wild grass carp

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by drpepper, May 27, 2008.

1. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    are there wild grass carp in indiana?? if so, where at?

2. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    pep i dont think there are any fishable numbers of them bro. you have to buy them or find a pond that is stocked with them. i hear you can catch them on cherry tomatos and corn.

3. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Well thats too bad. Ive got (at last count) 9 G P that I bought from a hatchery their freakin' HUGE now and they do their job well.
    Well I've excavated another pond now and would like just a few for it.... it's a much smaller pond... my dilemma is; if I buy small ones, and put them in the small pond,,, they'd get out, because the small pond is built into a creek.... if'n I transfer the big ones to the small pond and put the small one's in the big pond (lol) the flathead's (and probably the blues)that I have in there would just feast on them @ 15 + - bucks a snack (+ del)... ya can't get flathead-proof sized G P from the hatchery... so, hmmm???:embarassed:

4. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Pepper: There should NOT be any wild "populations" of grass carp in Indiana...there may be a few escapies but they should not be able to turn into a population. All grass carp sold in Indiana are supposed to be certified "triploid" (an extra set of chromosomes..if I remember correctly) and therefore sterile.

5. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    well thats kinda what I thought but wasnt sure about it I seen people talkin' about asian carp and made me wonder

6. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    OK Pepper...grass carp (I think) are from Asia (maybe Asia Minor) but the Asian carp you're hearing people talk about in our rivers are bighead carp and silver carp -- both exotic species that primarily escaped from fish farms during the 1995 flood of the Mississippi River (if memory serves me corrrect). These 2 species are a prized food in the Asian fish markets in the US (and around the world) but as an introduced exotic species can have devastating effects on our river ecosystems. I'm not up on the current research, but I do know there spreading like wildfire! These critters are not triploid & obviously can & have produced huge population in the Mississippi River watershed.

7. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    ok gotcha, Interesting.