why not??

Discussion in 'LOCAL NEBRASKA TALK' started by bigmikeg, Dec 21, 2009.

1. bigmikeg

bigmikeg New Member

State:
    nebraska
    ok here i go. cabella's is out of nebraska. why don't they have aany king kats here whether it be on the river or a lake. just something i always thought of. just seems kind of wierd how since we have some good cat waters here. ok any ideas lets hear them

2. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    It's because the buyers in that company more than likely don't fish much and don't talk to fishermen here. They probably don't know that the catfish is the state fish here and the only real hope of catching a trophy fish. On the other hand those buyers probably are college educated and are very "smart".:wink:

3. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    CNCA and NCAA are both king kat tours but I don't think you can qualify for the national tourney at any of them.
    If I was going to fish tourney's I would just put my stuff in my trunk and go fish in some of those tourney's on the river. I just need to find someone out there that KNOWS how to boat on the river and partner up with them and give it a shot.

4. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    I don't think any of the lakes in Nebraska could handle a KingKat tournament, with the exception of the BIG MAC! Talking a tournament with around 100 or more teams. That would cover the majority of the lakes in Nebraska and everybody would be griping about the distance rule.

Rule about the distance that each boat should be from each other. CNCA rule is 25'.No fish will be taken within 25ft of a previously anchored boat.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  5. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city
    well idk... i would love to have one hear as long as it was a night time one.. we held a u.s. cats hear last year it was a day time event should of been a night time. but anyhow we were thinking alot of people were going to come but there was only like 15 teams don't always think there will be 100 teams we used to to average 30 teams but in the last year or so we only had on average 10-15.. so if they had one hear i would bet that only 10-20 teams would show and 99% of that would be the people i fish with in our club

6. bigredcatfish

bigredcatfish New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Where are you from that the US Cats held a tournament. I wouldn't mind fishing a few more of tournaments this year. 10-15 teams is a little low!! What happened?? I know that CNC has worked with King Kat to try to get a tournament in Nebraska, especially on Calamus but it is unfortunately about the $$$. The town of Burwell couldn't put up enough money for them to come to Nebraska!??!!? I know if there was a tournament on Calamus with King Kat there would be around 35 to 50 teams. It would be huge!!!!! Cabelas has very little to do with too! The promotion company is the one that runs the tournaments.

7. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    Well I went on the CNCA site and saw they changed everything to night tourney's which is a BIG bonus.

I think if you have 35 to 50 boats on Calumus it would be greatly crowded. But put that same 35 to 50 on Lake Mac and you could still have all damn CO people to come and gauk at you. And Ogallala could handle the teams with places to stay.

But since Craig took Lake Mac off of the schedule, along with 2 other good lakes, I doubt there will ever be a King Kat tourney in NE.

8. bigredcatfish

bigredcatfish New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I agree that it would be crowded on a small reservoir with 35 to 50 teams. The reason that Craig took those lakes off the schedule for this year is because there were 10 teams or less that showed up to these lakes. If the teams will show, I am sure he would put a tournament on!! Just because Craig doesn't fish a certain lake doesn't mean that King Kat's wouldn't come to Nebraska. If you could raise enough money King Kat would come to any size lake. The size of the lake or the amount of fish caught or size of the fish doesn't matter to them. It's a shame we have some good lakes in Nebraska that need some national recognition!!!!!

9. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I checked out the website....amungst other reasons I would not enter because of the "all fish must be released" thing...

one day there will a real catfish tourney in nebraska...or I can hope atleast

guess it time to start our own:big_smile:

10. flathead_hunter

State:
    nebraska city
    first off i'm from nebraska city.... bring your 30-50 boats down there is plenty enough room for them .. check out the u.s. cats site sure its still on there since the last time i was on it it wasnt updated in a while not sure if they even had anything for 09.. big fish was a 37 lb flathead not bad for a day time event.. the bad thing about that was where the guy caught it.. we were going to hit that spot first thing but parked less than 50 yards above and watched that guy catch it... made me verry verry verry sick to see it and know that someone had a big fish(not known how big) in the first 15 minutes after it started.. from where we thought it was bigger than what it was.. if you wanna fish more tournaments let me know we have between 10-12 evry year on the river between platsmouth and indian cave.. don't say "don't know how to fish the river" theres nothing to it drop anchor bait up catch fish easy as 1-2-3 for the most part..

second off fmb what do you mean by a real catfish tournament bone cracker and i seen some guys here in neb city last year weigh in 114 lbs with 2 fish.. our tournaments most everyone puts every thing back. we do keep some fish cuz we have a flathead fry at the end of the year.. we don't like people keeping fish over 10 lb but thats your choice to keep or not. me and the guy i fish with ussualy ask if anyone wants them if we dont... all in all not try to start any fights or anything just my 2 cents worth... good lucck in 2kx

1stplace88.jpg

8/8/09 neb city night tournament 1st place/big fish 114 pounds 68 big fish

john if i ever need a partner i will let ya know got your message!!!!

