why not Lake Norman

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by larry d. grady, Nov 8, 2009.

1. larry d. grady

larry d. grady Member

State:
    north caro
    just wondering,why are you guys in South Carolina not making a trip to fish Lake Norman,especially since there is no skiers and jet skis right now.also,why is there not many cat tournaments on the lake.the fish are there.is it just to challenging of a lake,or to far to drive.

2. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    Good question!
    For me Larry, eventhough i am in Charlotte it is an hour drive for me up to 150. I can get to other equally good fishing spots in less time. I can even get to badin in hour and fifteen.
    Another consideration is when i go to wylie and wateree, I get to fill up truck and boat with gas that is $0.25 cheaper due to the sc gas tax being cheaper.
    Hey but if Norman gets added to one of the tourney schedules, I am sure we will show.:wink:
    Later,
    Lindsay

3. SCcatfishing

SCcatfishing New Member

State:
    SC
    I use to keep my camper on the Denver side of the lake and I vote that lake Norman isn't what it use to be...... If I had a choice of driving 2 hours to LKN or 1.5 hours to Santee I would go to Santee.... Don't have to get out of state Lic ect.......Only reason I go to TN to fish is cause I have a life time lic for hunting and fishing....:wink: Hope this helps ya out a little.... Oh yeah and the NC state troopers have no mercy on anyone lol....:smile2:

4. flatheadsalyer1

flatheadsalyer1 New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    I always wanted to give it a try, but everytime we got a trip together something always came up. I will get there someday hopefully soon.

5. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    I'm all for new Lakes as long as they are not to far away. Any Giants in Norman?? I don't see you holding one in your avatar, but i guess not all of us like to be slimed:big_smile:

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  6. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    not a fact but i read that the lake norman blues had started feeding on vegatation so there body size doesnt get a chance of getting as big as blues in other lake were they feed on shad an other bait fish an like dean said I dont see any pics of big blues on the boc every week from norman

7. bowler man

bowler man New Member

State:
    nc
    THERE IS PLENTY OF BIG BLUES AND FLATTS IN NORMAN . but the down side is the snobs that live on the lake:sad2:, not all but way more than wylie and wateree i have never had a run in with a homeowner on either wylie or wateree but have had to load up and leave a cove on norman three times to keep from getting in a fight with a a$$$ who didn't like people anchored in his cove at night and once i had a guy chase me down the cove yelling that i was going to fast and he was going to report me :eek:oooh: heres the funny part the motor was off and i was using the trolling motor :crazy: i'll admit it i was on 6:smile2: but i fished it alot this past spring and caught anywhere from 10-20 blues in a average morning ranging from 2-30lb and i caught quite a few flatts while driftting. i haven't tried to anchor norman and target flatts but i plan on it this year :big_smile:

8. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

WOW Jeff! Worst thing I've experienced on Norman was losin' the prop, stayin' out there until daylight, and one of the fellers havin' to hike up the hill to get some help. I DID hear that the folks whose door he knocked upon looked at him kinda funny. :smile2:

I LUV Lake Norman, and if I have anything to do with it, that's where the next NC gathering will be. :wink:

Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  9. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Man, sometimes i wish i could fish them all. Maybe if Bowler would post a few big cat pic's from there it would stir up some spirits. If the BOC holds a gathering there it would open the door for me. Get to meet all these guys and not be to far from home. I wish i knew about this site when i first started cating............................This site probably wasn't even thought of then :smile2: A lot of good info for newbies and oldies

10. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Larry, i went back and read this post and didn't mean for it to sound like it did (sorry) :embarassed:quote:I'm all for new Lakes as long as they are not to far away. Any Giants in Norman?? I don't see you holding one in your avatar, but i guess not all of us like to be slimed

I just don't see to many folks talking about the big cats they are catching there (maybe they are keeping it to themselves the way we did Monty for all them yrs) Maybe you have broken the ice with your post, and even though Bowler could catch a Big Cat in a mud hole, his post has made some of us aware that Big Fish swim there. Thanks

11. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    There are some good fish in Norman for sure. For me Its so big that I dont have time to get up there and spend the time riding around looking at sopts. Ive only been fishing the lakes down here for 4 years and maby 1 da Ill spend more time up there, but for now Id rather spend the gas on Wylie or Wateree. If a bunch of guys wanted to fish up there or there was a tournament Id fish it, and have. Also like Bowlerman said Ive heard stories from Bass guys that have been run off for coming in a cove by people that claim to own the cove/creek. I was told there is a guy that if you come down his creek and fish he walks up and down his dock hitting the pilings with a hammer. Heard of an old NASCAR driver calling one of the local guides and telling him that someone was taking "his" fish out of "his" creek dragging nets around. The guide was actually out on the water scouting nearby and came over to see what was going on. He found out that It was actually a CCC member that was drifting there and pulling Planer Boards.

12. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    I guess when you spend a couple million for a water front house you figure the water goes with it:smile2:

13. larry d. grady

larry d. grady Member

State:
    north caro
    no offence taken dean.but i guess i better start posting some fish.bowlerman is right.i seen several 20 to 30 lb.blues and 4 40lb.class flatties last february.and billfish is right also,lots of water to search.i guess im just bored up here in the winter.get to see lake norman blues out on the water,but hes going back to the dock with his catch before i get the first rod in the water.:confused2:

14. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Need to come down to Wylie and Wateree and fish the CCC tournaments. Then the Catawba Catfish Club season is getting ready to start so with that it could keep you busy on these lakes and not bored up on Norman.

15. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Larry, there are a lot of great fish in Lake Norman. The previous state record came from the lake, even if it was caught on a jug. There are flatheads in the 60-70 pound range in the waters there.

Like Bifflsih76 said; there is a lot of water to cover on Lake Norman. This can be intimidating for folks. Furthermore, the lake is more heavily fished for striper and black bass than catfish and that is what most fishermen are after there.

As for SC folks heading north, most don't want to buy an NC license when they can catch nice fish in Lake Wateree and Lake Monticello.

16. larry d. grady

larry d. grady Member

State:
    north caro
    ya gonna make me move.oh,and ya left something out.the huntins better to.thanks guys.:tounge_out:

17. bowler man

bowler man New Member

State:
    nc
    Maybe you have broken the ice with your post, and even though Bowler could catch a Big Cat in a mud hole, his post has made some of us aware that Big Fish swim there. Thanks[/QUOTE]

man gotta go you make me blush :embarassed: i love this site it has taught me alot and if you want to know something about a lake or fishing most the folks on here will point you in the direction you want to go and as for norman you about can't find anyone better than mac . this past spring i called him for some advice and he hooked me up with some waypoints and i caught a ton of fish and used that info to build a pattern for that lake. i went to a different area every week and found fish just about everywhere. i was catching fish in the back of coves and just kept going when i got to the end and went right across the channel and caught fish there so i caught fish in 6' of water and fish in 65' of water on the same drift :crazy:i do plan to fish it more this winter to see if i can get a pb out of there i also would love to try monty they are both on my todo list :big_smile: