Wifes strange bait

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by hopnbrly, May 2, 2008.

1. hopnbrly

hopnbrly New Member

State:
    California
    My wife recently caught me off guard on a bait idea.A little background info first,My wife is not a die hard fisherperson by any means and a bit hesitant to bait her own hook normally.Myself,I usually dont hesitate to put stink bait online with my hands.With that being said,she recently made a suggestion that actually took me by surprise.We live in a country area and as such we have a large population of field mice and my wife has a cat that is a expert at catching them.Problem lies in the fact that that after the cat kills them she doesnt usually eat them.My wife brings up the fact that in the delta we use mouse type lures for bass why wouldnt a real mouse work as bait?I responded with catfish are different than bass,she answerered withI thought you told me that they like to eat dead animals.Still shocked I responded in a matter sounding similar to a small school girl and said im not going to bait up a dead mouse thinking that she would also say she wouldnt either,to my surprise she confidently said"I would"now the question comes Even though mouse is certainly not a common bait for channels do you all think it might actually work?

2. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    actually i was going to do the same thing as for the last couple yrs when we harvest our channels after a good rain most of them have mice and birds in there gut so they should work let me know how it works out

3. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Your wife has a great point lol its surprising some of the ideas a wife can come up with, thats a good suggestion, and shes right they do have some replica mouse baits, who knows I doubt if alot of people try it may end up doing the trick, if you try it keep us informed on how it works for you, sounds like you have your self a smart wife there brother.

4. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    sure sounds like good reasoning comparing ot to the lures, should work!!!

5. Mizzbigcat

Mizzbigcat New Member

State:
    Warren County Ohio
    We live on 12 acres and the mice are so crazy here they will run right up to our dogs! I'd love to use the pesky little critters as bait. Let me know if she gives it a try and how it works out for you...

6. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i have used live mice hooked in the skin of the back leg in creeks and farm bonds. i caught bass, but i'm sure cats would eat em too. we caught them in a tube style minnow trap, with a piece of cardboard and peanut butter wired to the inside of the middle. just shake the trap to stun the mice, and they are easy to remove. used to do the catch them the same way when i trapped as a kid.

7. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I dont see why they wouldnt work,ive never tried it,and really never thought to try it but heck give it a shot.Let us know what happens im sure we all would like to know how that one turns out.

8. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Well they are called catfish arent they? LOL

9. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    :smile2: Now thats a good point! :smile2:

10. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    about 10 years ago my cousin caught a 6 pound channel cat and when he cleaned it we found a 1 pound rat in its stomach.

11. catfishbrett

catfishbrett New Member

State:
    Steubenville,Ohio
    Cut up pieces of chicken and beef work real well,:wink:so mice should to.Just stab it in the guts to get the blood out and toss it on out there.

12. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Good luck with the mice. Thanks for the recommendation. Let us know how it works.

13. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i just thought of something- maybe the pinkie mice would work even better. as long as you were gentle enough on the cast, you could hold 4 or 5 on a hook. or maybe pinkie rats! if i get any surplus snake food this summer, i might try this....

14. fshnutz

fshnutz New Member

State:
    Sacramento California
    This reminds me of a story that an old timer once told me. He was 86 years old. The story started out "when i was a boy" as most old timer stories usually do. He said they would catch some mice and head for the pond. They would hook the mouse through the tail. Then they would put the mouse on a small board or similar floating object. They would send it out in the pond. The mouse would walk around on the floating object looking for escape. He said the bass were used to looking for shadows or vibration from up above ( frogs on lillypads for example). Anyway, he said they would let the mouse walk around for about 10 minutes or so, then they would yank the mouse in the water. He said the bass would grad the mouse right away, because they were under the surface waiting the bait to fall off. I have always wanted to try this. It sounds so cool.
    Linz

15. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    this is an old school way to get flatheads it should work very well i am going have to try that rick

16. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    I had an old lure that looked like a mouse swimming through the water. I used it well on bass bu running it off of lily pads. One summer I caught several cats on it. In the lake I was fishing in I found that if I reeled it off of the pads across the water and after about 15-20 feet I paused the lure something would start bumping it. I dropped a trailer hook on it and started catching cat fish on it.

17. hopnbrly

hopnbrly New Member

State:
    California
    My wife still hasnt actually tried it yet.I think that this test will only be fair if I catch a cat first and then if we cast into the same area with our different baits and see the results.But her cat has provided some, and Sue (my wife) with her with a few mice and she is lookig forward to kicking my butt with her mice against my chicken liver.The battle will be on and only here in california would we think of this battle.Who do you think will win?

18. Larry Beever

Larry Beever New Member

State:
    Indianapolis Indiana
    I made a post last year about using mice for
    bait and I recieved some bitter replies. But
    I was'nt talking about using dead mice. A lot
    of the members here defended me well. But others thought it was just cruel. Of course I'm
    sure the same people have no problem hooking a live worm,fish,crawdad,etc.for bait. But using that cute little ol mouse was just too much for them to bear. Hmmm?

19. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Fishing on a small river as a kid we found some baby mice or rats I didn't know what they were. But my cousin and I were out of bait and about a mile from the farm down river so we tryed them and caught a couple nice channels.

20. River dog

River dog New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Sounds like a good idea to me, let us know if live or dead are better also your wife will win anytime my wife goes fishing she always catches all the fish..