Wild Greens

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by waterwalker, Apr 23, 2006.

1. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    Does anyone still hunt ramps or wild leek? What about dandelion greens, my mother wilted allot of greens with a little bacon fat. The flowers make
    a good wine...they are excellent deep fried with a beer batter, they are
    kind of nutty tasting almost like a mushroom.

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Maybe every few years I'll get a notion to go out and gather some poke salad, but that's about it.

3. APD1146

APD1146 New Member

State:
    New York
    Yes indeed the good old days. I do collect and eat ramps and wild scallions and leeks. Humm good. We also collect what we call breaks which are the tender young shoots of the fiddlehead fern. You collect them as they get about 8 to 12 inches tall. At that point they are all stem with the head not yet open. Good in a tossed salad or I like to do, steam them or heat in a pan with milk and a little butter. They taste like aspargus either way.
    As for dandillions, I have been eating them for years, either in a tossed salad or steaming with butter. As for the flowers I make wine out of them. There are other things I find and eat as well, but you get the idea.

4. APD1146

APD1146 New Member

State:
    New York
    I should have mentioned the reason for calling the fiddlehead ferns breaks. They are so easy to collect. They snap or break right off like a dry twig. No knife needed and they can be eaten as you collect them. All-natural !!