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  11. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    ohhh I'm just saying Jr....I don't want to be a part of a club or group to fish in 1 catfish tourney...I'm sure it would be fun but I could probally only make it to 1 or 2 events and then get kicked out for keeping my fish:big_smile:...and what about the small time bank fisherman???? you gotta have a boat to catch catfish????? I don't think so...hell 98% of the fish I catch are off the bank...

I just saying there is a reason there are such bad turnouts at these events...

12. bigmikeg

bigmikeg New Member

State:
    nebraska
    nebraska city night tournament was agood one i missed the launch so i couldn't fish it. tournaments are fun waverly is always a good time. i'm going to try and get into the k.c. club this year. to bad some of you guys weren't closer i would have a for shure partner for them. griff if you wanna hit some river tournaments i will let you know i fish the same club as flathead doesjust bring your self i can supply the gear/bait/drinks

13. bigredcatfish

bigredcatfish New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    The reason that CNCA has the rule for keeping fish is because the lakes that we are fishing produce some big fish. We want to preserve catfishing in Nebraska so the lakes keep getting better. We all keep fish, just not on tournament nights!! We just want the big ones to live and fight another day!!!

Thanks for the info flathead hunter on the tournaments on the river. I don't have much experience with river fishing, but I am sure that catfishing is catfishing. Do any of the guys that fish in your club, fish reservoirs?? I live in Lincoln, so that would only be a hour drive. Great pic of the monsters!! Can you catch skip jack or mainly use shad??

14. bigredcatfish

bigredcatfish New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    The tournaments are boat only. You can catch cats from the bank I completely understand but to cut down on possible cheaters and to be able to monitor the tournaments. You must fish from a boat, sorry! I think most tournaments are now that way?!?!

15. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    are you part of this club or group? and yes I know about tourneys and boats I was just pointing out some reasons why people wouldn't go...those are reasons I would not go anyway...

sorry I guess I'm just the a$$hole who thinks different than everybody else:smile2:

16. flathead_hunter

State:
    nebraska city
    i think the waverly tournaments might allow bank fishing at the dock only tho.. we can catch skipjack somtimes but if you know someone with a comercial liecenes get carp and what not from them... after a good spell of high water the sain vs. shad and what not are sain win bait loose:wink:

17. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    About the only tournaments I know off that where some of the fish can be kept, are Ice Fishing Tournaments, because of the stress level of the fish. Now with the open water tournaments, most of the ones I know of, the fish must be immediately retuned to the water after weigh in. Most tournaments, DO NOT allow any dead fish to be weighed in!! The Game and Parks of Nebraska do have a say in this, reason being, for the preservation of the species being caught, with the exception of Carp tournaments to where all fish are usually kept, weighed and killed afterward. Reason for this is simple, Carp are a trash species!!

Some people have the thought, that tournaments, have an adverse affect on the fish being caught, because of the stress level of the fish being kept and alive until weigh in. This is true somewhat, but nowadays, with better livewells and aeration, the fish can be kept and returned to the water safely and can live a normal life and be caught by some other person!!

Myself, when I fish tournaments, I make sure I can keep my fish lively, so they can be released with no harm.

Calamus Res, has a reputation of big Channels being caught during a tournament. 20# averages are normal during these Cattin' tournaments. These catfish are the best breeding stock for the lake and gives hope to future trophy fishing!!

So Frank, you want to keep some fish? Then do it on your own time!! Want to fish a tournament? Then be prepared to release the fish safely back to the water or get disqualified and possibly get thrown out of the club you are a member of!!! True facts..:wink:

18. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I give up....I just won't post my ideas anymore... I was simply saying reasons I would not attend...and why the turnouts are so bad...sorry sheep I guess big bad wolfy will keep his mouth shut from now on :smile2: see ya at the tourneys bros:wink:

19. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    keep his mouth shut from now on :smile2: I'll bring the duct tape!! See ya at the Lead Pouring Party!!

20. catfishlarryiowa

catfishlarryiowa New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Jr. I understand what you mean about a big turn out. I was a member of a catfish club a few years back we got hooiked up with US- cats an wen't to Red Rock with the intension of a lot of teams. after arriving i think there was 12 teams which 7or 8 teams was from are club.very disapointing.long trip/ lots money. ''very disappointed'' would like to try some of your tourniments this year. Larry.