Why would You Buy???

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by HOPPY4, Jul 28, 2009.

1. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    This is being brought from another forum, but I think it is a way to get a Good Discussion going. The question was brought forward as a S & G type of question. It is a Valid Question to us as we spend quite alot of money on our gear. Now they have brought this particular reel out and I am wondering who are the purchasers? My vote went to Van Staal as they were to me a fine piece of equipment that I could not see the use versus the exspendeture equation being equal. Opinions are requested!!!

The ZEEBAAS ZX-S is the New face and it has a US Pricetage of $1,200.00 to $1,500.00 depending on the vendor.

HOPPY4

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2009
  2. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    All I can think of is market this to the people that have to have the most expensive of everything.

3. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    Well to answer the question "who is buying these reels", they are quite popular amount the striper fishermen who frequent Montauk.

These fishermen scale rocky cliffs down to crashing waves, brave rip tides armpit deep and often get stranded on outcrops while trying to get the best position for the striper of a lifetime. These are people who spend thousands of dollars on a once a year trip (much like people who pay for custom guided trophy hunts), and want to have the very best equipment possible for their trip.

The ZeeBass offers some unique advantages, such as having one reel that you can change the spool SIZE on to accommodate different situations from flinging metals at schoolies, and puppy drum, to having enough line to let moby dick make a few good runs with. Think of it as buying one Abu, that you could fit a 4500 size spool on, 5500 size spool on, a 6500 size spool on, or 7000 size spool depending on your needs. Now offer this in a hand built and individually inspected machined pice that has the tolerances of a well built racing engine and you have a Zeebass.
    Let's not forget you can do the service 100% your self, and it was engineered to be friendly to the end user when it comes to service time. There is no cheap plastic parts, or stamped tin from taiwan, and you can have one built to your custom desires.

ZeeBas aren't for everyone, and surely NOT for the weekend angler... however they are a magnificent piece of engineering and true TANK of a reel... They are the 'custom rifle' of the fishing world. Any of us who are quite happy with our off the shelf Rugers, Remingtons and Winchesters would not be too quick to pick up a Holland & Holland, but it's nice to know the option is there should we desire one or happen to be able to afford one.

My self, I'd love to have one, but would not, COULD NOT afford it.

4. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Talk about costing an arm and a leg jeez..No thank you..I don't need a second mortgage on my house for a fishing reel..

5. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I think you get what you pay for!! a great quality rod or reel just cant be beet. I am one that thinks a person should get the best their wallet can afford. I only have one rod and reel I gave a leg and half my arm for when I was able once and now looking back I wished I would have bought another the same day.( in a different Wt) mine was a fly rod and I gave 500.oo for a 4wt temple fork fly rod and a 4wt redinton fly reel. growing up self teaching with books and videos and casting a pice of yarn in the back yard for the longest time and fishing with a 20 dollar shakesber fly combo ( rod, reel, line, tippet, and a few flies) and over the years picking up 40 or 50 dollar rods hear and there then my good one . after the first cast all my other rods are/were like junk in comparason. night and day I tell ya!!!
    when it comes to any equipment I firmly belive in getting what you pay for!!!

6. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    I am not knocking those that want these reels, but some things are far and above what I would call Price Worthy! Good Luck to those that are the Tackle Tarts of our age, but my Tartiness has not Grown to this point and probably never will! JMHO!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOPPY4

7. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    $1550 for a reel...talk about stroking your ego. Them Montauk point boys can have them reels...they aint for me.

But, you know there are always people that have so much money that they gotta spend it somewhere so why not on reels.

8. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I could not justify spending that much for a reel to use fishing for blues from the bank of the Mississippi. If I was to make a move, it would probably be buying a couple CT model Abu's. For now my Pro Rockets are fine.

9. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    When I was an apprentice mechanic a hundred years ago, we worked on all manner of high end cars. Rolls Royce, Bentley, Bristol, Daimler, Mercedes Benz, Lamborghini, Ferrari, Porsche, you name it.

All of those cars did exactly the same thing as the Volkswagen Beetle I drove to work; they got you from A to B.
    It's not what they do but how they do it and there is a difference. Quality does have a feel you can feel.
    The questions are do you want that difference, do you care about that difference. Can you afford the difference and if you can, are you prepared to pay for it.

Those cars don't make you a better driver, a Holland & Holland or a Purdy won't make you a better shot and those reels won't make you a better angler but if having those things is important to you then everyone has a right to spend their money how they want to.
    Such possesions do carry more than a high financial price though, they carry the burden of ridicule and resentment.
    Nothing invites ridicule more than someone with a $40,000 shotgun who couldn't hit a cows arse with a shovel... believe me, I have seen it first hand and by far the most common body repair we did on those ultra high-end cars was not crash damage, it was vandalism (keying) done by those who probably didn't have a pot to piss in and resented the success of others.

I would love to drive my Bentley to the local airport and fly myself down to the Amazon in my Lear and catfish from my custom built cat boat with out of this world gear and sleep aboard my 65 foot yatch that my man had taken down ahead of time but it ain't gonna happen and I don't care!!

Good luck to those that can, I hope it makes them as happy as my stuff makes me...W

Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  10. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Wow what a price to pay just can't imagine spending that amount unless I had hit the lottery lol...

11. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    I still remember when I first came to this board and touted my love for Avet reels. I was touted as a bit of a tart, taunted for owning such an "expensive" pice that would do no more than an abu or penn... now look at how many have bought an Avet, or high end Daiwa surf reel. It's not fair, nor is it accurate to automatically deem one who buys the best they can afford as a tackle tart. We all want the best we can have for our given situation, and income level. And while it's true that more expensive gear doesn't make us better sportsmen, there are times when better made gear can make the difference from a disappointing trip to a trip of a life time.

I read a wonderful article not too long ago about "tackle tarts" and while I don't thing I can post the link here (another forum/web site) I can provide the article for your viewing pleasure. It's a wonderful read, and I encourage everyone to take the time to consider it.