Why the need for elaborate baitwells??

Discussion in 'Livewell and Bait Tank Review' started by Flatspontoons, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Flatspontoons

Flatspontoons New Member

State:
    Texas
    Hi Fella's,

Pretty new here and have been checking-out all the various livewell / baitwell modifications by many of the members.....some very cool stuff, indeed!

However, let's say you are going on an overnight-trip for flatheads.....you catch your bait around 4:00pm or so (in my case, I funnel-trap about 30, 5"-7" bullheads in 45-60 minutes)......put them in a portable, 10-15 gallon aerated cooler for about 2-3 hours during travel to lake/river and while scouting for good locations in the boat.....arrive at fishing location just before dark and put out baits.....then transfer all bullheads into a floating mesh bag tied to the side of your boat and turn off aerator in cooler.....bullheads (or other baitfish) stay alive and healthy all night long in fresh river or lake water with no need for livewell / baitwell.....

This would seem much easier than the elaborate concoctions that many of the folks come up with.....:wink:

2. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    If all you are keeping are sunfish or bullheads for a few hours, you don't need anything too fancy. Trying to keep live shad gets a little more involved, and keeping sunfish or bullheads alive more than a few days is a lot easier when you employ some method of filtration. I've used a wire basket to keep sunfish many times, but I've also had a time or two when they died off because of the warm water / low oxygen content near the surface, and a simple 5 gallon bucket with a bubble aerator would have worked better on those days.

3. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    As stated, many people use many different types of baits. But also many people like to keep the bait for longer periods of time. I catch gills on Friday evening usually and want them to stay alive til the wee hours of Sunday morning. Tossing a few dozen gills in a portable aerated bait bucket or even an ice chese won't always do it in the heat. So some type of oxygen infusion or filtration is needed. It's good that you can catch bait so easily too. And I mean that in a good way. There are times here when you just can't find a bluegill or shad for anything. Different requirements for different people and locations. With this many members you will see many different ideas on doing things than you're used to. Great question though.

4. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    That's a good point, Bryan. I keep a bait tank with sunfish all of the time for that very reason. Most of the time I can get sunfish with no problem, but sometimes they are hard to find or the creek is flooded out. And there are some evenings that I just have a few hours to fish where having a ready supply of bait makes the difference between going fishing and not.

My tank is pretty basic, just a big plastic Rubbermaid storage box with some basic filtration, but if I had to point to one single thing that has helped my fishing the most in the last 5 years it would be that tank, it enables me to fish more often and also to have better bait when I do get out.