Why some people CPR

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Mac-b, Nov 26, 2007.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Before I get into the why some people CPR I invite you to look at my attachments first, thank you.

Back in the 90's Lake Norman enjoyed the reputation of being a big striper lake, same as Santee Cooper in SC. It was nothing to fish a weekend and catch a limit each day, which back then was eight stripers with a minimum length of 15". Also it was common place to hear of someone catching a 18 to 25 pounder with a few lucky souls catching a 30 to 35 pounder. I caught my share of 18 to 35# stripers and very few went back into the lake, and this was common amongst us fishermen. We wanted a trophy on the wall or we wanted to take it to the bait shop, get our photo. taken and hang around and brag about our catch. The State of North Carolina was stocking four striper fingerlins per acre per year (165,000+-) and we figured it would last forever. Wrong, we did an overkill on the big ones and left the little ones alone. Mother nature, the power company, new developments, etc. took their toll on the remaining big fish and some soon to be big fish. My first attachments depicts the way it use to be.

Today, Lake Norman and Santee Cooper still have stripers, maybe not as many, and neither enjoys the reputation of being a big striper lake. The average size of a striper on Lake Norman is now about 4.5 pounds and just a little more on Santee Cooper. My second attachments depicts the way it is now.

The foregoing has taken place with crappie and bass in North Carolina and in some place the white bass has been eliminated (not totally done by man).

To me, this is why more and more of us are practicing and preaching CPR or catch and release. We have seen what has taken place with other large trophy fisheries and do not want it to happen to our catfish. I know some of you will disagree with my premise and that is alright, I just wanted you to know where the other fellow is coming from when he hears about a trophy cat being butcher or left to die in the back of a pickup bed and he or she gets excited or upset with you. If you need the meat for your family, by all means furnish it, but if you want something to brag about, a photo. will do a better job than you hauling it around in the back of your pickup. Mac

2. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    You are definitely right Mac. I mainly practice CPR as much as is practicle becuase the areas I fish take some work getting to and fishing. I hate the idea of depleting a decent to good spot and not having anything for the future.

3. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    great post man way to spread the word reps to you:wink::cool2:

4. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    preach on mac! great post! let me add this too. i remember those days mac is talking about with the stripers as a child but i have never caught a big striper and i have tried alot of times. my biggest is 10-12lbs. now i have to look in other states to find big stripers.

5. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    Thanks Mac for a great post. Remember if you want catfish for table fair,to target the smaller to mid range cats in your water ways. CPR those trophies & help manage the growing number of smaller cats. Thanks to all those fishermen out there that are concerned about their catfish resources and CPR>

6. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    CPR is fine if that's your cup of tea. However I myself don't see the point of taking a pic of a fish before letting it go,it just puts more strees on the fish. If I know I landed the fish that's good enough for me I don't need pic's for bragging rights.

I'm glad you posted this thread and made the statement about "Limits & size". Because we just went over this and many ppl here say size slots & limits are the only answer to better fisheries. LOL However this post says just the opp,due to the fact that there was already limits & size slot on those waters. My stand on this has not changed over the years when it comes to over harvesting of fish. My stand on this is the 1st step to building better fisheries are to bann gill nets & set stiff regs on set lines & jugs. Until that is done other regs will not change a thing.

7. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Tony, I appreciate you reading my post and taking time to reply. If you noticed, I only mentioned a minimum size. We did not have a maximum size limit for stripers. Since our stripers do not reproduce, I don't know what the results would have been. But, it is reasonable to assume that on lakes where the stripers do reproduce, such as Santee Cooper and other lakes, I'm sure that it would have made a difference, since the largest of a species produces more eggs than a smaller fish.

As for the traps, trotlines and jugs, that has been covered several times on the BOC, both pro and con.

8. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    I'm not sure I have ever heard of anyone catching Stripers in gill nets, set lines, or jugs. But I do feel that the over harvesting trophy stripers by rod & reel fishermen have left an over abundance of smaller stripers that compete for the limited amount of forage for all fish. The 36" rules we have here at Santee I feel is a good start to the protection of our Blue cats.

9. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Good post! Not only is CPR an important part of preservation. We need to put some teeth in the exhisting regs and not just alot of lip service.

10. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If you are going to eat it show it off all you want. You can drive it to Timbuktu if ya want to I don't care. Just don't waste it. Just remember the people that you show it to will forget it in time. If you have a trophy fish mounted it won't mean a thing to me. A big story yes, but then you could have bought it at a garage sale too. Show me a picture with you and the fish and I will be duly impressed. A quick pic wont hurt the fish and it should satisfy any ego that you want to express. I keep my pb pic in the truck for just such occasions! lol :crazy::smile2::cool2:

11. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Timbuktu is a nice place... ever been to Wapakaneta?? LOL rollo

12. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Thanks for your post Mac and I appreciate your honesty about taking trophys like others but now have seen what it leads too. If we all would practice more CPR our lakes and rivers would hold trophys for our children and grandchildren to enjoy.

13. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas

you really dont like "cpr" cmon man thats about as good as it gets, "cpr" is a great thing IMO, and in alot of peoples opinions. they catch the fish take a pic and let it go?? but i think set lines are fine, theyre a way some people run there lines, and a way they catch fish. and trust me running a trotline is harder than it looks and sounds. and can i ask you a question, do you eat fish swampy? ever ate one? what about steak? ever had some nice jucy steak? and btw nice catch and great post!! thats a beautiful striper!!!!

14. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Outstanding Post Mac. Thank you for your honesty, and for sharing your story. Our fisheries are NOT immune to over harvest and bad regulations. We cannot count on our state Conservation Agencies to be the protectors in all cases. We, as Sportsman must stand shoulder to shoulder and practice good conservation measures or sadly, one day we will find out Catfishing is also a unsustainable resource. The BOC is an outstanding platform to preach good conservation practices. Its up to each of us, to protect our environment outside of the webboards.

Reps to ya Mac. Took some gonads to be honest and tell your story. Nice job.

15. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    This is just to answer what you asked and is NOT about the one who started this threat.

I have no problem with CPR. Here is where I have a problem with "Some ppl" on this - They say they CPR to save the gene pools,Others say they do it for higher numbers,while other say they do it so someone elses can catch it and so on. However when you mention regs on nets and such they get all hot & bothered. Seems to me unless they are really CPRIC then they shouldn't have any problem with regs on nets being placed along with their CPR.

And to answer you about fish - Yes I eat fish,however I don't take a pic of it and post CPR before doing so.

Steak? What are you trying to say? - Yes I eat Steak and have no problem killing the cow to do so. So if that's what's your trying to say,you got the wrong person because I eat Why to much beef,just ask my Dr. LOL

Pic's are not my thing. I don't like my pic taken and have only let a few ppl take pic's of me in my life. You may not understand this but I feel everytime that buld flashes it take a little piece of my soul. Anyone who knows me knows I'm not camra friendly but to a vary few.

16. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Well one thing I learned from all this is I gotta stop buying my wall mounts at garage sales!!!!!!!:smile2:The secret is out.The extremely sad thing about the Santee striper situation is those lakes were the seminal birthplace of ALL feshwater stripers.Over time they have held or do hold 4 world records for 4 different species.Show me another body of water (Fresh) that has held as many as 2!I have talked to the guides from the good old striper days and they freely admit ;they slaughtered all the big trophys by the wheelbarrow full all in the name of greed basically,without any thought to the future.Sure there are plenty of stripers there now but exactly as Mac says they average 5lbs.A 25lb striper would cause such shouts of joy they would be heard in all the ajoining states.Even sadder is these same guides wrecked the largemouth fishing the same way by the wheelbarrow full.Even Roland Martin admits to this.Largemouths ,stripers and the catfish were headed the same way until some action was finally taken.I am NOT laying the blame for the total destruction of these resources soley at the guides feet,commercials and trotliners and regular fisherman contributed but its hard to claim trotlines ruined the bass or striper fishing.CPR is NOT the solution everywhere or all the time.There are places where it is counter productive.Its a technique not a religion.Good management,conservation and common sense are generally effective the majority of the time.There is a book about Santee ,that pretty much details the story of the past,that makes very interesting reading.Again not all guides took part in the destruction ,some practiced catch and release long before it became a buzzword in an attempt to stave of the inevitable.The destruction at Santee is a sad story and only serves as a good example of how not to conserve resources,but also shines a bright light on what individuals can do by reaching a common position supportable by all the different types of fishermen.The new 1 fish limit will take time but I believe will save the trophy blue fishery.:big_smile::big_smile:

17. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Man, Mac you hammered that nail all the way down. Its the plain truth. I guess somepeople just don't really care but we need to think about conservation of all of our fisheries. Fish CAN be fished out. God didn't give us these fish to decimate, which is what we all are doing. The commercial guys do there share but so do all of us, hauling fish around in the bottom of the boat, inadequate livewells during tournaments, mishandling of fish, such as holding big fish by the gills letting there insides go to there butthole, and just plain ole slaughtering of fish is hurting our fisheries. People need to definetly wake up and smell the java.

18. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    A couple times in this thread I saw mention of bass and how those fishermen CPR most of their fish, and the silly notion that slot or length limits have no impact on how many bass there are. The regs on LINES and NETS do not account for bass. They are geared toward so called trash fish like carp and catfish. I will bet a million dollars today if I had it that if people could catch Smallmouth, Largemouth, and Striped Bass on limblines and nets, and trot lines the uproar would be loud and furious till the practice was outlawed. Since us catfishermen have no political orgs. that are effective yet, we will continue to resort to pleading with anyone who will listen to let those larger fish go. And I'm sorry you feel this way swampy but you are just wrong in how you look at it. I see you complain any chance you get, and toss out drive-by stats that sound good but don't pass the smell test. If you want to help take a picture.

19. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    skip? you can't catch bass on limblines or etc.? every bass tourney i fished they just said when we had to be back! LOL..rollo

20. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    One more thing swampster, you've been a member for over two years. Can you possibly scan one of those 3 photos of you floating around out there into your computer, so I can at least see who makes all these remarks?