Wife bit by a scorpion!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by smokey, Jun 3, 2008.

1. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Okay we have lived in Tennessee for 20 years and I thought we have incountered just about every kind of bug bite going.But today my wife was bite by a scorpion. Now being a Yankee by birth I dont know nothin about no scorpions.Do we need to call the Doc.?I watched suvivor and some guy got bit by a jellyfish and they had some guy whizz on it will that help?:embarassed: Any help form anyone.thankx
    smokey

2. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Joe,

Never heard of scorpions in TN, but what do I know?

Here is a link I found rather quickly. It has an 800 number on it to call, if you want, and gives a brief description of what may help.

http://phoenix.about.com/cs/desert/ht/scorpionsting.htm

Prayers your way, and keep us informed.
    Cheryl

P.S. Sure wish we had an official M.D. on this site.

3. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
  4. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Anything in the South is terrible Joe. Look how they vote, Byrd being an example. Get your wife North, at least to New Jersey to get help. Make sure you got enough gas.

Don't suck the venom. Don't pour beer on it, save that for the trip North. If you can't make it North at least call a Northern Physician.

Joe just call a doctor, please.

5. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Those things hurt like heck......the only thing you need to watch with scorpion bites is if a person is alergic to one. I was stung by one when I was about 7 and had to go to the hospital. I am not alergic to bees or wasps either. If you take some raw onion, and put on any sting it will help.....

Lol I live in Oklahoma so they are pretty common around here. My brother lives in a old house in the country and was stung 3 times last year......lol

6. JRicker

JRicker New Member

State:
    Tenessee
    Try taping a penny to the sting It is supose to work for bee stings dont see why it wouldnt work for scorps

7. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Hope she is ok Smokey. Creeps me out even thinking about the little buggers. I would go ahead and wizz on it, may be the only chance you will get to ever do that.....:wink:

8. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Hey Joe, can't go by the state directory anymore....that unit could of come from south of Texas if your area has transformed like here....Yo hablo Espanol? As far as that goes could be one of those Whatthehellamydoingstan units come home in a duffle.
    I do know that a scorpion wouldn't have a chance against my ol lady. I've seen her smack a pecker nat while it was still on the dog.......he was ready to live outside after that.

On a more professional note, all the advice says to keep Benadryl, 50mg, on hand for all kinds of stings. It evidently can buy you some minutes if ya have to run for the hospital. I keep some in the first aid kit.

Hope she doesn't blame you.......I been married so long, it's my fault we ain't got our "stimulus" check yet.....

9. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    How true LMAO!!! I would do it to laugh about it later Joe, tell her the Dr. said to do it LOL!!!

10. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thankx to all our brothers and sisters for your help.She is doing fine.the pain is just about gone,and it didnt swell up.

Cheryl: Thankx for the website it really help me get a grip on the situation.

John: I mentioned moving back to "frostbite falls" and she said the scorpions wernt that bad,when she thinkx about it.

Boomer: Thankx for your input. That really made her feel better.

JR. have you ever tried to catch a woman that has been bit by a scorpion?

Spoonfish:She told me if I was to do that I would be carying a bag around to whizz.
    Really folks its times like this that make happy that I have all of the resorses in the BOC to fall back on.thankx again.
    smokey

11. JRicker

JRicker New Member

State:
    Tenessee
    Cant be any more difficult than how i had to catch women to get dates :wink:

12. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Joe the campgrounds up on the lake. Used to have hundred of them. And that was 30 years ago.
    And a buddy of mine has a cabin within 1/4 mile of the campground and boat ramp. And he has killed a few there. His wife hated them. So they moved to Reelfoot. And now the little cabin is looking for someone else to own it and the little buggers.
    There and and looking for someone to sting.. Keep an eye out for them.
    pete

13. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i feel your pain i got stung once in oklahoma and it felt like someone put a hotshot on my leg

14. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    This reminds me of the time my wife was bit by a squirrel.....ya'll will get a kick out of this one.

When I am at work and I get a call that starts, "You need to come home we have a problem" well I know it is a bad day.

