Why's My Boat Hard To Steer?

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by H2O Mellon, Sep 18, 2007.

1. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I just stepped up from a '00 14 foot Tracker Deep V (Super Guide) to a 17 foot Tracker Deep V (Targa). The steering on the Targa is real rough. You've really got to use your muscles to turn it. Am I just not used to this bigger more heavy motor, or is there a problem? What's the fix if there is a problem.

2. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    ck your manual mellon,there is a adjustment for the tension on the steering,it shouldnt steer hard at all

3. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    H2O, does it steer hard in one direction and not the other? If so, you might adjust your trim tab. Also, check the steering arm near the motor where it slides back and forth through the tube on the mounting bracket. There should be grease zerks to lubricate it there as well as zerks on down lower on the motor housing to lubricate the pivot points. You can also check the back of the steering wheel where the steering cable runs around the wheel for lubrication and check to see of the cable is somehow not run through there right. Also, check your steering cable to make sure there are no sharp kinks in it between the console and the motor. You've probably already checked that stuff, but it's all I can think of. Good Luck!

Branden

4. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    There might also not be zerks on the back also....this was the case with mine. I needed to pull the cable out of the tube, clean it all up, grease and put back in. Also steering cables do wear out and need to be replaced from time to time. Mine was 12 years old and no amount of cleaning or greasing fixed it. New steering cable was about 150.00 and my arms thanked me for it.

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Grease the center shaft on the motor itself and then take the sterring tube out or as far as you can. Most boats you have to remove the motor to get the tube all the way out. Take you a 12 ga bore brush and clean the tube out and then reinsert and grease it real well.
    Sometime you can take a small propane torch and heat the tube and turn the motor side to side and clean the pertuding part of the sterring cable and then regreas it and that helps loosen things up.

6. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    all tips given great. my old starcraft i used in ocean. boat mechanic had me go one step farther and saved me the cost of new cable. had me go out and by some LPS #1 spray lubricate. it's greaseless, and doesn't collect dirt. i pulled cable out and sprayed in casing from steering end of cable. felt like a new cable.
    gary

7. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Update:
    Well ended up ahving to replace the cables, but the boat is great now. Luckily I got the cables at a discount. :big_smile:

8. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Hydraulic steering helms. The only way to go.