Why Such a Price Difference ????

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by brian88b, Dec 12, 2009.

1. brian88b

brian88b Member

State:
    Fairdale, KY
    I was at Bass Pro Shops the other day and noticed PowerPro the Phantom Red is way more expensive than the green and other colors there was no sale and as far as I could tell from the boxes it was the exact same line same pound test and all but the Phantom Red color was almost double the price. I have the Phantom Red 65# on my reels but found it online really cheap $12 a piece for 300 yard spools. But I am probably going to 80 or 100# now and was wondering if anyone knew why there is such a price difference ???? Also the red fades anyway and ends up white the dyes fade but doesnt seem to loose strength.

2. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    in the stores i shop i've noticed the green is the cheapest, then the red and hi-vis yellow is the most expensive. I almost totally moved to 80 and 100 PP for the river, casting is still great and stronger line is always better. I only use 65 on my 6500C3

3. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    I've seen similar and it makes you go hmmm.

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Marketing strategies.

5. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Current BassPro online price, 300 yards 65lb PowerPro

$32.99 Yellow
    $32.99 Red
    $32.99 Green

I've seen places put one color on sale for awhile, but other than that I've never seen a different price for a different color, not for PowerPro anyway. Maybe something was mislabeled?

6. ramon06

State:
    Alabama
    The store must be cheaper for once unless I caught a sale because I got a 300yd spool of 80LB hi-vis yellow from BPS 2 weeks ago for that price

7. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    Put a red or yellow spool in the green box and put the green in which ever box you took one out of...lol..just kidding...not worth getting in trouble to save a few bucks!!!

8. ramon06

State:
    Alabama
    thats a good idea :smile2: naw its just the local baitshops around here, at bps they're all the same price. I guess they sell less of the yellow and red so the price is more to get what a couple extra cents? makes no sense to me

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I can build two fishing rods identical and name one catstalker and the other catstalker supreme.
    Put a higher price on the supreme and sell it 2 to one over the regular.
    Fishermen like hunters are easy targets.

All you have to do is make it seem like an advantage.
    People often equate higher price as better. It is in a lot of cases in our everyday lives but in hunting and fishing, it's not.

10. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    Please dont do this-If you are at any "big box" store you are being observed by the eyes in the sky and on the ground. :eek:oooh: Dont take any chances.
    Besides-I have purchased merchandise that had been swapped and got the lesser of what was purchased!