Why use a color Fish Finder?

Discussion in 'Fish Finder Review and Study' started by baptistpreach, Mar 6, 2008.

1. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    I know that they look nicer, but what real advantage is there to using the color vs. the greyscale? I know it can't be readability at night, bc mine has a backlight that lets me see it fine regardless of what time it is. Thanks and have a great day!

2. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    It shows what is there a lot better and easier:smile2:

3. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I just bought a humminbird 767 gps system. it isn't colored, and i love it!..from everything I know it has more to do with the pixels, and watts that really matter. mine is 4000 watts peak to peak, it has alot of stuff that i don't even know about yet..lol... i just used it for three days on the james, and had no problems, and am glad i didn't spend more money on another one...rollo

4. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    in my opinion its easier to see an arch on the bottom that is a completely different color than the bottom, than it is to see an arch on the bottom that is just a little bit lighter or darker shade of grey. Also your suppose to be able to tell the difference between scaled fish and non scaled fish...And as far as the light goes at night, there is no comparison between the two, the colored screen is like having a tv or computer on, it shows up alot better at night time..I have had the greyscale and color..And I never met anyone that says, " i wish i would have bought a black and white fish finder instead of this colored unit".

5. healthydrink

healthydrink New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    I am no expert, but I do know on my Eagle 320c, (which is the most inexpensive color fish finder I could find). If you have it set right, you can tell a hard bottom thin black line and a soft muddy bottom thick yellow line.
    This also holds true on fish, a catfish or spoonbill will sow up as a black line on top and filled in with yellow as a body. A scaley fish like a sandbass or walleye will have a lot of red as a body filler. Also a very hard scaley fish like a Gar will show up only as a thin black arch with almost no body color.
    The colors also will show a difference in details when you go through a transition area like a rock bottom to a mud bottom, this gives you a great edge to follow if that is where fish are holding.

6. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    The grayscale finders have caught lots of fish no question about it or at least helped catch them.:big_smile:What is the difference between a B/W TV and a color one?The human eye reacts better to color and as pointed out allows us to "see"greater detail.B/W has only tonal differences in the gray to provide contrast while most color finders have multiple colors to enhance each image.The newer color finders have more power and more pixels generally which gives better definition.You must pay attention to the pixel count however.The 10.5 Lowrance finders have the same pixel count as the new 8.5s which means the 8.5s have more pixels on the smaller screens giving better defintion.Of course the 10.5s are easier to see to an old guy like me but I would buy a LCX 38 before the 10.5.Now when Lowrance upgrades the 10.5s to a higher pixel count then the advantage of the 8.5s goes away.If all you have and are used to is grayscale AND you know how to use it you are not at a disadvantage in my mind.But as Matt said I've never seen anyone go back from color.:big_smile: