Wild Fires ! What is going on?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by Aquacat, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Aquacat

Aquacat New Member

State:
    Sherman, Texas
    Guys, what the heck is going in oklahoma. I was driving up to marlow to see my folks the other day and I-35 around wynnewood it was just black everywhere both sides of the hiway! I saw burnt down homes and barns! Wild fires are getting out of control. We need some rain badly!

2. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    I would love to give you some rain, it has been raining all day here in South Carolina.

chris

3. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    I think alot has to do with litterbugs. For the love of god.... use the ashtray.
    There was one in the Little Axe/ Norman area. It threatened my friends house. They belive it was started intentionally.
    Today I was on the highway and the signs they use for Amber Alerts and other important saftey advisorys said high fire danger. Hopefully it will get people thinking before they throw a cig butt out the window.
    David Frantz

4. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    My wife was driving back from OKC last night and when they got home the car smelled like smoke. Between the fires in OKC and all up the I-44 interstate they saw a bunch of them. She said some were so big they looked like a sunset except at 9:00 at night. We need rain and not just for the fishing.

5. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    was leavein the lake today seen where a big fire burned a huge place on the side of the road had to be from a cig i dont under stand why people toss them out the window ive always my ashtray i dont think there is a car that doesnt have one stock. sure thought there was going to be alot of fires due to fireworks on new years. youd have to be a moron to light a firework right now

6. Aquacat

Aquacat New Member

State:
    Sherman, Texas
    I just heard that nathan lost a grandparent due to the fires. I'm really sorry nathan. These fires are really taking a toll on a lot of people and places. We need rain bad!

7. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Yes, we do need rain VERY badly.

As for ashtrays in ever car. NOPE. A lot of new cars are now coming without ashtrays.

8. glenc

glenc New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Not directing this at you TDawg.

Even IF a car has no ashtray you have to be an idiot to throw a lit ciggarette out of the car or on the ground. Especially right now in Ok. I think that if your caught doing it there should not only be a HUGE fine but the possibility of some jail time. There is NO excuse for it.

9. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    seen on the news that there even more fires that started up yesterdat one is close to my home town around here they are sayin if you get caught throwin a cig out the window of your car its a ticket right then no warnings around 180 bucks i heard :eek: i think all these ppl that are startin these fires by throwin there cigs out the window wouldnt after there own family losses everything they own but im sure they arent burning trash barrels of trash or throwin their cigs down on there own property

10. TDawgNOk

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    In Oklahoma the fine is $220

11. glenc

glenc New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Should be 3 times that IMO :cursing:

12. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    texas isnt faring much better. i was with nikki over new years and the news was reporting that mere possesion of fireworks was a 2000 dollar fine. i didnt see any fire leaving little elm but when i got in the car to leave the air was clear but did smell of smoke. God bless those who have lost property and loved ones and may we have rain soon. Over here in the bayou state we are starting to have our own issues with fires too.

13. GS-Rock

GS-Rock New Member

State:
    FORT SILL, OK
    here in sill tonight we got a 20% of rain tonight after midnight, lets hope for the best

14. Aquacat

Aquacat New Member

State:
    Sherman, Texas
    Pray for rain we need it badly!

15. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    We have had fires break here in Arkansas in last few days. We have a big ond outside Hamburg.

16. TDawgNOk

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    We have a 30% chance of precipitation in Tulsa tonight. Lord, please let it rain down to take care of the incredible thirst of the land.

17. GS-Rock

GS-Rock New Member

State:
    FORT SILL, OK
    looks like now maybe snow huh?

18. TDawgNOk

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Rain and Snow for Oklahoma last night and today.

Should help the threat of wildfires for a few days.

19. okiefish

okiefish New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Eufaula Lake Affected by Drought
    by Aimee Jordan, Eufaula Lake Office

As 2005 draws to a close, a topic which has garnered attention and concern is the low level of Eufaula Lake. The Corps of Engineers wants the public to know that the low levels are caused by drought not management decisions at the lake. According to the Oklahoma Climatological Survey, the past six months are the driest on record since 1921, when record-keeping began. Southeastern Oklahoma is more than 12 inches below the normal annual rainfall.

I live in Oklahoma City and have a place at Eufaula.

Here's a post I saw on here:

At this time, unless significant rainfall occurs, the lake will remain low. This situation is consistent across the region. In fact southeastern Oklahoma is experiencing a record drought.

As of December 1, 2005, the lake level was 578.89, more than six feet below normal. The following are historic low levels for Eufaula Lake:

575.06 19 Jan 1977
    575.87 12 Oct 1972
    576.08 28 Feb 1970
    578.19 17 Sep 1970
    578.63 6 Dec 1980

20. TDawgNOk

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Just an update for those of you who are interested:

Since Nov, 1, 2005, There have been more than 415,000 acres burned in Oklahoma. The fires have destroyed more than 250 homes and businesses, and claimed 2 lives.

Please pray for the Sooner state, as well as Co, KS, MO, AR, and TX to get some rain.