why r my trailer tires wearing on the outside?

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by joer, Feb 26, 2009.

1. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    I have maintained good tire pressure but some how my trailer tires are wearing down on the outside tread. I even increased my tire pressure by 2lbs....what's going on? Anyone have this problem? I don't over load my boat with gear so this makes no sense. I plan on taking this boat on a 11 hour road trip but I'm concerned about the wear. Please help....

2. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    My buddies father had that same problem on his trailer last year. If I remember right, it was a bent axle. I'll have to ask him again and verify exactly what the problem was and how they fixed it. I'll let you know.

3. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    Seth this is a new boat and trailer I bought in 2007. Both tires are wearing the same. I looked at the way the tires ride on the road and they are true and straight up and down. Any info u can give will help!The only thing I can come up with is I just need to put more air in them than the manufacturer requires. Thanks for looking into it for me.

4. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD New Member

State:
    KANSAS
    Maybe not blend axle but just out of line little bit my trailer was doing samething and it was new and new tires, measure from front of hub to center point of front of trailer my trailer was off 1/2 inch but it pulled straight as a arrow down the road you can't see it if it out of line just little but if its out of line makes big differnt on tires just check that out if they are true tape doesn't lie

5. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    My last one was doing that. It was not enough air. Boat trailers need 50 lbs of air. I was running 32 lbs of air. That was causing the tires to wear out like that.
    I read the side of my tires and it had 50 or 52 lbs on them. After new tires and the right air in them. Never had that issues again. That trailer had I guess 20,000 miles on the tires when I got rid of it.
    When I was told this, I was like sure no way. But that was the reason on mine and about 40 others I know of.
    Pete

6. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    like others here posted,outside wear sure sounds like low tire pressure to me alignment could be a possibility too

7. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Definitely your tires aren't running perfectly perpendicular to the road. Exactly like a cars vehicles toe in toe out is off ( or ball joint worn ).

If your air pressure is good and no other visible problems are there, I bet that's your problem.

I don't have a boat but I pull big trailers and I'm only assuming it would be the same.

It could be a slightly bent axle, in your case it would be bent up in the middle, that will wear out the outside of the tires. I also say axle because Both tires are wearing the same. If ya can run a string line across the axle to see if there is any bend. If you can find a level spot to park , maybe even put a 2' level on both tires to see if the bottom of the tires tip inward at the bottom.

Cant say this is you problem but maybe this info will give you a few things to look at..let us know what happens with it.

-Jim-

8. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    I had the same problem with a new trailer, tires are 52#'s of air, took it to a alignment place that does trailers and problem solved:wink:

9. jlcperformance

jlcperformance New Member

State:
    moberly, missouri
    just remember that a trailer needs about an 1/8 of an inch of toe in too pull nice and straight otherwise that sucker will be all over the road. just a lil info before u go changing anything. good luck and hope u figure it out.

10. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    Thanks for all the info guys!! Just to clarify each of my tires are wearing on the outside and inside of each tire. In other words the center tread on each tire still appears new and the outer tread of each tire is worn...so does this make more sense that I need to put more air in them?:confused2:

11. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Your tires are underinflated. Wearing on the inside and outside is a classic sign.

Inflate them to the pressure recommended on the tire or on the data plate on your trailer - should be about 50 lbs.

12. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    I'm starting to realize that I went by the recommended tire pressure on the tire itself and should of put more air in it than that.

13. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I don't know that I've ever seen a trailer tire that didn't call for about 45 to 50 lbs of air. What kind are on your trailer and what do the tires call for? And what does the data plate on the trailer call for?

14. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    The tires I believe are Carlyle or something like that and they call for 32lbs of pressure. I will have to check the data plate when I get home. Thanks for the help.

15. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Mine was the same tires. But after reading all the info on the tires they had 52 lbs when on a trailer. That took care of the issue.
    Pete