Why won't they bite???

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by MattyGfishing, Sep 14, 2009.

1. MattyGfishing

MattyGfishing New Member

State:
    Hawaii
    I've used night crawlers, shrimp (big and small), chicken liver and cut shiner, on a 1/0 circle hook. NOT A BITE. I can't figure out why.

2. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    you sead on a 1/0 hook, what are you fishing for?from the bait you sead you have try ed ,im thinking channel cat.and if so try blue gills,chubs, the gills you can cut the heads off and then the tail ,then you got 2 baits ,the head and mid part ,toss the tail. then of course you always got HOT DOGS,raw chicken breast,ham,i have even got a 4 lbs chan on a piece of raw cauliflower:confused2: no lie. you can get them on just about anything, you just need to be at the right place at the right time, don't give up you'll get them,good luck buddy, i use 6/0 for chan

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009

3. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Get some good dip bait like Secret 7 or Sonny's. This may do the trick. hope this helps:wink:

4. JoeDaCatKing

JoeDaCatKing New Member

State:
    PA
    gotta keep the line tight if it isnt your probably missing bites. put like 4 giant splitshot about 7 inches from the hook so you can keep it tight. If you cant catch a cattie on worms then something else could be wrong. You gotta give more information than that too. I would suggest you step it up to 3/0 circle octopus hooks too... ask the bait shop guy near you if you cant find them if you can give more info I bet you can get better help

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Think location and food chain. Increase your hook size and make sure the point of your hook is well exposed through the bait. If using shrimp, I would suggest you soak it in garlic for one day, then use.

6. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "...Why won't they bite???..."

They are not feeding, or they are not where you are fishing. Change locations, or come back at a different time.

7. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    CHUM!! throw a bucket of grain soured or not out there and give it a little while and tear em up..youll get carp anyways :smile2:

8. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    They are always NOT where I'm fishing :confused2: :roll_eyes:

9. KAW RIVER KILLER

KAW RIVER KILLER New Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    If you are not experienced with circle hooks, I would suggest going to khales. The eagle claw 4/0 is an inexpensive, versitile size for channels. Don't be afraid to try a bobber, especially if you fish during the day. You don't have to be on bottom to catch channels. I'm getting them right now in about 15' of water with my bait 3'-6' deep. Down here in Kansas, they have been smashing bluegill and shad heads lately, the midsection is working too but make sure is has guts in it or it is a waste of space.

10. 7mmmag1

7mmmag1 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    If its in the middle of the day and the boat traffic or wind is keeping the fish from biting or keeping me from feeling the bites, I like to find the narrowest creek thats less than 10 feet deep that likes to wind and I can go back there in my shallow boat and always catch at least a few

dont be scared of water less than 5 feet deep, the fish aint scared, just tilt up the motor and use the trolling motor, if it gets really shallow I lift up the trolling motor while its spinning and back out thataways

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  11. Matt77

Matt77 New Member

State:
    from Us NY live in Cnt FL
    I agree with the other guys make sure your tight lining and use a slip rig with what ever hook you use. try a 4/0 circle hook with with a blue gill head. Hook it either through the nostrils or up from bottom jaw through top jaw or through the eye balls depending on how thick the head is.

12. bsites9

bsites9 New Member

State:
    Va
    I think you're having the same trouble as me...fishing where there are no fish. I've tried 2 different lakes, on 3 occassions lately, and havn't caught the first the cat. Been using worms, livers, and cut bluegill. i'm getting frustrated myself.

13. tcba1987

tcba1987 New Member

State:
    Dennison, Ohio
    Sometimes they bite and sometimes they dont, thats why they call it fishing and not CATCHING ! lol But seriously id try some fresh cut bluegill and shad if you can get some. Usually if all else fails for me chicken liver is a bait that always seems to get bites. Try different locations and water depths too until you find a few fish, it could be as simple as that maybe you are fishing in areas that just arent holding any catfish. I look for bait fish alot of time in the water, if i dont see any bait fish in the area USUALLY there wont be many catfish around !!!