Why were there never any Wels cats stocked into US waters?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Tulcat, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

While something like that would be a big taboo today, in earlier days it was not uncommon for immigrants to bring several of their favorite fish over while immigrating. A good example would be the Brown Trout, introduced into the US in 1883.

Why did no one ever bring over enough Wels to get a self-sustaining population somewhere?

2. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    I don't know but if it wouldn't of messed up our fisheries it would be nice knowing there was 200#+ Wels cat swimming in our river systems waiting to be caught, wouldn't it?

3. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

It would sure be the heck out the genius idea of introducing the carp, which was billed with great fanfare as "the world's finest fish" in 1877.

Just think how common the carp is now...Heck we could have Wels in almost every river or lake, just like the carp.

4. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    That would be nice, but I'm like you I wonder why it never happened.

5. jerrydean

jerrydean New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Because the commercial fisherman lobbied against it because the Wels cat would tear up too many of their nets.

6. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

That might be correct for one point in time...but historically speaking I don't think that most people/companies bringing over non-native fish were asking for anyone's opinion.

7. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Traditionally the species that were brought over were listed as sportfish (yes, even the mighty carp) and species like trout at the time in Europe were deemed as a rich mans sportfish which is how they came over was due to private funding as rich folks wanted those species brought over when they came to make the fishing here as it was back home. This is why species like the wels were never brought, not to mention the size and effort needed to get a whole lot of them together in one spot at one time.
    Its interesting but if there were 200 lb catfish around in most waters, Im sure by now, there would only be a small population of them in a few watersheds that couldnt regularly get pounded through the early "lets eat anything we catch" times of the first 70% of the last century.

It would be cool though, thats for sure....

Salmonid

8. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    im not sure why besides of the obvisous reasons of size and catching enough of them to bring them over.

im surprised no one has done it in a private lake

i dont not agree on it would be cool for them in puplic waters though. i mean yes it would be awesome to have the chance of catching a cat like that but look at the damage that flatthead do to a system and compare it to a fish thats 4 times as big. just my opinion but if i lost my channel cats, smallmouth, shad, walleye and others due to a non-native fish i would hate it.

9. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    I would be afraid they would eat everything in sight..?.. I am not sure there main sorce of intake but, I am sure a lot of baitfish would perish. Sounds like an expirement waiting to happen., but when ?

10. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    CARP, in europe they catch and release. be nice to find a fish that ate carp exclusively. bring that here and after it ate all the carp, maybe it would just die out

11. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    You'd be suprised how many carp are eaten by flatheads and sometimes blues.

The thing about this wels cat is that it is rumored to exceeed 300 lb...and 10' in length. The record being a Romanian 8' fish that weighed 226 lb.

And in the link supplied below...it says that the Wels is good to eat when under 33 lb...but over that...the meat is extremely fatty...and not fit for consumption.

The eggs of the wels themselves are poisonous.

Perhaps this is one of the biggest reasons that the Wels was not introduced as a food fish back in the day...it just ain't that good to eat??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wels_catfish

12. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    no kidding carps great bait i get excited when i hook a buffalo:wink: and to get a net full of 12'' carp before hitting the river would be a dream come true.

13. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I think that fisheries biology has come a long way since the 1800s. In most places it is illegal to introduce non-native species, and for good reason...it can, and probably would have disasterous side effects. I would love to catch a wels cat, but I don't think it would be cool at all to introduce them here in America. Flatheads are causing enough problems outside their natural range. Many areas are suffering from the asian, and silver carp that accidentally made it into the river systems. I like our big 3 catfish. If I want to catch a wels, I'll have to save my pennies, and head over seas.

14. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Fellas, I got a plan! Now I'm not a real smart guy, but this has GOT to be a winner!

We introduce Wels cats to eat the Asian/silver carp.

When the Wels gets to be a problem, we take some of the fresh water sharks they have in Lake Nicaraugua (and maybe some bull sharks, I think those are the ones they fine up the MS river every so often) and introduce them to eat the Wels Cats.

Most of us are already using saltwater gear for big blues and flats, so we're alreay rigged up for some medium sized sharks.

As a bonus, it'll cut down drastically on pleasure boat and jet-ski traffic on our big lakes, making it easier and safer to fish on 'em (well from a traffic standpoint, still don't want to fall in).

What'd'ya think? Personally, I'm getting off of here and writing a letter to my local DOC and congress people/senators. Man, it is GREAT to be as smart as me!!!!:eek:oooh:

15. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I dunno why I swallowed that fly, lol.

16. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I'd sure be up for catching a few Wels...but I'd bet the ba$$ guys would be hollering bloody murder!! (After the carp are gone...guess whats next...lol)

17. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Branden... You better go work on the boat some.. You've been in the house with the kids way to long... hehehe

18. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P

Sounds good to me, Branden!

19. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I've got a video of a guy catching a wells about 10' long. Looks awesome. I like the idea of them eating the asian carp. And then the Bass too. Then we would have the lake all to ourselves!

20. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Now guys, don't be eggin Brandon on.. geeze he's got a big enough head now without you guys telling him you like his ideas.. Brandon, go work on your boat... hehehe