Wichita Bait Opprotunity?

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by Storm27m, May 5, 2008.

1. Storm27m

Storm27m New Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    I read this off the kansasangler.com angler fishing reports and figured it might be worthwhile to check it out. I'll see if I can't get out there with my cast net in the next few days and see what happens. Maybe someone else can beat me to it? Post is in regards to Watson Park.

Never heard of inland shad chasing lures, but they still sound like bait-size fish whatever they are.

2. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Years ago, I caught a 10" shad on a crankbait. He was foul hooked. I think he was mating, not feeding.

3. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    now that would of been a funny sight, yer crankbait gettin violated by a big shad :smile2:

4. rwg

rwg New Member

State:
    WICHITA, KANSAS
    YES WATSON PARK HAS SOME BIG SHAD, I THINK THEY ARE GIZZARD SHAD.
    I WOULD CHECK AT THE PARK OFFICE B-4 USING A CAST NET TO CATCH THEM, I'M NOT SURWE THE WILLLET U CATCH BAIT THERE, THE SHAD ARE MATTING AND WILL CHASE ANYTHING WITH A SPINNER RG:big_smile:

5. millertimemarine

millertimemarine Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    Name:
    Wyatt
    haha, reminds me of catching menhaden on rod and reel for bait in florida.

Attached Files:

6. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    If it were not for them shad, there wouldn't be any bass chasing that lure either.

7. Storm27m

Storm27m New Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    I netted nothing today, but I wasn't there at what I would consider prime time either. I went on my lunch hour, plus the weather was a little wacky today. I'll have to try again another day. The park is completely fenced in and doesn't open until 8am. I was hoping for an open park that had 24hr access.

8. seaark ryan

seaark ryan New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thats an ugly fish!

9. Carp Killer

Carp Killer New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Looks like a mini big head carp!!

10. smhmc6

smhmc6 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Did anyone have a problem with you throwing your net around?

11. Storm27m

Storm27m New Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    No one said anything. There were a few park workers around, but I think they were mostly maintenance people. I didn't see any special regulations on the parks info site on the KDWP page and no signs prohibiting it, so I'm assuming it's statewide regs. I did have one guy offer to buy some off me if I caught any. I told him I'd give them to him for free, but never netted anything.