Wife got her first deer this evening, kinda, almost. :-(

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Big Dav, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    I was setting here reading post this evening around 6:30 6:45 pm and he phone rang. Did not recognize the number on the caller ID. Answered :confused2:the phone and it was my wife. Tells me she had a deer run out in front of her. She is crying and scared to death. I find out enough to know about where she is and out the door I go. I get there and her car is messed up all down the passenger side, front bumper cover, front fender and both doors.:sad2:
    Wife was fine just scared to death. So scared she had not even thought to call the police yet. We sat there two hours waiting on that joker. :angry:
    He gets there and tells me he doesn't think the damage is enough to file a police report. My wifes daily driver is a Ford Focus (gas mileage getter) but it is a brand new Ford Focus. Just bought it a few months ago. I let him know this is a new car and I think the damage is going to be well over the $1,000 amount needed to file a police report. When I told him it was a new car he agreed that it was worth a report. What, if it was a few years old it would not be worth a report?:angry::angry:
    He takes his sweet time to fill out the report, almost 30 minutes. I ask him about the deer. ( I am thinking dinner) Darn thing crushed my car I am going to eat it for revenge.:smile2: We drive back up the road to where the deer was. It stands up when my lights hit it. Front leg broken almost off and acted like it could not put weight on the opposite rear leg. It did not do anything but stand up and the other deer all ran off. Must have been thirty or more deer in that field.
    I ask the office if he wanted to shoot it or if he wanted me to shoot it. I was being very serious! His reply shocked me.:crazy: He said since the deer stood up it will be fine and said he had to leave...and advised me to do the same.
    :crazy::angry::crazy:
    This deer is not going to make it, it was hurt way to bad to make it. I started to cross the field after the trouper left but I did not want to get in trouble for trespassing, signs every where, NO TRESPASSING. It is very warm out tonight or I would go talk to the land owner tomorrow and see about getting the deer. I am thinking about reporting the officer for his lack of action. I have seen officers put deer and other animals down after accidents. Either he was scared he would miss or he did not want to have to walk through the wet grass. Either way it was pretty sorry in my opinion.:angry: I hate to see that deer suffer any more than it has already.:sad2:

The wife was alone on her way back from work and she is fine. The car is going to the body shop tomorrow for an estimate. Looks like the worse thing was the lose of the deer and the $500 deductible on our insurance.:sad2:
    Sorry for the long winded post, just needed to vent about his situation,
    Thanks
    David

2. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    report him, David - he is an idiot:angry:...and i would have went and got the deer...you would have saved a lot of suffering on its part:sad2:

3. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    in some situations it get dangerous for an officer to put himself out on a limb. If he was to shoot the deer that had enuff "alive" in it to stand and run off someone could get him into trouble for shooting it. I know it sucks to see a deer that will probably die run off but sometimes we just have to let nature take its course. Worst case scenario the deer dies slowly but becomes an excellent meal for the other wildlife in the area.
    BTW an accident form CAN take awhile to fill out. They have extremely small blocks on them and a TON of info goes in. If it is low light it can take me up to half an hr to get it all filled out.

4. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Phil,
    I was kinda linked to the scene if I went across the field with light and gun. Neighbors hear a shot, call the law for poaching. I get in hot water for trying to do what would have been right. I will have a sleepless night knowing that deer is suffering but I don't think I should have did more than I did. :sad2: With all the NO Trespassing signs every where, and it being after dark. That left me with a total lack of options in this situation.

James,
    I know the report would have taken time to feel out. Been involved with more than my fair share. I have a problem with it taking two hours for him to arrive. Then his opinion on the deer. Very clear that this deer could not run off and it was hurt bad.
    Thanks for the replies,
    David

5. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    I am glad your wife is alright! A deer can shore tear up a car. The cop should have called game and fish com. If he couldn't do anything about it.

6. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Richard,
    I never even thought about calling a game warden. I am going to do that right now and see what he says. I am sure it is to late and if the deer could it has wondered off. Thanks for the idea.
    I will post about what the Game Warden tells me.

Thanks
    David

7. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    Cops take there sweet time when they want to. glad your wife is ok.

8. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Game warden or who ever it was I talked to said I would need the land owners permission since it was posted land. So I guess that is that for tonight.:angry:
    I hate this happened but at least my wife is not hurt. She will be fine after her nerves calm down a little more.
    Thanks everyone,
    David

9. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    Years ago when I was a kid I went to an Indiana State Police Camp.
    One of the state troopers told us a story about a hurt deer in the median
    on I 64.He went to shot it and put it out of its misery.And the cb he had
    in his car started blaring truckers calling out "Trooper killing Bambi" over and over.
    Glad the wifes okay I have damage on my jeep from a suicidal doe.

10. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Brother Dave;
    First, I am very HAPPY to know your wife was not hurt, physically that is as I am sure the trauma of an experience like that can be very unsettling!
    Second, policies differ from State to State, even county to county, and, unfortunately nowadays there is that "Litigation and Liability" BullS*it to deal with that is causing more and more people to loose what little commonsense they may have had!:sad2: In times past, the animal would have been put out of it's misery but you normally would NOT be allowed to take custody of the animal yourself because strange as it may seem, there has been the odd individual that would deliberately try to hit a deer, or other game animal, just to keep it for themselves!!!:angry: In my experience, and remember this is in another State, the animal would be "put down" and the Game Warden, or Sheriff's Deputy, would transport the animal to a zoo to feed some of the carnivores wild game meat. There are other options but I will not list them here because it's not the important part.
    When I lived in another State, I was often called, by the Law Enforcement Department, to take care of situations such as this. I won't go into details because they don't really apply to your situation and your not a resident of that State and this was a long time ago!
    Still, and this is just my humble opinion; REPORT THAT LEO!, {LEO = Law Enforcement Officer} and keep a copy of the written complaint! Just remember that this individual sounds like someone that will be on the lookout for your vehicle in the days and months ahead. There are a lot of law enforcement people like that nowadays with it only getting worse as time passes. I don't care how "bad" a day that "officer" was having, it's no excuse for that type of attitude. It may not be his fault that it took two hours for him to get there, especially if he might have been the only unit available for 50 miles and there was a lot of wrecks at the time or a robbery in progress, but again, I refer to the attitude!
    No matter how bad a day your having, the people involved in the next call you answer don't care about that! All they care about is that your taking care of their ''needs'' in a timely, efficient, CARING, manner because after all, they are the ones that contribute to your paycheck each week. I do speak with some past experience on this particular subject too.
    Brother Dave, before I get too long winded, let me list the Important Part of your situation and try to give you an opinion from a different perspective.
    The MOST IMPORTANT part of your whole story is that YOUR WIFE IS O.K.! Shaken up emotionally, but it COULD have been a whole lot worse! I had a cousin of mine that had a deer come through his windshield!! He spent some time in a hospital! Nuff said on the cousin!
    The car can be repaired! That is why we have insurance and there should be No Reason for your rates to increase either! A deer/automobile collision is considered "An act of God" by insurance companies and thus, you cannot be held legally responsible!
    You can report the officer and in addition, you have contacted your local Game Warden so be sure to get all of the latest information on the laws and policies of your area as it applies to situations such as yours. Hopefully you, or your wife, will never have this happen again, but having the knowledge of what to do and how to do it will certainly help you to help one of your friends or associates if this unfortunate situation should happen to them. :)
    Depending on whether your complaint about the officer is the first, or one of several, will determine how the administration handles the complaint. At the least, you will get a "Form" letter apologizing for your difficulty and telling you that there were a lot of calls that night and the system was operating understaffed and overloaded. If that is the case you might want to consider "letting it go". {{ NOTE: Remember, Your Wife is O.K.! }}
    If this officer has had several complaints of this nature you still may get the form letter but the officer will have a disciplinary action of some sort applied to him depending on the policy of the department, ect, ect.
    In the above case, and if this is a larger department that can afford to loose a man and not be severely understaffed you may either get a visit from the Internal Affairs Department, or be asked to come in for a "Formal" statement. What happens here is dependent on departmental policy, again, ect, ect, ad nasium.
    I'm getting too long winded here!:sad2:
    The IMPORTANT Thing to REMEMBER is: "Your Wife is O.K. and NOT in a hospital undergoing emergency surgery to keep her alive!!
    Traumatic, Definitely, and of course, that poor Deer is going to pay the price too, but not for long. Nature has a way of taking care of things such as this in her own, sometimes, brutal, fashion.
    I don't know your religious beliefs but there is a saying that goes something like:
    "Grant me the power to change the things I can, accept the things I can't, and the WISDOM to Know The Difference."
    You might also consider this too among the other things that your bound to have running through your head at this time. :wink:
    Brother Dave, I APOLOGIZE for being so long winded!:sad2: Your post touched me in a way that said you have never had to deal with this particular type of situation under the conditions you were under! So, being me, I just had to step in and go beyond the typical "Man I'm really sorry, what bad luck" thing that you will get from your neighbors while they wring their hands and look away uncomfortably, from you or at the ground. Hopefully you have better neighbors than this! :)
    IF there is anything else I can do to help you out, please send me a PM and we will go from there. :) I will do whatever I can do to help out.
    For now, I am going to close, get this sent, and go light a candle and say a Prayer of THANKS that your wife was not seriously hurt physically and that you are given the strength and Wisdom to deal with this situation the best that any man/husband could hope to do.
    I guess now I know why I woke up this early hour and started looking around the BOC Board! :wink:
    Please keep in touch as best you can. Let me know what else I can do to help you, and your wife, through this situation. Oh, one other thing! Give your wife a Heartfelt Hug, look into her eyes and tell her from your Heart that you Love her, that she is the most important thing in your life, even beyond your own life, and that you are thankful that she was not seriously hurt!! If it comes from the heart, it works wonders on healing the emotional trauma you wife, and yourself, are going through as it puts a lot of things in perspective. :wink:
    Take Care, Keep In Touch and Let us ALL know how things turn out!
    Fraternally, and Sincerely,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post, but NOT the Warm Thoughts and Prayers]]]]]

11. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Im not a Police Officer but what if he was on another accident where there were people hurt. Yours was a low priority due to the car was drivable and no one was hurt except being scared. 2 hours does seem pretty excessive but if your in the boonies (I used to live in Norfolk and Hampton Roads) then nighttime navigation on those roads can be treacherous (sp). Like I was saying before tho it was a low priority.

I hope your wife is ok

12. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Thanks for the replies.
    I went back to where my wife hit the deer today. Had to pick up my son from the school my wife works at. She was on the way home last night after practice for the Christmas play when she hit the deer.
    I could not find the deer but I did find where it bed down for the night. Some blood (not much blood but we did have a little rain last night) and a lot of hair. Same place i last saw it last night. I could not tell which direction the deer went and could not find any other sign. Someone may have moved it fr all I know. It was in plain sight from the highway.
    I asked around to find the land owners name. Found out from one of his neighbors that he is very bad off and just had open heart surgery and is not doing well. He is at home but is bed fast and has in home care with him at all times. I am glad I did not bother him last night about the deer.
    I started to report the officer but I decided it would not be worth the hassle that i would most likely bring upon myself and my wife. Since she drives that car on that road five days a week I did not want him giving her problems, you just never know.
    As I look at it today, it is better left alone. If there is ever a next time I will put the deer down before the law arrives. If he asks I will tell him I put the animal down but if he doesn't then what he don't know won't hurt him.:roll_eyes:
    If he says I was not suppose to shoot the deer. My reply would be something like. I was doing a public service, I was afraid the deer might get back into the road. Sometimes in life it is better to ask for forgiveness than permission. Most married men knows what I am talking about.:smile2::eek:oooh:
    Thanks again for the comments and well wishes for my wife. She is fine today.

David

13. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Our great System......and to all ,sometimes you have to ask yerself is it right?You have to wake up and stare in the mirror fer the decisions you made and were they right...????.Loose no sleep life will go on but NEXT TIME It AINT HAPPININ NO MATTER THY CONSEQUENCES! Dave fer every action there is a reaction you did the right thing cause the consequinces would of not been worth it otherwise.All is well and no one is hurt except prideand a machine.....as fer the animal thats the way it goes.......................

14. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    people like that really piss me off, "the deer will be fine" well thats a load of bull!... well was it a buck or a doe?

15. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Wil,
    That was the second question I asked my wife when I got there and knew she was OK. It was a big doe and i do mean a big doe. Which it probably helped that there were well stock grain bins all around this property for the cattle and the deer. Feeders were full but there were no cows in the fields, figure that one..:confused2:
    Kenny,
    Thanks for the comments.:0a31:

Check out this possible twist to the situation if I would have reported the officer.:crazy:

I found out after my wife got home tonight it was a very good thing I did not report the trooper for his actions or lack of action. As it would turn out, the trooper is a close relative of the principle of the school that my wife works at and my son attends. Man, you talking about stirring up some stink. :eek:oooh: That would have been an ugly situation to say the least. I am thanking the good Lord in heaven I left well enough alone and so is my wife.
    Darn small town living, everybody is related to someone.:smile2::eek:oooh::sad2::crazy:

Thanks again everyone.
    David