Why tie a Snell? Palomar Knot Fishing Secret

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Itch2Scratch, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    For those of you who like using the snell but find it frustrating to tie in a rocking boat and the wind, especially if you like using the snell for positioning of the hook..here is maybe a helpful hint. I like using it on my baitholder hooks but it drives crazy in the field to tie them. The alternative I use is for all my hooks with eye forward or back, simply run the line through the eye like you would with the snell but tie a polomar knot around the shank, wet the knot,tighten and trim.

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Sounds interesting Ken. I always spend some time each winter and snell up a ton of hooks that I know myself or whoever is on my boat is gonna use. I bag each snelled hook up in a real small zip bag and I'm ready to go. Take the snelled hook outa the bag and tie it on the barrel swivel with a cinch knot and I'm back in the water in no time.

3. misterwhiskers

misterwhiskers New Member

State:
    Trenton
    How hard is it to tie a snell?

I simply use a 2ft line,run it through the eye about 1 1/2 inches and wrap itaround the shaft 8 times,then run it back through the eye

Pull tight

I like George's idea of snellin a bunch!

But iffin your in a pinch hres simple way to tie a snell on or off the water!

4. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I tie some like that also. But I have no problem snelling a hook in the boat. But then agian I have most of my rigs made up in advance.
    Pete

5. Beastmaster

Beastmaster New Member

State:
    Chrisman Ill.
    I find that snelling circle hooks ups the hook up rate.

6. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

I started snelling last year, and haven't lost a hook yet. That doesn't mean that I haven't lost a rig due to a snag. I lose the whole leader not just the hook. No offense to Loop, but I re-tie all of his rigs with snells also.

Ray

7. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Same thing here.....except I started doing it 3 years ago. :) I always snell my hooks now. :)

8. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Zakk. What kind of snell do you use?

9. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    George, I dont know what it is really called. My dad taught it to me, I can try my best to explain how we do it though.....

Ok first I cut a piece of leader about 18-24 inches long depending on how much current we will be fishing. Then I run the end of the leader through the front side of the hook(the side with the point on it) then I go around the hook one time right under the little eye-let where you tie your line to. Then I run the end of the leader right under that first loop I just made from the first time I wraped the line around the hook. Then I pull tight, and wrap the leader around the hook about 6-7 more times....(or however times it takes to get to the center of the tootsie pop...LOL)......then I run the end of the leader threw the back side of the hook eye-let....which is the side that dosent have the hook point on it.....then I pull tight again....and tie on a swivel to the other end of the line.

I know that probaly seems like it dosent make any sense, kinda hard to explain.....but when I get a chance I'll ask my dad what the official name for it is.

Zakk :)

10. misterwhiskers

State:
    Trenton
    i don't think i ever seen that one before,almost like tying a knot in the snell.Just might give that a try.

11. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

I believe it's called "Dressing the knot". It's used to keep your knot from slipping out.

Ray

12. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I still didnt get to ask my dad....he's been working so much. I know he can tell me the name of it though. :)

13. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I thought by the title of the post, that you would tell me why you snell. It seems a bother to me. What does it do for you exactly? I don't use a snell, and I can't think of the last time I lost a hook to anything other than a snag. I think I use the improved trilene knot that my grandaddy taught me about 30 years ago. I have lost some when i shorcut it on my bait rods, but i don't mind missin a gill every once in a while... unless it's the only bite I get all day.

14. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Zakk. Why don't ya ask him at work? Ya are workin with him to pay for that cell phone aren't ya? LOL!

15. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Am I the only one that ties a loop at the end of my snells? Just push the loop through the swivel, then the hook through the loop and pull tight. No knots needed to attach the line to the swivel.

16. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Hey Brian. Did that a long time ago. I put more faith in the knot I use to tie the leader to the swivel than the knot used to make the loop ya are referring to. LOL

17. misterwhiskers

State:
    Trenton
    For me,by snelling my hooks i've noticed my bait does not spin as much as with other knots.It tends to stay straight when useing a snelled hook.

I was watching a fish program this morning and he was showing how to tie a snell on a leader,while its attached to a swivel!

He ran the tag end through the eye about 6 inches,made a loop at the bend of the hook,made his wraps and ran the tag end back through the 1st loop at the bend,then back through the eye and pulled tight.

Looks like theres a variety of way to tie a snell.Is that what you meant hy tying a loop Brian or are you referring to something else?Not familiar with what yer describin.

18. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Question, what not strength does a snell have? I have been told it is greater than a polomar and if so whay have a knot on the hook that is stronger than the not on the other end of the leader?

19. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    After reading this there is OBVIOUSLY more than one way to tie a snell..and just as obvious I must be doin one thats more difficult with the heavy mono leader I am using...guess its time to look to the world wide web for a different snell....again thanks for all the input!

20. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    I have found three different ways on the web to tie snells and then their is my way. I was just messing around trying to snell a hook, and just thought about what I was doing and had one snelled, similar two the others just a small difference in mine, so I will just use the way I figured out.