Why use a leader while catfishing?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by TxRiverman, May 8, 2006.

1. TxRiverman

TxRiverman New Member

State:
    Lockhart Tx
    Since Im new to the sport of catfishing,Ive got a ton of questions. And one of them is ,Why the use of a leader?

2. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    A leader will keep the bait away from your weight and is normaly heaver line than the main and that will help to keep the fishies teeth from fraying the main line and also helps you to keep from getting cut off so much.

3. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    Good answer i need to start using leaders .

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I found out earlier on the board, that if your using a surf rod to chunk lead weights, you should use a shock leader. This leader should be the length of your pole plus two or three turns on the reel once in a casting position. And, I believe it was supposed to be 10 times the weight of the lead your casting...a 5 oz sinker should have a 50# shock leader. I can see where this is needed as I have personally put some lead into a near earth orbit. lol

5. TxRiverman

TxRiverman New Member

State:
    Lockhart Tx
    I thought that was the reason. But I always thought the more connections you have on your main line the weaker it got,because of the knots. So what ive been doing to get a little space between my bait and my weight,is to use put a bead between my weight and hook. Then i use a rubber weight stop like the bass fishermen use and peg the bead where ever i want it. Now the weight cant slide past where the bead is pegged. It seems to work pretty good for me,but Im not fishing a big river like most of yall. By the way im using 3oz. no-roll sinkers with 65lb braid

6. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    It keeps the bait away from the weight and it helps get rid of line twist.

7. trfoster

trfoster New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Like already posted,Its mainly to keep cats or any other type fish with teeth from bitting or fraying the line,its swiveled at both ends to help keep line from twisting up,cats go into a roll while being reeled in,like a alligators death roll.I DONT FISH FOR CATS WITHOUT THEM!If dont have em I will make my own out of swilvels and wire cloths hangers,have used drinking straws also.put straw on line 1st,then hook,and place big split shot at top of hook just above were its tied,this will keep straw from sliding down swivel and hook neck.keeps cats from fraying into line.:big_smile:

8. reel pleasure

reel pleasure New Member

State:
    New jersey
    Less resisitanc ein yer line with a leader,try using flourocarbon fer a leader.Seems to bge werkin fewr me.
    Any line that is lo vis or disappearing would werk.
    Been useing em for leaders and i have been noticing a differewnce.Is all good

9. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    What everybody has said so far, pretty much covers it. Line abrasion from the fishes mouth or gill plates can lose you a fish. A heavier line/leader offsets this problem somewhat. You can also have several leaders pre-tied with different types/line weights and hooks. You can store them in zip-lock bags or one of the worm(plastic) bags on the market. Saves time when on the water and the fish are turned on. Remember the Boy Scout motto," Be Prepaired."

There are a lot of knots that will give you 80% line strength. The secret here is to properly set your drag. Too tight and you risk a line/knot failure. Too loose and you'll never land that fish. Besides, it's a whole lot more fun to wear out a fish if he pulls line off your reel a little bit.

10. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Another reason is bait presentation If you have a 12 to 15 inch leader you will know exactly how close your livebait is to the big gnarly snag you just casted too when you pull the bait back to the sinker. This keeps him from entering and getting you all hung up. I don't fish without leaders just tie good knots and you wont have any major problems. Palomar works great for leaders, Another kind of shock absorber instead of plastic beads,I use small sections of air-line tubing from the aquarium section. Buy a couple feet then cut it into pieces around 1/3 of an inch to a half they work great and are cheap to make.

11. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Tx -
    Your rig sound just fine to me. Since you are using the heavy braid, then having a heavier line near the fish is not really an issue. If you wanted to have mono line next to the fish, then you could still go to a leader set up.

It's true that more connections mean more chance for a problem, but what it really comes down to is that your whole series from reel to the fish is only as strong as the weakest link. I fish 15 pound mono on my reels and use 50 pound test leaders. If we assume that all of my knots are 90% (actually the knot in the 15lb line is probably more and the knots in the 50 pound are almost certainly less) then the weakest link is that knot which will be about 13 pound test. Even if the knots in the leader are only 60%, then they are still at 30 pounds which is way higher than the main line.

SOmething to remember is that the higher strength your line, the lower percentage the knots are likely to be. It's just plain harder to get a really good strong knot in heavy line. Course, if the line is that heavy, then it's not as critical.

12. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Use a 8/0 circle hook, 18 inches of 50# mono and a barrel swivel. 8/0 hook is great for small or large cats, 50# mono cause the bigger fish have bigger teeth and a barrel swivel to prevent line twist cause cats will spin or tumble sometimes when hooked.

13. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    :lol: WELL ARARON I TOO LEARNED SOMETHINGS FROM THIS POST. AND ALSO IWANT TO WELCOME YOU TOO THE BOC BEST CATFISH CLUB AROUND. HOPE YOU ENJOY IT AS MUCH AS I DO. WELCOME WELCOME AND WELCOME

14. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Tx, I use a leader on my three way rigs, in order to brake off if I get hung. I dont use no leader on my egg sinker rigs, I just add weight and tie on a hook.

15. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    that sounds kind of strange to me. i throw 8 ounces allthe time with a short 20 pound leader. i use 40 pound main line and an 80 pound "shock leader " for the hook. i have slung a weight off from time to time but if i keep an eye on the leader to make sure it isnt frayed i have no problem. i use a 12 foot ugly stik and a penn 309.

16. confederate

confederate New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I use stainless leaders on alot of my limb lines because the Gar and the Turtles like to trash them when they get caught. Also before I started using circle hooks if a decent size cat swallowed the hook he would roll and roll till he cut the line, I don't like losing fish so leaders and circle hooks seem to have solved the problem but you never know what you gonna find when you pull up th line......

17. sgt_rob

sgt_rob Member

State:
    Bossier City, LA
    I guess I'm just bass ackwards. I learned about leaders during my trout fishing days in AR. If you weren't running a 32" 2# leader, you weren't catching fish because them boogers were smart. I spooled up with 4# on an ultralight reel.

When it came time to make up a cat rig, I used the same principle. I spooled up with 50# braided Power Pro and used a 20# mono leader about 24" long. When I get hung up I lose leader and hook; that's all (unless the sinker gets hung). The path of least resistance is the leader in my set-up. As long as my leader is weaker than the main line, I'm good. I could spool with 100# Power Pro and use a 50# mono leader and still get the same effect but I think that would be over-kill.

18. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    I have caught fish with and without leaders. I use them for one simple reason. If I get hung up I lose 2 ft of line and a hook instead of $5 worth of lead.

19. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Well, I was taught to use one to make the hook less noticeable, but I have to admit that using 100# test white nylon for my juglines and trotline droppers doesn't seem to have any bad effect on catching catfish. So, I guess the main reason I use a leader is to protect my expensive braided superline. It's always the last few feet of my line that gets worn so fast, so using a cheaper replaceable line (leader), keeps my from having to continually cut a couple of feet off my braided line. Also, since I use a leader that's a little bit lighter test than my braided line, when I get hung up and have to break off, the leader breaks, not my braided line.

20. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    I like using leaders to keep my main line from freying out and breaking. They work great on 3 way rigs.