Why so short?

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by sambo, Jan 7, 2008.

1. sambo

sambo New Member

State:
    alabama
    Why is braided sold in lengths shorter than the capacity of my reel ? I have been told to use a mono backer . how do you tie the two together , will a square knot hold the two together ? If anyone has experience with this subject please shed some light please.

2. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR

3. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    A uniknot-uniknot connection for braid and mono of the same diameter.

Attached Files:

4. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
  5. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Depending upon how much you are talking about, you can go to bass pro either in person or online and fine spools with more than 150 yds. But it does cost.

6. CatAngler

CatAngler New Member

State:
    Omaha NE
    I'm not a big braid user but when I have used it I never tied my braid to my mono backer. I use the backer just so I can fill out my castin reel which I prefer to keep down no less than 3/l6" to a l/4" at most.Which results in better line control and cast ability. Most braids I purchased in the past seem to come with l70yds of line or better, which works out to be 500' plus. To me that plenty of line.

To answer your question, I think braid lasts a bit longer than mono and is a bit more expensive. So that might be a reason it comes with less length?

J

7. CatAngler

CatAngler New Member

State:
    Omaha NE
  8. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    You can find most braid in 300 yd spools at sporting goods stores. I think Wally world only has 150 yd spools. If you can't fill your reel with 300 yards, the knot connecting to your backer line doesn't really matter. If you let the fish run 900 feet of line off on you in a fresh water setting (almost 2 tenths of a mile) chances are you ain't getting a look at him even if you had 600 yards of braid on your reel:wink:

9. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i use the blood knot, it has never failed me.

10. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i use the uninot p pro shows u how to tie it :0a26:

11. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    The spools with 150yrds are meant for spinning reels. The average ( bass ) spinning reel holds 140yrd. Any major fishing/hunting shop should have the big spools, but you can get better deals on eBay.

-Jim-