I got that call and asked my wife what was wrong.....she said, "A Squirrel bit me", now I know better than to go into, "how the %*#& did a squirrel bite you", so I asked, "Honey are you all right?" She said, "I was trying to save his life and the ungrateful little %*#& bit me on the finger!" The cats had him down and my wife, got him away from the cats and put him in the palm of her hand. I had to try real hard not to bust out laughing on the phone, from past experience, I knew the concequences on this action. So I said Sugar, is it bad, she said no.

Then she said, "I called the vet." I said why did you do that, you should have called the doctor. She said, "Yeah and I am &%#* off at that SOB!" Now I am sitting there on the phone by this time I have tears rolling down my cheeks. She said the vet told her, "I really cant help you, unless you hurt that little squirrel that bit your finger, you need to call your Doctor!" After that statement I was in the dog house for 2 weeks........every time I see a squirrel, I ask my wife, you want to pick that one up and see if he bites.......

15. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    "I've seen her smack a pecker nat ", now that will sure have you whizzing in a bag right there, watch out for those nats, make sure you shoo them off before she sees them!!!!!:wink::smile2:

16. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    back when i was even more stupidest than i is now...

me an some local roughians aged 8-12 were killing everything that moved with assorted bb-and pellet rifles in the closest back lot of woods we could find. about 6 of us in all i think. we all spent about 15 pellets trying to kill this dang squirrel that just wouldnt die. (poor marksmanship). finally we had him pretty much deceased. one of the boys put him into an old paper sack from our future venture at the gas station (totally different act of piracy). well it looked like the little tree rat was starting to come to so me (i was biggest-oldest) convinced "archie" (youngest and smallest non relative) to reach in the bag and pull him out for inspection. "archie" was a known prankster. so when he started shouting "he bit me! he bit me! he is biting my hand! AAAHHH!" i said "bull s@$$". "archie" pulled his hand out of the bag and sure enough there was a squirrell hanging on for dear life to the web of "archie's" hand in between his thumb and pointer finger. blood runneth over pretty well that day. well, we didnt quite know what to do, so my brother "andrew" tackled "archie" and pinned him down. i pulled out my pocket knife and tried to pry the lil suckers jaw loose. "archie" cried so much i thought he would dehydrate. but, eventually we got them seperated. i held the squirrel up by the tail and asked "archie" if he wanted his trophy. no dice. he threw his bb gun on the ground and ran for home like a scalded dawg.

yes sqwull's is deadly...

17. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Will tell my wife about that one, so she dont feel so bad......lol, did ya'll call the vet, the vet might have been able to save that one?

That goes to prove there is such a thing as temporary insanity. Like the time my brother-law-shot the copper head.................killed it dead he did. Only problem was he used a 12 gauge, in the middle of the river and killed it in the bottom of his boat. He had an minnow buck the old type that are metal and had some gold fish in it, and he didnt look he just pulled it up of the side unfortunately a copper head was laying on top of it. A 12' john aint big enough for a grown man and a copperhead........To this day I have no clue why he decided he needed to carry a shotgun fishing........

By the way none of my wife's family have been intutionalized.....yet....

18. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Went squirrel hunting once with my friend. He shot a squirrel in the head with a .22 rife. We admired his marksmanship for a few minutes, put the squirrel in the back of his hunting coat, and continued hunting. About 15 minutes later that coat started jumping around like crazy. Seems as though he had only grazed the skull and knocked the little bugger out. He shucked outta that coat about as fast as a guy could possibly chuck a coat, and put all 16 bullets from his .22 through the coat. Missed the squirrel. It got out and ran off while he was reloading. Why didn't I shoot the little varmit...I was too busy rolling on the ground laughing.

I also managed to find a scorpion once. Yep, it feels like fire. Hopped around a little, took the lords name in vain, and did other stupid stuff. Time was the only thing which helped. LOL

19. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

That's what I've been doin' while reading this thread. :smile2:

I AM glad to hear that Debi is okay though Joe! :big_smile:

20. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I 'bout fell of my chair when I read that:smile2::smile2::smile2:
    That's one thing I like about this forum... there's humor thats right up my alley on just about every thread I read!!!!
    I gotta donate alot more... hahahahaha!