Why trap coyotes?? What did they do??

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by Mike81, Nov 18, 2007.

1. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    This is an oldie, but a goodie... The reason we must control the population of these critters...:big_smile:

Attached Files:

2. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    LMAO, I thought for a minute somebody was actually mad about the killing of coyotes.:smile2:

However, that photo is a prime example of the balance of nature, and the neccessity of predators. Unchecked deer populations cause more damage than coyotes in most cases....I think.

3. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Yep, agreed...they are a part of the natural balance of things... but I still prefer to be the middle man and shoot them and the deer myself...:wink:

4. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I gotta admit I've been none to shoot a few 'yotes in my day as well. We have problems in our area with a very large population and they really hurt the bird populations.

5. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Another cool pic from a trail cam......

Attached Files:

6. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    That is an amazing picture. Is that in your neck of the woods?

7. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    That last pic has been around for sometime. If I recall, many times it has been gone over to see if it was doctored and each time they failed to find any flaws.

Bearing in mind that my recall has also been questioned a time or two.

8. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    No...just an old pic that's been around the email world for a while like Kutter said.... probably was taken out west I imagine...looks real to me....

9. stinkbaitman

stinkbaitman New Member

State:
    south dakota
    the deer probly didnt even know that the lion was there. but anyway coyotes got 3 of our calves this year.

10. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thats the main reason I trap coyotes here. If the state dont start doin something about the cats and Ravens we'll be sein much more depredation too.

11. Howie Ketchdem

Howie Ketchdem New Member

i say shoot hell out of em we hunt em at night with 17hmr and shot guns with ooo buck. but what pisses me off are these damn hawks and owls i seen a hawk take out a pheasant this year and a hawk take out a squirrel and i see so many damn hawks its not funny and old timer told me it got like that years ago with the hawks and the phesant pops suffered big time he said. till some people started putting coon traps on top of all the fence posts. he said it cleared out a few.

12. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    in the summer and spring i shoot every coyote i see. most of the ones i see are the young from the year before, i just take them out before they do much damage or learn anything. history has taught us that coyotes are very resourceful and can be a real pain in large numbers. i have spent more than a few mornings watching them catch mice during this deer season, they can be pretty entertaining to watch!

13. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    theres a pup in the woods i hunt that ive seen twice, hes smart already. First time he was to far away to shoot but i did some sqeaks with my mouth and he stopped and then came in a little way, but after he saw me raise my gun he was gone. then yesterday afternoon i saw him out of the same stand and i sqeaked again to see if hed come closer and he was down in the creek bed and gone in a second. theyr smart animals and theres to many of the in our deer woods so we shoot everyone we can.

14. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I worked swing shift in maintenance and was on call for 40 years.Drove back and forth to work at all hours.35 miles.Seen all kind of animals.Coyotes have done one good thing since coming to SE Georgia.Feral cats have just about disappeared.Our Deer tags have gone from two antlered only for years without Coyotes in Ga.to 2 antlered,1 any size & 1 4 point minimum 1 inch or longer tines with 10 antlerless deer allowed.This is with the coyotes in Ga.This means that our deer herd has gotten to dangerous proportions(highway fatalities) with Coyotes present.

I have seen Bobcat and Red fox pairs with fawns.Some good size.Bobcat and Red fox are now scarce.Possums and Armadillos don't seem as plentiful.Are the Coyotes eating them all when young?I have seen all but the Armadillos with folks puppies and Kittens in towns.I have seen a Coyote with a Burger King bag in his mouth at the Savannah/Garden City,Ga.,city limit line.That showed me they can and do live on garbage when available.I and the Coyote were stopped waiting on traffic.He like a ally bred traffic wise city dog.8 feet away and no sign of fear at 2:am.I ain't figured it all out.Have they helped,harmed or done some of both?

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

15. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Any one ever think how much effort goes into tryin to get one coyote to step on four square inches of ground [right where the pan of your trap is].
    That is all it takes to keep me at it ,knowing that you have outsmarted the supreme predator in its own element... nuff said??

16. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    You're right, Richard. Trapping coyotes is extremely difficult and challenging, but man is it fun!!! I wish I had a lot more land closer to the house to trap. With the price of fuel, I just can't afford to trap much anymore.