Wide Row Gardening

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by Boomer, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I read an interesting book on Wide Row Gardening, does anyone do this? The concept is that your rows are 2 times as wide as your arm lenght. It makes sense to me, since a regular row is about as wide as your arm lenght, the plus side is that you can grow 1/3 more veggies in this area than you can 2 regular rows. I can see the advantages to it also. Like less soaker hose, easier to till, ect.

2. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    Boomer I made a post on this thread before the crash and it was lost.
    I do use wide row gardening for some things. It works very well and
    the plants shade the ground cutting down on weeds and it takes a lot
    less space. You do not want to make your rows so wide that you can't
    reach the middle from either side. I have planted 6 rows 6" a part for
    field peas. Turnips and all your greens do well in wide rows. Peas can
    get so thick you need a stool to set and pick in one spot and then when
    you can't reach anymore move your stool up a little.

3. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have always used the old standard rows our parents and grandparents used, but the book I read, made since to me, you use more area of the garden, less paths between rows, and looks to me like it would be easier to maintain. Especially when it comes to watering, less soaker hose, and mulching would be easier. Plus you can get more veggies in that area, so if you are short on garden space, that would help (I am not) but some people dont have the room for a large garden.

4. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Seems like a good idea to me, like planting carrots and some row crops in at least 6-8 in wide rows. I read an article once about planting in containers and the guy would plant several things in the container, like roots, and veggies that weren't roots, and that ripened at different times so he had about 4 crops in one container.

5. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I have started planting bush beans in a sort of wide row sense. I plant them in a zig-zag fashion which makes the row about 8 to 10 inches wide. This allows for twice the beans to be planted in one row an is still narrow enough to straddle between my legs as I pick the beans. Well, as you can see, I'm not the one who usually does the picking.

[​IMG]

Attached Files: