Wierdest thing caught in a minnow trap...

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by photocat, Jan 3, 2006.

1. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    I pulled up my minnow trap that i have had baited for a while and been pulling everynight emptying it of fish to go back in my tank and last night i found something in it that i didn't think i'd ever find in it... esp not in this cold a water... it was a dragonfly nymph... BIG huge guy too... just sitting in the corner actually inside it....

What strange things have you guys found in your minnow traps when you've pulled them????

2. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    a snake! and im terrified of them! he was dead though, must have drowned. he ate all my chubs too.

3. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    ive gotten a snake in my minnnow trap before and he was still alive i ended up letting him go. wasnt any reason to kill him he was just after the gills and minnows i dont understand people that think the only good snake is a dead snake. :mad:

4. webster_catman

webster_catman New Member

State:
    webster
    ive caught quite a few water snakes but unfurtanitly tey all died before i could get them out

5. Ravensmavsfan

Ravensmavsfan New Member

State:
    Cincinnati,OH
    I've gotten snakes too, and i've also had small crawdads and fiddler catfish.

6. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Dink, buddy I hate snakes too & I used to manage to get a few of them every year in the trap. Man I hat snakes! :eek:

7. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i hate to say it but the tiniest garter snake will turn me into a squeeling little 5 year old if im near it! i have hours of horror storys about wading creeks and stumbling across snakes! out in huber theres a creek thats right behind a bank on old troy and chambersburg. back before they tore out the wooded area that deep hole there used to look like one of those pits they have in texas where they round up the rattlesnakes! it was unbeleivable! i honestly think someone was catching snakes and putting them there, no way that many should be there naturally! would have hated to be the crew that cleared that area! :eek:

8. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    hmmmm, would a piece of snake work for bait????

9. the_nis

the_nis Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    I've had a snake invade my minnow trap a couple of times before. The snakes were dead by the time I found them. Although, they were fat in the middle so I know they were chowin' down on my bait!

10. Jamey

Jamey New Member

State:
    Pegram, Tennessee
    When I was about 13, I caught a decent sized bass on a 14" watersnake. Don't know how well a dead one would work, but the musk those things secrete really stinks! :sick-big:

11. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i used to visit family for weeks at a time in west virginia when i was a kid ,a neighbor of my uncles killed a timber rattler one day and threw it in the creek. my cousin pulled it out cause it was still movin. we kept smashing it with rocks until it busted open and lo and behold it was full of babys. we collected them in a can and rode our bikes down to the new river and used them for bait. we tore the catfish up on them. channels and bullheads the whole time we were there. they work, or at least the babys do. havent tried them since. i'd rather have my appendix taken out with a gravy ladel than touch a snake now!

12. Guthooked

Guthooked New Member

State:
    Ga
    Lesser siren salamander.

13. Marshallmth

Marshallmth New Member

State:
    Dayton Ohio Area
    I caught a baby raccoon. I dont know how it opened the lid but it did, and then must of gotten frantic by beeing in the water, and drowned.

14. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If we've left the trap locked in the shed @ our cabin we catch mice. They go in like a minnow, but also just like a minnow cant get out.

15. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Bryan, I swear youll do anything to catch bait!! :eek:
    What did you bait the trap with while it was dry docked, Cheese?
    Thats a funny story though!
    All we ever got were the usual stuff although I did get Big rck bass once that was so big across, I dont know how he got himself in there, he mustof seen the crayfish and managed to squeeze himself in and take the chance, Of course I wasnt catfishing then or else I d of used him for bait.

Salmonid

16. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    I used to put a trap in a stream that ran through a golf course. There were tons of minnies a chubs in there too! But I'd routinely get golf balls in my minnow trap :). The most i ever had at once was 4. i don't really know how they got in there because they were to large to go through the holes.

17. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    The wierdest thing I ever caught were 3 snakes, all dead.

18. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have seen some unreal looking creatures in our traps over the years. Last year I caught something that looked like a minature blue crab, it was tiny, less than 1 inch big, had some sort of shell on its back, it wasnt a snell, I dont know what it was. I bet a bioligost would have a field day in our creek.

19. jerellman

jerellman New Member

State:
    CA
    the craziest thing i have ever caught in my trap was a baby turtle.

20. hawkman

hawkman Member

State:
    Hiawatha,Ks
    crawfish,bullheads,tadpoles