Why wont they come in?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by onlyone, Apr 20, 2006.

1. onlyone

onlyone New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    I took a guy out yesterday evening to get a turkey. We'd been calling slowly for about 2 hrs and they would gobble occasionally about 300 yards east of us. SO we decided to go after them. There were four jakes that came in silently about 100 yds out but never gobbled. We sat down and started calling back in the hedgerow but they all just stood there. I didnt see any hens with them but they turned and left. We followed them staying within 100 yds at all times and we called. They'd strut but none would come in. ANy idea why?

2. brian sax

brian sax New Member

State:
    shawnee kansas
    Are you sure there wasnt a land feature blocking them to cause them to hang up? A lot of times people dont think about that kind of stuff but it does kind of turn a gobbler away (sometimes). Did you do some soft calling or were you calling aggressivly? (Sometimes) i have heard of turkeys hanging up when they hear an aggressive call and will gobble and wait for the hen to come to them. Did you have a decoy out? From my experience toms wont leave for a single hen sitting around a ways away, but they will strut and try to get her to come to them. Those jakes didnt gobble becuase they are the subdominant turkeys and the older toms like to keep them in check by not letting them breed or gobble. So a lot of the times they will kinda branch off the flock and go investigate a lone hen calling. Remember that, if your working a bird there is probebly a sneaker out there that will be coming in silently.

3. hunterman1971

hunterman1971 New Member

State:
    Ky
    DECOYS...if you don't have some get some..i had birds do that jakes/toms the birds you were calling to me sounds like they were call shy a decoy may of helped ..a trick i've done if you have toms with hens is to bust them up it works they will try to get back together just call soft and watch out have fun with it :)

4. onlyone

onlyone New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    No we didnt have decoys out at the time. And come to think of it, they were on the other side of a creek, but it was dry. I would have expected them to just walk across it. I went and put them to roost tonight and they're about 200-250 yards east of my blind. SHould I go to the blind in the morning and wait, or set up with decoys about 75-100 yards from them.:confused:

5. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Maybe you should practice your calling!J/K:)

6. onlyone

onlyone New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    Ya that would probably help.:) We ended up getting one the next morning. It was a single tom that came in quietly and fed with the deer on my bait corn (ya its legal here). 10 inch beard and it was his first turkey so he was pretty excited and so was i