Why we hunt

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by catfishingRon, Sep 24, 2006.

1. catfishingRon

catfishingRon New Member

State:
    Earlville, IL
    I was just sitting here thinking to myself why it is I LOVE to hunt.:roll_eyes: I guess I love the hunt itsself. Getting out there and trying to outsmart the deer. Getting close to nature and away from the house for awhile. The peace and quit, except when the squirrel show up. I love to scout for trails and hope to get pics of deer I see. Usually when I see some deer my camera lets me know I have a dead battery. I have only shot 1 deer in the past 3 yrs and still get all worked up for this time of year. I owuld have to say that my favoritte part of the hunt is the great naps I get. I sleep like a baby when Im hunting. I quess that would explain the 1 deer in 3 yrs.:embarassed:

2. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    Great post! I would like to add that without all these awesome deer hunters there would be more fatalities on the highways with deer running out in front of cars. I know it sounds completely off the wall, but I live in Nebraska, and my kids live in Iowa. Every trip to and from to get my kids, I lose count of the dead dear and the mangled carnage of cars, trucks, suv's and semis that have tried to avoid a deer, only to cause a head on collision, and sometimes a fatality.

Last Thanksgiving, a supervisor at where I work lost her daughter when they were traveling home and swerved to avoid a deer, only to roll their suv and killing her 14 year old daughter. It was totally trajic. I was a paul berrer in the funeral, cause I didnt know what else to do for her.

I completely understand the hunt, after been hunting myself. Scouting, spotting, drawing on game is an adrenaline rush I cant even begin to describe. Following a blood trail until you find your prize and begin feild dressing it is also a feeling that only true hunters know, and others may never get to experience. Thanks for letting me ramble on.

Kenny

3. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    lol by all means RAMBLE! every deer hunter here knows what you mean brother!

4. STC T&F

STC T&F New Member

State:
    Union, MO
    Totally agree, I am grateful I really love it for my (and your) reasons, if I didn't I would hate it. I have been getting really worked up over the last year and considered quitting all to geather. I am tired of those you try to talk to about hunting and all they want to talk about is killing!!! The trophy hunting ego is killing what I love about our sport. This may sound corny but I love the spiritual side of the hunt. Sitting in a tree watching the sun come up, squirrels, rabbits, turkey, & deer. To me seeing the wild is what makes evey hunt I go on a success.

MJO

5. BIGCATMIKE

BIGCATMIKE New Member

State:
    illinois
    i like the naps also

6. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    Thanks guys, I didnt want to be a "thread killer". I just think that locally, they should open up deer season earlier, or open it up so that we could take more than two deer. I love to deer hunt, I cant begin to explain it to anyone. Its like riding a harley, "If I have to explain it, you probably wont understand it". I am so relieved that others have replied to this thread. I thought I had "killed this thread" with NO DISRESPECT TO RON, aka CatfishingRon. This is an awesome thread he has started, and I give nothing but totaly respect to him. I think the deer population has literally exploded to a point that makes it not impossible to hunt, but for some fact or reason, impossible to be safe on the local highways. I love to hunt deer, and I love the hunt. I love the outcome, win or lose. More often here than not, its easy to get your tags filled on opening day. Thanks again for letting me ramble.

Kenny

7. eggman

eggman New Member

State:
    Jefferson City, Missouri

.....then killing them

lol, sorry couldn't resist

egg

8. jtr4324

jtr4324 New Member

State:
    virginia
    Amen brother, thats what I'm talking about

9. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    You guy's have said it all Myself Ive only killed 3 deer and over 15 years of hunting and 2 of them where does didn't find one of the does till it was to late to put in the freezer.ST one was a 10 point buck and a it was 15 yeas ago. so if anyone wants to help me kill another buck am h ere :big_smile: Even though I've only killed 3 i still enjoy getting out and am praying that i can get my girls into hunting also.Just think there alot people who have hunted there whole live and still never get to kill one.It's a great thing to sit in the would and look at all of God's country.And just have a talk with Jesus.

10. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    The only hunting that i do is for kitties and other fish and i really love that. Im not opposed to hunting ive just never really go into it and i am not that good of a shot with a gun. I love to eat deer and all kinds of other wild game. Im just glad many people in my family hunt a variety of animals because i sure do love to eat.

Wheelmobile07

11. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Great naps? I'm sorry but if I got a chance to hunt in Ill., a nap would be the last thing on my mind. I'm a meat hunter but would love to get a chance at some of those monster bucks you have up there. And Kenny, you are right. In this one county alone there were 143 REPORTED wrecks involving deer just last November, including 3 deaths. A few years ago our local TV reporter was killed when he left work and hit one on a motorcycle. I agree about making the season longer. I follow the records on deer and hunting in this state and things are really strange. Since I moved here in 1979 there has been a record harvest EVERY YEAR but there are still more deer in the herd every year. The number of hunters has dropped by 25% in the last 15 years, I think in part because there is only a two week gun season (west of the Blue Ridge) and no Sunday hunting. Most working people don't want to spend the money on a license just to hunt two Saturdays. You can participate in any other sport on Sunday execpt hunting! Now they changed the laws the last few years so we can take two deer a day and an unlimited number per year. (The basic license allows you three Bucks and three Does, then, for another $12.50 you can get bonus tags that allow you two more Does, and you can buy all the bonus tags you want.) Still, 10% of the hunters kill 90% of the deer.
    Anyway, to me it's a religious thing. I love getting out in the mountains and seeing the seasons change, watching all the critters, and matching wits with the deer. It lets me see that God is all around me and helps me to find my place in the universe. I love my bow hunting because it's the hardest thing I've ever tried to do. Any deer with a bow is a trophy to be proud of. I still hunt with my recurve bow because I love the challenge of it, the thrill of a successfull hunt, and the primitive aspect. I concentrate more on the hunting part rather then the shooting because the big challenge for me is getting as close to a deer as I can. The two I've taken this year were at 15 yards from the ground and 8 yards from a tree. I don't get much satisfaction from killing a deer that is more then 100 yards away. That's not hunting....that's just shooting. I do a lot more scouting then hunting because it gives me an excuse to be out there, to play the game, and so that when I'm sitting there 30 feet up a tree or on the cold ground an hour before the sun comes up, I'm not hoping a deer will come by....I'll pretty much know what time he'll come by.