Why?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Boomer, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Sometimes you really never know what another person is thinking, or the trouble or misery he or she is going through. They can be cheerful, and outgoing but inside they are tore up.

I have lost 2 friends this year to suicide. One was a JAG (Lawyer) Lt. Colonel, who would talk to a fence post if it didnt blow over. He was always cheerful, even to the day he left the FOB to go home. I met with him that morning at his "Garden" which wasnt much, and he said something that will always stick with me, now that I think about it, I think he was asking in his way for help, he said, "Gary it has been nice knowing you". That day I had to leave to go to do some work, and a week later, when I got back, I saw a sign up on the chow hall door, stating that there would be a memorial service for the Colonel. I asked the Chaplins assistant, what had happened to him, and she told me he had committed suicide at the airport?

One of my close friends on Sep 5th, 2009, committed suicide. He had 2 girls and a boy? I grew up with him, later in life our paths did not cross very often, it makes me wish it had, maybe I would have known the trouble he was having and maybe helped.

I guess you never know.........

2. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    A not very close friend of mine, a cop, killed himself last fall. Good job, nice house, beautiful wife, and two great kids.

He wasn't one of those a-hole cops with a cocky attitude either. Easy going, laid back type of dude. If you had to make a list of 100 people who you thought would kill themselves, he wouldn't even be on the list.

He didn't complain much, he just did what needed to be done. In retrospect he bore the weight of the world on his shoulders.

I still miss him.

3. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Unusual profession and rank for suicide in the Army.

Cases we were involved in dealing with Officers who committed suicide, they unluckily got trapped into some drama which would severely impact their career and family life.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  4. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    That is sad to hear Boomer, I am very sorry for the loss of your friends. Unfortunetly only "Hind Site" is 20/20. Sometimes the cry for help can be too faint to hear.:sad2:

5. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    aweful loss Boomer, so sorry to hear of your buddies. prayers for the families. i am sorry to say that the suicide rate is widespread through out the armed forces. my mother works at moncrief Army hospital at Fort Jackson. we had a conversation recently about the dozens of soldiers that killed themselves this past year from that base. I have seen the issue addressed briefly in the news, however i believe it needsmore coverage. this is truly a tradgic trend that has no end in sight. if i remember correctly the same thing happened during Nam.

6. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i'm sorry to hear that your friends made those decisions. suicide is a selfish act, because it does leave everyone wondering what really happened. i had a close friend of mine kill herself a few years ago. the tole that it puts the family and friends through is hard to explain. it leaves everyone wondering if there was something they could have done to stop it. i miss my friend everyday, i just remind myself that it was a choice she made, not one she asked for advice about. i wish she had asked me, but she didn't. thats how i deal with it, and to be really open with you all that is why even in my times of deep depression, i would never commit suicide. because of my family and friends, and what it would put them through. all of which i have witnessed first hand through my friend.

7. Brandon829

Brandon829 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I feel your pain. 2 years ago, my best friend commited suicide. I hate him for it. I'll always love him as a brother, but the pain that he caused all of us will never go away. He left a beautiful daughter behind. Suicide is a selfish act. You only hurt others by it. Not a day goes by that I don't think about him. After seeing what he did to us, I will never even consider suicide. It's cheap easy way out. To all those who ever consider it, Man up and handle your business! Just my 2 pennies

8. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Sorry to hear the bad news, suicide is something that happens to people, and if someone knows the signs can possibly persuade them not to do it. Problem is hindsight is 20/20 and its only apparent after its too late. Its sad when they are successful, and even when they are not, as they usually injure themselves bad enough to be unable to do it again, and have to live with that burden too. Sometimes the decision is temporary and hard to live with, but they get through it, sometimes not. Some folks got problems and things they just can't seem to deal with.

9. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    That for sure sucks , my brother killed himself a few years back , what was crazy is I just talked to him that day and he said he would call me the next day about him moving back to Illinois . He was in Ludowici, GA . I had to have him transported back up here . Unreal sometimes to think about it all .

10. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Sorry for the bad news.
    Back several years ago a work friend told me about the time he was talking to his son on the phone. His son was telling him he was going to kill myself and my friend was trying his best to calm him down. His son said good bye, laid the phone down but didn't hang up, then pulled the trigger on the pistol. My friend heard the gun fire, sped across town to the son's home but it was too late.

11. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Only delt with that once in my life,A distant friend fell in love with a woman,then later found out she was married still. He felt so bad over sleeping with another mans wife he took the only way out he felt possible,That said I feel people that commit suicide are trying to hurt those that have hurt them in their only way they can.

12. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I agree , but it only turns out hurting their kids and family . My brothers reason was over a woman breaking his heart that he thought was the greatest , but it did not hurt her just the family . I think people who do it are stupid and its taking the easy way out . I dont see no reason I would kill my self .

13. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    I have to say most of all of you have no idea about people killing them self's!!!!!!Some said there coward's or selfishness ...BS regardless what YOU think ......there has to be some DEEP propblem's going on in there heart and mind!!!!!! And for those of you small thinker's who SAID i hate them for that or they are cowards' or selishness ...You need to look deep into your heart and wonder why you could not see the pain they where in ?

14. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    had the same thing happen to my family a few years ago my cousin took her life she had it all going for her great husband nice kids never got into any trouble as alot of kids do today not a sign that she was upset about a thing ,why anyone would take their own life is beyond me ,has to be a reason that no one will ever understand, they way i figure there is always an answer to a problem .some may disagree but i think we all need to turn to God for answers

15. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I think I have a little clue , since my brother killed him self and left a note that said (sorry macy) that is the name of a girl he knew 3 months that broke his heart . He was married 15 years to a woman and lived with other women whom he was in love with once . Where was his sorry note to his 4 kids , his mother , sister , or brother . Since we lived many miles apart but did talk on the phone on a regular basis , he always acted like everything was fine . Like I stated in the other post I just talked to him and he seemed fine was talking about moving back to Illinois and me and him start racing again . So where was the sorries to his family ? He took the time to thank some gold digger who received a package in the mail 4 days later with 12,000 dollars in it . He could take the time to do all that to her but not his 4 kids . There is nothing so bad that you have to kill your self , for sure not over a younger woman you know 3 months . I dont mean to offend you or anyone else , so let me reword it . I think my brother was a chicken livered motherfricking coward

16. medic

medic New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I'm a retired Paramedic of 24 yrs and seen my share of suicides. And many times after running those calls I would lay in bed and wonder why they did it. Bud I would have to move on because if I would let it get to me. I wouldn't have lasted as long as I did in the profession. I don't know you but I can tell that your a caring person and would do anything to your power to help a friend that you knew was in need of a friend. And would be proud to have a Bud like yourself. My prayers go out to you and the family . You ever need to talk give me a shout..
    Medic

17. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Sorry for everyone's losses. I too have had to deal with my losses, and at one time in my life I didn't wanna live either. It happens, and all to often.

Its a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

18. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    When a person gets down they sometimes feel it would be best for all concerned if they were not around unfortunatly not everyone looks at the pain it would cause the ones they leave behind or that tommorrow will bring change and maybe good fortune all I will say is everyone gets down not all can see the light at the end of the tunnel

19. Brandon829

Brandon829 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Still cowards though. You either deal with your problems or take an easy way out. People who commit suicide take the easy way out. They are and always will be sefish coward dead people. Sorry but it's the truth. I guess you wouldn't understand this since you've got the big brain and I'm the small thinker. Ask the kids they leave behind, ask the wifes and familys. Ask them if they think they are cowards. Even if you can't deal with the problems yourself, there is always professional help. No shame in that. We move past what we thought of them, just like I have, but you or nobody else can convince me otherwise. I love my brother, but I'll always be mad at him. I'll be mad because of what he left behind. His friends and family have to help raise his daughter because he took the easy way out. You tell me if this is right?

20. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I have battled depression on and off for years and in my earlier days.....Well I now take meds and they aren't for everybody but I finally realized I needed help and no longer care about the stigma some might have . I will pray for all of those touched by this thread right now......sent.