Why WD-40 ???

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Salty1, Nov 11, 2007.

1. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    Why is that some catfishermen insist on using WD-40 ??? I just cannot stand the thought of polluting my fishing holes. Is it the petroleum the cats are attracted to or could you use olive oil or some other enviromentally friendly oil to carry the scent of your bait through the water ??? I have seen that some of my brothers and sisters have said they use this stuff [WD-40], I just wish they would stop polluting our water ways.:angry: There has got to be a alternative to this practice. Any answers would be greatly appreciated.:big_smile:

2. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    I think it has shark oil in it,but I may be wrong. I agree there is NO reason why anyone should use that stuff in our waters. If you see anyone using it while fishing just call DNR and report them "get their tag & boat numbers. I bet they will never use it again after DNR get done with them.LOL

Many times the scum bags that use it will cover the can in duct tape or something else to hide the lable. By doing this DNR knows that they knew they were not suppose to use it and that in it's self will be enough to make a case in court that they can't get out of.

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
  4. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    it is rumered to be a fish based oil which is probally what makes attrative to fish. im not shure of whats in this stuff but the fish and game here aproves the use of it as an attractant, i would assume they wouldnt let you put this stuff in the water if it was that bad. does that mean its a good idea to use probally not do i use it, no. is their a better oil yea freah cut bait will release the fishs oil and other juice.

5. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I understand the ill feelings about the WD-40 thing but is it really illegal to have it in your boat??????? Plus, is it even technically illegal to use it?

Where's Marty?

6. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    the first and only time i had my licens checked this year he looked through my stuff i had out and seen a can of wd and asked if i was using it on my bait. i told him it was to spry on my levelwind if i got some gunk in their. i asked about spraying it on the bait sence he brought it up. he said shure it was ok to use and he new a few guys himself that use it and that it worked. so at least here its leagle.

7. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.

Dude I wouldn't be so sure about that. Sounds like he may have been trying to get you to trip yourself up and tell him you were using it on your bait. You can never be sure until you get it in writing,because the DNR officers will try to trick you into telling them you are doing something your not suppose to be doing. They have heard it all when it comes to way your using this or that and if it takes some tricks to get you to fess up they will use them.

8. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.

I don't know about other places but in Fl. you can have it in your boat or tackle box for using on reels or whatever. But it is illegal to use on a lure or bait. Any time I'm not sure I will "e-mail" DNR and ask them so I get a reply in writing,don't ever call and ask because you will not have a record of what they told you if you ever need it.

9. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    I have never used it, mostly because I believe that if I can find active fish, I can catch them with most any good bait, shad, perch, etc. I just wonder if fish oil, olive oil, whatever oil is any better for the water, just because it is natual. Anybody know?:confused2:

10. fshnutz

fshnutz New Member

State:
    Sacramento California
    There are so many legal fish attractants, I just don't see why you would use something as controversail as WD-40? Besides, I don't think it works THAT good. If you are in the right spot and your using the right bait, you'll catch the fish. I think most people that are using this stuff will find that if you are catching fish using it.....you will catch just as many without it. I will admit that I tried it once when I was 13 years old. I was spraying it on my piece of sardine and I was catching the heck out of little bullhead cats. I thought I had really found the secret ingredient. Then I ran out and just had the sardines. I caught just as many fish without the stuff. My advice.....learn more about the fish and put in some time....you'll get em'. Just my 2 cents.
    Linz:wink:

11. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Don't look out the back of your boat cause I bet the pollutants that outboard is kickin out is much more than a spot of WD 40. Anyone ever used feral cats for bait?

12. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    feral cats as in a wild household cat ?????:crazy:

13. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I had no idea people used WD-40 for an attractant. I guess that is how oblivious I am to other practices. I don't use any kind of attractant other than the bait I use so I guess I am safe.

14. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Never seen a wild housecat, but I am talking about wild cats from an urban environment. It's a long story but I will re write it if any are interested. You see I have this Mobile Home park where irresponsible tenants think it funny to release unwanted kittens that grow into feral cats.....

15. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    For what it's worth, although lots of sources say that WD-40 contains fish oil, the company says that it does not. So, I guess it boils down to whether or not you believe the WD-40 company.

16. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Have used them as target practice and as fertilizer.:wink:

17. skigill

skigill New Member

State:
    WV
    I read it is fish oil based.

18. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    First off Shawn there is nothing in the rule book banning feral cats as bait as long as you don't use a cast net to catch them. For the WD-40 question I'll tell you all now, if you could use it and catch 40, 50 ,60+ pound catfish every time out, someone would have made a post to that effect by now. Or the WD-40 company would be taking out ads in all the fishing & hunting Mags, or they might be a BOC sponsor so that we all knew it was the best bait ever LOL. Now you can catch small cats on anything from ivory soap to pantyhose sprayed with WD- 40. But they are stupid when they are small lol. If any of you out there can catch 40+ pound fish consistantly with WD-40 would you please post it on here so we can all know fer sure.

19. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Paul, you can find lots of places where it says that WD-40 contains fish oil, but I'll bet that none of them are official WD-40 sites. I sure haven't been able to find any.

Actually, s_man, I did find an official WD-40 uk site that said that WD-40 is an excellent fish attractor. You can also find official sites that recomment spraying on hooks and other metal fishing gear to prevent rust, on plastic lures to keep them from sticking together, and so on.

20. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD New Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    I dont use it and dont plan on it but..If everyone of us on here sprayed a can of it in the tennessee river where I fish it wouldnt equal a drop in the hat compared to what those barges put in the water..and we still have plenty of big cats..in a small farm pond you might could see the effect but I doubt it..I once ran my tractor off in the pond..(no kiddin) the motor was almost submerged, it stayed in there all night until I could get a dozer to pull it out..(my pond has a small spring that feeds it and is about a half to 3/4 acres in size)..and there was a pretty good oil slick from diesel, hydraulic and motor oil on my pond..I never saw as much as a dead minnow..