Wide gap hooks

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by countrycat15, Apr 3, 2006.

1. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    hay guys,i was wondering if if any of yall have hade any luck using wide gap hooks for flathead catfish?and are they good for using with live bait

2. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Im not completely sure if there is a specific one you are talking about, whether you are talking about kahle hooks, or just any hook with a wider gap than normal, or what. For just hooks with a wider gap (octopus hooks) I have had amazing luck with them. Kahles I have heard good things about, and Dale Finnley (Dafin) uses nothing but kahles. Anything else I dont know what to tell you, bud.

:0a26:

3. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Wide gap compared to what? Not being a smart A, just curious. I'd like ta hear some opinion about the angle of the point on straights or j's and circles.

4. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I use 2/0 to 5/0 Kahles all the time with live bluegills and redbreast sunfish with excellent results. I just leave the rods i the holders and the flatheads hook themselves almost evey time.

5. BigBlues

BigBlues New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Most of the hooks I use for live and cut bait have wide gaps, that way there is plenty of room for big baits.

6. astutzman

astutzman New Member

State:
    Collinsville, IL
    Do you leave the reel in free spool/turn anti reverse off when you're using these hooks? I've heard that you have to let the rod load up when the cat runs with your bait, but I'm afraid if he takes off too fast he'll end up three hundreds yards away towing my rod a hundred yards behind him.

7. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I like the Eagle Claw wide bend hooks (not the kahle ones, but the "042" hooks)

I lot of guys use the kahles though, and the wide gap circle hooks too. I think hooking rates go up when you're using wide gap hooks when you're using bluegills and the like for bait.

Shawn