wierd things

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by topfuelkc, Jul 20, 2008.

1. topfuelkc

topfuelkc New Member

State:
    missouri
    we were on the meramec river today and we seenthese wierd things they almost look like clear ballons or big clear eggs hanging from all these small trees right on the water they were all over the place we pulled one off they were kind of hard but just really strange looking. Does anyone know what these might be?:confused2:

2. huntsfromtree

huntsfromtree New Member

State:
    KC Northland

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds very interesting, thanks for sharing.

Huntsfromtree, thanks for doing the research and finding this useful info

4. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I think what you were seeing is what we call bag worms.......they are bad on fruit trees

5. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    No, I am quite familiar with bagworms. Completely different. I saw what he was talking about, all over the limbs that were recently underwater in the flood. These were more like the texture of frog eggs. They were about the size of a baseball-softball, barely attached to a limb. They hung down from their own weight, several inches, making them appear tear dropped in shape. Mostly round, dark brown, gelatinous with spots all over them.

6. topfuelkc

topfuelkc New Member

State:
    missouri
    Yes thats what they looked like they were kind of hard. when i first saw them I thought they were bag worm nest that were full of water. these were actually hanging from the limbs and some had limbs going or growing right thru them. I wrote the missouri conservation to ask them what they thought they were. Just really strange looking.

7. topfuelkc

topfuelkc New Member

State:
    missouri
    tHANKS FOR THE LINK but i don't think thats what these are. it's possible that these may be some kind of these things. Not sure. They did look as if an alien could come out of one. Something from a Steven King Movie.

8. topfuelkc

topfuelkc New Member

State:
    missouri
    Hi well I got a reply back from Jennifer Guyott a fisheries biologist with MDC. and you are correct these are Bryozoans an aquatic organism rather
    than something associated with land. Wow these things are a living thing I guess. Great info you passed on. I learned something new. i hope everyone else did too.

9. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Nifty!!! I always wondered what that stuff was.
    Thought it was some kind of fungi.

I am one thing smarter today!:smile2:

10. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
  11. ozzyso44

ozzyso44 New Member

State:
    Smithville, Missouri
    I always liked pushing them around the lake. Pretty cool. Thanks for making me smarter.

12. huntoften

huntoften New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Yes...bryozoans they are. Truman is covered up with them now that the water has dropped. At my gradparents dock on LOZ, you can see them hanging off of the brush piles underwater...very cool.

Cubedweller...the ones that are toxic are not the ones we're seeing after the floods have dropped. The toxic ones are the weird fish looking things.

13. Dredge

Dredge Member

State:
    Arnold,Missouri
    Thanks for the info.I see them alot this year,too.