    headed out hog hunting this coming weekend out here in California. Wish me luck.

15. diodeman

diodeman New Member

State:
    Benton Co. Mo.
    I bought the Winchester model 1300 'Practical Defender'. Mounted a red dot sight on it and have already harvested two boars in the 250 to 300lb. range from about 75 yards out. It is a sweet weapon! Thanks for the advice gentlemen!

16. fourwglenn

fourwglenn New Member

State:
    Ocala,Fla.
    Dang those guys where bad shots if they killed all those cows tryin to shoot that hog. :thumbdown :rolleyes: