Wichita City lakes

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by kspor, Feb 4, 2006.

1. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Anyone fish any of the local lakes here in Wichita. I have had some luck, no trophies, but lots of good eaters. I fish the west side mainly, but have caught some on the east side. Just wondering if I am the only one who utilizes our local ponds.

2. Midwest Drifter

Midwest Drifter New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I haven't fished any of them. But I'v heard that the Kdot lakes up by 96 & I35 arn't to bad. Fished out at afton some but don't like paying the fee.

3. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I used to fish it too, that is untill I found that it was the most polluted lake in Kansas according to the EPA. It is better now, but the fee still keeps me away. Had some great trips out there tho. Dip or dough baits works best in the ponds around Wichita. Kdot ponds are good, but often overgrown and have lots of poisen Ivy. They are working on clearing brush and things should be much better this spring.

4. Midwest Drifter

State:
    Kansas
    There is a pond just east of Broadway on 55th street so. that gets alot of pressure. Havent heard anything about these lakes except for like crappy & ba&&.

5. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    They stock the heck out of the city park lakes. I believe you are referring to Watson Park. I have seen some 3-5 lb channels regularly from that pond and they guy I worked with had some pics of some 15+ pound channels. I even saw a 50+lb flat taken from it. South lakes off of 55th and Meridian are good too. They stock all lakes about every 2 weeks in the summer. Check the KDWP website for stocking times and species.

6. Midwest Drifter

State:
    Kansas
    ops I ment west of Broadway. There are so many sand pits and parks I can't keep them straight. One of them is where that channel or flat tried to swallow that ball. Remember the news? I can't remember what lake. A buddy that works for the turnpike just informed me thursday that the turnpike had a lake down by 63 st. just for turnpike employees & family & freinds. And my brother in law says he pays a leese on some lake in town.

7. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I have heard that several lakes are for lease. There is one pit just off of Broadway that is leased. I have heard its is phenominal. I just cant get over the paying for fishing thing.

8. rflyguy2131

rflyguy2131 Guest

First post here.

I'm new to Wichita. And, looking for good spots close by. But, I have not been out except one occasion since moving here. I do have access to the Boeing private lake. Me and my daughter spent an afternoon out there in the fall and did pretty good. They've got aluminum boats with elec. trolling motor for rent, approx. $15 for an afternoon. It's a pretty enjoyable venture from the boat.

9. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Guys...things sure have changed since 1958 when I left there and we moved to Arkansas. There was a sand pit just across the Johnny Mack bridge that we used to slip into and fish. Was great fishing back then. Have heard that that area was made into a park. Me and a buddy used to fish there quite often. We both lived on Exchange Street about a block off Greenway Blvd so it wasn't that far to go. Fished a lot there at the river too. Used to fish up at the dam there by Municipal Pool (as it was called back then) too. Was lots of channels there. Was a lake just before you got to Afton that had some big blues in it too. Never caught any but saw a few. Miss that part of the country. Good luck fishing.