Wild cat blood or already packaged shad

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by skipper1, Apr 12, 2007.

1. skipper1

skipper1 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    DOES IT WORK FOR CHANNEL CATS, IS IT ACTUALLY GOOD OR JUST A SCAM.

2. tritech

tritech New Member

State:
    NC
    i never had any luck on the packaged shad...

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've never had any luck with any kind of commercial catfish baits.

4. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    used the packaged shad twice and caught fish on every rod but the shad. Total scam.

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I would just use Nightclawers or Chicken Liver for bait.

6. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    some good ol bee-jay works (if they even make it anymore)

7. skipper1

skipper1 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    will that bait in the tube work, bought some and havn't tried it. plus
    i've found that I have catawaba worms everywhere. how do I use them,are the good, great or bad?

8. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

The Catalpa(way I say it) are GREAT for channels!!! Some people put them on the hook aand turn them inside out.I just put them on the hook and go.
    Me personally,I never do any good on any commercial baits.I also don't catch many with frozen shad. Its hard to beat live or fresh cut gills or shad and they are free to get!

9. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I've never had any luck with commercial baits.

10. catkid91

catkid91 New Member

State:
    IL
    since everyone says not to use commercial baits. what should i use, besides nightcrawlers and chicken livers? becuase i was gonna bye the shad in the bag but not anymore haha.:roll_eyes:

11. primitive

primitive Member

State:
    Dav. Ia.
    I did well last year with Shad guts ( buy frozen at bait shop), Bait shrimp,( at grocery store, frozen food dept.). Going to try DK punch bait this summer. Fresh cut shad, gill, or sucker would get the most votes here, fresher, bloodier, the better.

12. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    Of the commercial baits available, the only thing I've ever had work is Bee-Jay stinkbait. They do still make it, though it may be a regional thing (try wallyworld). It's mostly rotten limburger cheese, as far as I can tell. You're more likely to catch eating-sized fish as opposed to tackle manglers using a commercial stinkbait, IMHO. Nothing wrong with that, though.

I've never tried the pre-packaged preserved shad myself, but they don't look like they'd work...and from other people's "testing" of them, I'd say steer clear of them.

13. d_guerrero1

d_guerrero1 New Member

State:
    Roselle, Illinois
    Packaged shad are crap stick to chicken livers shrimp or dip bait

14. fabius_river_rat

fabius_river_rat New Member

State:
    Northeast Missouri
    Ive tried i think about all the dip baits, and "Sonny's & Danny Kings Punch bait seem to work the best for me if I'm stinkbaitin..........

15. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL

I agree.. I've tried most over the years.. DK and Sonny's will always bring in the eaters. Most other stuff I used was spotty at best, if they worked at all...

As far as packaged Shad, Dont waste your money. You would be much better off buying a castnet and getting fresh anyway. Once you start netting your bait, you won't even bother trying to buy or make your bait anymore hehe.. Nothing like jut grabbing your gear and heading out without having to make sure you got bait, etc.. Castnet, one of the most effective tools in a catfishermans arsenal.

16. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    The best thing to do is get a throw net and get some shad(free bait) it works the best for me.