Wich reel

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Cuda, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Cuda

Cuda Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mike
    Wich reel do the guys that use 80# to 100# test line? And what rod is it on and what is it rated for? Abus or penns or deep sea reels would you put that heavy of line on? And how many yards of line can you get on the reel?

2. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I use Shimano Tekota 600's. I also have one abu 7000. I like the Shimano's a lot better then the abu's. The price difference is not much.

3. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I use A-G 6600 and A-G 7000 reels, all spooled with 80# Power Pro braid. The 6600s will hold 150 yards or so and they are on Tiger M/H rods rated for (I think) 40# line. The 7000s are on Surge Trophy rods rated for 50# line.

For me the main benefits of braid are the amount of high-test line I can pack on a reel compared to mono, lack of stretch and memory, and the longevity of the line.

4. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    If your looking for a reel with alot pulling power look at Fin-Nor reels. I got one last year for big flatheads. No complaints. Those reels are made to last. It would smoke most of the other reels out there. It not a real gaint reel. About the size of a 7000 Abu. It cast well too.

5. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    for heavy line i like using the 7000 ABU

6. Cuda

Cuda Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mike
    The guys that say they use 80# to 100# test line what reel and rod setup are they using? Are they 4500 zebco 33s or what. I want to know how overloaded they have them. And do they just lock the drags tight as they can get them or how are they set? I have big reels but only use 50# line on them as that is what the rods are rated for. How overloaded can you go before a failure?

7. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    we use ambassaduer 6000 and up ,and I have a penn 320 gti ,we use powerpro 50, 80,100.# test at a smaller monofiliment dia. we run them up to within 1/8 of the top of the spool. and we use surge, rods 7 -6 or so