Wild and Wierd Kansas Weather

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by rush_60, Dec 29, 2008.

1. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    Kansas weather is crazy as we all know, thought this could be a place to share our experiences as they happen.

I was at work 12/27 and my wife called me at 1:50 in the morning and said she that a micro burst had just came through and hit our house. It was so loud that she grabbed my daughter and ran to the basement. Now we have lived in this place for almost 8 years and we have had winds almost 60mph go through and this was way worse according to her. Anyway the only damage we had was my antenna pole got bent, and a few downed branches. I had a friend that lives in a trailer and a third of his roof was taken off, my uncles garage had roof damage and another persons shed was flatened. My uncle was telling me today that it was a confirmed tornado but I havent heard any actual reports of that yet, so I'm not so sure.

The funny thing was when I came to work it was 60 degrees. When I went home it was freezing rain and I couldn't get the front door open because of the ice accumulation.

2. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Casey, glad everything at your home was okay, cept for the minor damage.
    Nothing as dramatic as your experience, I made a post in the Milford Lake thread on the lake condition change in 3 days. Christmaseve, lake was froze over solid, Christmas day, water puddles on the lake, day after Christmas, lake was back to water, ice free, except for the coves, today, the coves were mostly ice free, like you said, WEIRD Kansas weather:smile2:

3. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    Glad to hear that the house and family are OK Casey....Oh ya and no damage to the Yak! :big_smile:
    I came up and hunted on Friday. Sure was strange to be sitting in a tree at the end of december with 60 degree weather. Thought the Deer might might be out in force to enjoy the weather. Didn't see a thing. Plenty of mud as I was walking across the corn field though.:eek:oooh:

4. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    We had a downburst in Concordia in 1992. That tore a whole lot of things up. Here is the little summary from The National Weather Service.

Jul 8, 1992
    Severe thunderstorms produced a very long downburst at Concordia
    Kansas. Peak one minute sustained winds reached 108 mph at
    Concordia Airport and exceeded 60 mph for over 20 minutes. Six
    people were injured and damage was estimated at $25 million.

5. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Casy glad to hear evrything is all right.

It was a weird change in weather.
    Like Jim said about Milford the same was for Perry.It was still frozen solid on Friday then after the rains on Fri night it was all open by 11am Sat then was froze again on Sunday morning.

I dont know if I need the ice auger or the boat from day to day.:confused2:

6. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Yeah this weather is weird. I think you northeners faired worse than we did.
    I was layin down and kept hearin spurts of hard rain. They would only last for like three seconds. Then I seen a little lightnin. So I went outside and it started POURIN. Thunder and everything. The temps were in the 5os, it was nice. I was havin spring flashbacks.:big_smile:
    Then once it died down I went to bed and woke up to everything frozen.:sad2::angry:
    Glad everything is alright Casey. Sounds like your wife was on top of everything.

7. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    We had 70-80 mph winds come through about 4:45am Saturday, it was pretty wild. I'm still cleaning up the small branches. The roar of the approaching winds was something to hear, we had 8 house guests and EVERYONE woke up before the wind even got here. We thought it was hailing too, but it was probably yust all of the twigs hitting the house. We had a dozen or so small and a couple of medium sized limbs down, but there were several full sized trees blown over in the neighborhood, and there were about 15,000 people who lost power in the KC area, and a few structures and aircraft were damaged.

8. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Funny thing is that there were counties in the area with a Severe Thunderstorm Warning and an Ice Storm Warning at the same time. :crazy:

9. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    That is crazy Gary. Glad you didnt get the worst of it.
    I guess we will have to wait and see what else she has up her sleeve.:beat_brick:
    Speaking of sleeves, I cant wait until I can wear short ones.:smile2:

10. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Saturday I got treated to what sounded like being sandblasted with gravel
    for about 10 min. Pea sized hail everywhere. My yard is a twig scattered
    mudhole and snow is just a memory.

11. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    Earlyier this week here in So IN we had -0 degrees. Today we had 61 high. Do I need my heavy winter coat today or just a freezer jacket
    or a T-shirt would be even better. I've seen times when it was both sunny
    & raining!:confused2:

12. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Same here in Kansas David, yesterday high 50's, then today, 30's, little blizzard blowing now, the little bit of water that was open on the lake yesterday will probably be frozen by tomorrow:roll_eyes::smile2:

13. Big Vic

Big Vic New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Bout the same here to guys 50 yes. 20's today, mini blizzard this afternoon -6 now and a couple inches of snow !! :confused2::confused2::sad2:

14. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Been workin out Vic?:wink::smile2:

15. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    :smile2::smile2::smile2:

16. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    My wife woke me up just an hour ago to a structure fire just a block down from our home. 6 Fire Trucks, 2 Ambulances, & I'm only guessing 6 or more Cruisers blocking & directing traffic. The structure has 2 or 3 small businesses there including one Chiropractor.

17. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    My wife woke me up just an hour ago to a structure fire just a block down from our home. 6 Fire Trucks, 2 Ambulances, & I'm only guessing 6 or more Cruisers blocking & directing traffic. The structure has 2 or 3 small businesses there including one Chiropractor.

18. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany

19. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany

20. Phoneman53

Phoneman53 New Member

State:
    Olivet, Kansas,
    Looks like a 4 alarm fire......dls....too dang cold to be fighting fires...to bad more good people having more stress put into there lives,,,hope nobody gets hurt......