Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
will that bait in the tube work, bought some and havn't tried it. plus
i've found that I have catawaba worms everywhere. how do I use them,are the good, great or bad?

·
Registered
9,715 Posts
will that bait in the tube work, bought some and havn't tried it. plus
i've found that I have catawaba worms everywhere. how do I use them,are the good, great or bad?

The Catalpa(way I say it) are GREAT for channels!!! Some people put them on the hook aand turn them inside out.I just put them on the hook and go.
Me personally,I never do any good on any commercial baits.I also don't catch many with frozen shad. Its hard to beat live or fresh cut gills or shad and they are free to get!

·
Registered
824 Posts
I've never had any luck with commercial baits.

·
Registered
2 Posts
since everyone says not to use commercial baits. what should i use, besides nightcrawlers and chicken livers? becuase i was gonna bye the shad in the bag but not anymore haha.:roll_eyes:

·
Registered
309 Posts
I did well last year with Shad guts ( buy frozen at bait shop), Bait shrimp,( at grocery store, frozen food dept.). Going to try DK punch bait this summer. Fresh cut shad, gill, or sucker would get the most votes here, fresher, bloodier, the better.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Of the commercial baits available, the only thing I've ever had work is Bee-Jay stinkbait. They do still make it, though it may be a regional thing (try wallyworld). It's mostly rotten limburger cheese, as far as I can tell. You're more likely to catch eating-sized fish as opposed to tackle manglers using a commercial stinkbait, IMHO. Nothing wrong with that, though.

I've never tried the pre-packaged preserved shad myself, but they don't look like they'd work...and from other people's "testing" of them, I'd say steer clear of them.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Ive tried i think about all the dip baits, and "Sonny's & Danny Kings Punch bait seem to work the best for me if I'm stinkbaitin..........

I agree.. I've tried most over the years.. DK and Sonny's will always bring in the eaters. Most other stuff I used was spotty at best, if they worked at all...

As far as packaged Shad, Dont waste your money. You would be much better off buying a castnet and getting fresh anyway. Once you start netting your bait, you won't even bother trying to buy or make your bait anymore hehe.. Nothing like jut grabbing your gear and heading out without having to make sure you got bait, etc.. Castnet, one of the most effective tools in a catfishermans arsenal.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Catfish Charlie wild cat shad dough balls work wonders caught 10 big cat yesterday in a matter of hours of the shore with the tide out 3.99 at dicks and the cat tare the up

·
Registered
312 Posts
If you can't catch fresh bait my next choice at the store would be raw frozen shrimp or chicken breasts. Fresh bait from the water you're fishing would always be my first choice...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts