Why only small ones???

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by BassinWv, Aug 18, 2008.

1. BassinWv

BassinWv New Member

State:
    WV
    This is my first year for flats and i started to fish for them because of there size but i cant catch a big one. I fish the mon river in Morgantown WV. I have caught 5 this summer 11lb, 8, 4,4,3. There are big ones in the river and my friend caught a 40lb flat 2 years ago in the same spot on the bank. I use live gills of all sizes and fish from at least 7pm till 4am almost every time. I go at least 3 or 4 times a week.

2. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    Wow! :eek:oooh: You are really putting in some time! Just remember the holes do change in time. Maybe the hole you are fishing just isn't as large or deep as it used to be. Try fishing different bait types and sizes, sometimes that can make all the difference. Just be patient (as you have been) and don't hesitate to move around. With that kind of time spent fishing for them, you WILL hook into a biggun!!!:wink:

3. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P

Wanting to go out a catch large river cats in your first year is like wanting to catch 8lb bass on your first year. It's gonna take lots of time on the water, trial and error, and plenty of patience.

Other factors include big fish time of the year and location.

4. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Good for you on the time spent hunting the flats,, sounds like your bait is pretty good, not familiar with the area, but, gills, etc, work real good where I live,
    I've even caught some pretty big'ns on nightcrawlers!!.. Sounds like from what you're saying however,, is to maybe move around and try some different spots, read the river some and see if the hole is still actually there,,, You're having success, and it sounds fun..
    Good luck,