Wierd things in your casting net

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by roofermike, Sep 17, 2005.

1. roofermike

roofermike New Member

State:
    Jefferson City, Missouri
    I was just wondering what kinda of things that you all have caught in your casting net. Last night I was throwing mine and caught an 18" gar and a nice 10" crappie all in the same throw.

2. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Paddle fish, sturgeon, gar, 6 pound blue cat. white bass out of the missouri river. Lots of baby channel cats. The list is endless for me.

3. s_self88

s_self88 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    I've caught a lot of white bass, crappie, some carp, some buffalo, and even a walleye.

4. Kittyhunter

Kittyhunter New Member

State:
    Princeton, NC
    A buffalo with a cast net, now that's a heck of a net!!! LOL!

5. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Well I target 20+ pound asian carp for bait with my cast net. :)

6. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I caught a 3-4 lb carp last night in mine but didn't have the guts to put him on....Would a size 8 Gama circle even be large enough?

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I have caught a small bream in my castnet.

8. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Caught a 1# flathead and TONS of crappie, couple nice bass, but the wierdest thing I ever caught was a bicycle while I was throwing off the docks at Smithville. Dunno if some kid got tired of it or what, but it came out of the water without tearing up my net. Put it on it's kickstand beside the boat ramp in case anyone was looking for it....

9. LilRyjoe04

LilRyjoe04 New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    A bicycle? Now that's crazy. I bet you were wondering what was in that thing pulling it up :confused: Atleast you left it for the kid that lost it. Good job man. ;) I'm jealous now, the only things I've caught are shad blue gills and the occasional bass. Congrats!! :)

10. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I have got a bicycle , a motor lift for an outboard, snakes(throwing at night), carp gar... you name it I have caught it. I have been though lots of nets. ;)

11. omots2

omots2 New Member

State:
    abrerdeen md
    besides the regular fish the bad thing for me was a very large snapping turtle i would to say how hevy he was but he still has the net I could not pull him up when he started to bite through the net i left him have it .Went back later to retrieve my net.Had to large holes in it and no turtle thank goodness.

12. fourteenfootcat

fourteenfootcat New Member

State:
    Big Spirit Lake, Iowa
    ....girlie woman friend in my castnet. I forgot she was swimming off of my dock and bingo, we've got a new type of bait. She was cool with it. Not mad at all. She knows my memory fails me sometimes.

Now, back to fish: bream, bluegills, carp, sheephead, smallmouth buffalo, largemouth bass, suckers, smelt, grass carp, asian carp, goldfish, and ...finally, a dogfish, a creature that SHOULD NOT have been introduced into my fishing hole. Arggggggggggggg.... I gave the fish to the DNR and now regret it. They threw it back into the lake. I hope a huge muskie nabs that baby. :cursing:

Ending on a good note: Sometimes catching your girlfriend in your castnet at 10:00 at night has its rewards. :glare:

James

13. eggman

eggman New Member

State:
    Jefferson City, Missouri
    Personally I don't throw a cast net but my ol buddy Dodgeman does and at Catstock II he gave it a toss and we pulled up a 10 lb channel cat...( talk about cuttin out the middle man..lol) I think it might of been the biggest cat taken during the gathering.

egg

14. Mathersm

Mathersm New Member

State:
    Darbydale, Ohio
    I have caught many a small bass in my cast net and some nice sized rock bass in my local creek. I'm not that great at throwing it yet as i just bought my first one this year. Any tips on a way to throw it would be great.

15. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
  16. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    I caught one of those little razor scooters in my cast net just this summer off of one of our local docks. I have also caught rocks sticks as for fish, I've caught everything from an inch long cat to a 8 lb carp and just about everything in between.

17. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    A couple of weeks ago me and fellow member suddawg were fishing at our local honey hole, were not catching much bait, so he says lets try the other side of the river so I go over there and after about 5-6 throws with nothing, he says lets leave, and I say one more cast and when I throw, I ended up in the drink floundering around like a cat in water. I get out and realized that my perscription glasses are not on my head any more, after 20-30 minutes of obsceneties, my mother got a tool retrieval magnet connected onto a 10 foot section of PVC pipe, and tried that for a while to no avail. So I decided to try to catch them with my net 5-6 casts later nothing, again I decide ONE more time.... So I throw where they should not be, and I start dragging my net back in and am not really paying attention and suddawg starts babling like the idiot that he sometimes is, I look and my glasses are barely hanging by the ear piece. Moral of the story, do not throw cast net while wearing expensive prescription glasses, and if you don't call your wife and tell her!

TA2D

18. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Hey man, that had to be one of the funniest things I've ever seen. So, what lesson have we learned TA2D?

While fishing with your best friend, don't ever listen to his ideas, because you'll probably end up in the river, while he's nice and dry. Still can't believe you caught your glasses in the net.

Suds

19. keithcatfish

keithcatfish New Member

State:
    Maryville, TN
    If it swims, I have caught it, but my favorite was a 5 pound smallmouth.

20. rodpod

rodpod New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    I have a similar story as far as casting out my personal items. But this has happened to me on 2 seperate occasions. I have a kershaw spring loaded pocket knife and i clip it onto my jean pocket. Its pretty a expensive knife.The first time i realized I lost my knife, I proceeded to keep casting the net (in the dark) and jagal shined the light over at the net to see if i got more bait. The knife was stuck in the net by the clip and i guess i never even noticed it. The other time was pretty much the same scenario except when i realized it was gone i got that gut feeling and then checked the net. And yeah, it was clipped on the net and theres no telling how many times i tossed the thing out in the river. I always make sure that my 300 dollar nextel company phone and knife are in my tackle box. Also if you have a hooded sweatshirt make sure you dont have anything in the front pocket because all that twisting and throwing is going to fall on the ground.