Why snelling

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by bluesbrother, Aug 29, 2006.

1. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    im curiose i hear every one saying snelled hooks. is there like a special knot?

2. TNBigCat

TNBigCat New Member

State:
    TN
    I saw the video a while back on snelling hooks. Since then I've done nothing but snell my hooks. Check out the video and I think it will answer your question.

3. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I snell circle hooks. It helps on the way the hook pulls and it also prevents the hook from folding over into the bait.

4. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Like WylieCat said, it gives you a straight line pull on the hook(with offset eyes), and it seems to be a lot stronger knot as well. After trying it, that's the only way I'll tie my hooks now.

5. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    lol im sorry guys im confused.i just use the same old knot it seems to be strong and the bait staays on long even when catching monster hogs good luck.but im staying with my famouse knot..thanks

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Robert, I think it is just a matter of preference. Some people believe a snelled hook lays straight with the line, improving hookset. Others believe it is a stronger knot and will have less breakage than other knots. Others just think it is the way a fisherman's knots are supposed to look. Truth is probably somewhere in-between - but it is a good knot and it is a very good practice to use snelled hooks.

7. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Robert, They made a believer out of me. I was loosing fish do to my hook being buried back in my bait. The only explanation I could find for this was my hook was hanging at an angle. It didn't happen every time I tied a knot,but enough times that I lost some very good flats. With a snell you never have to worry if your hook is straight or not!

8. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    thanks guys ill give it a try.lol cant promise how it will turn out for knots are my worst charicteristics.lol except when i bird nest my reel .good luck yall