Why no catfish shows?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by bhunt, Sep 5, 2006.

1. bhunt

bhunt New Member

State:
    *Required*
    Why is ther never any just catfishing shows? You have Bill Dance Hank Parker and thousands of other bass shows. Bill Dance even said on his last cat show that he has thousands of request for more catfishing shows. Is there no sponsers for the shows or what. I would think the catfish show would do good. Just wondering.

2. shotdemducks

shotdemducks New Member

State:
    kansas
    That is something that I have always wondered myself. They would get good ratings I would think. Dont know who a person could get a hold of to get the true answers though.

3. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    Several decades ago Catfishing had an undeserved stigma of trash fish. They ate dead things and weren't a sporting fish. The unimformed still carry that opinion. We all know that is absolutely not true.

Back than, it was a no frills style of fishing. Some old guy with an old rod sitting on the bank for hours. There were few if any tournaments. Seems the more money you have to spend on gear, the more popular that syle of fishing will be with the media.

Now days, there are some very big cat tournaments, but they still don't get the media coverage. And sponsers are not beating at the door. Maybe catfishing isn't sophisticated enough. Gear wise, it's too simple.

4. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    My guess is that bass can be caught in bigger numbers and, more frequently making for a more likely captivated audience.

5. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Yeah I would say no sponsors with enough money to keep it on. Most catfisherman dont go out and buy the most expensive gear and do it often. I just think theres not enough money in it.:sad2:

6. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Even now tho to ask a question is it really thrilling if your not catching them? I like to relax and I know I can generally relax while catfishing or carp fishing. Now if the bite is on you get your blood going but other than that its pretty relaxing.

7. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Yeah... and I can just see it...alot of money spent on the best poles, only to watch em get pulled into the water while the ususpecting host is talking to the viewers! LOL!

8. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    ive wondered this also quite a bit. it would be great if they had one!

9. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Weel guys there is always the 10,000 stong membership of the BOC to send in request for more and new caatfish shows. Can you imagine if everyone of us started sending request to not only the "stars" but to the television stations? I would almost bet we would get our shows. Maybe not eveery week but I bet with 10,000 request we would get some new shows are more frequent shows at least.

10. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I think as catfish gains in popularity you will see a show dedicated to it. The trashfish REP is going away slowly because so many resturants server it. Just like red fishing has exploded in the past 5 years so will catfishing. It will just takes time IMO. You see more and more clips about it on shows. A good indacator is the size of the catfish tackle isle at walmart and it has been growing in oklahoma in the last 5 years with 1 full side now. The fact that alot of catfishing is done in the winter will also help launch the sport. Because there is very little bass fising on tv in the winter.

11. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    IT IS SIMPLE....MONEY!!

THERE IS A LOT MORE MONEY TIED INTO THE BASS INDUSTRY. ADVERTISERS ARE EVERYWHERE FOR BOATS, MOTORS, RODS, REELS, LINE, DEPTHFINDERS, AND EVERYTHING ELSE YOU CAN THINK OF FOR BASS FISHING. THE CATFISH MARKET IS A SIDE LINE MARKET FOR THEM.

LUCKILY FOR US WE ARE ABLE TO GAIN FROM THE RESEARCH PUT INTO BASS FISHING. DEPTHFINDERS WOULD NOT BE WHERE THEY ARE TODAY WITHOUT BASS FISHING. THE VARIOUS LINES ARE ALSO A PRODUCT OF BASS FISHING.

i AM CURRENTLY LOOKING FOR A STUDY THAT SHOWS THE AVERAGE AMOUNT OF MONEY A BASS FISHERMAN SPENDS PER YEAR VERSUS OTHER FISHERMEN.

12. benneeb0y

benneeb0y New Member

State:
    VA
    prob the general myth that catfish are bottum feeders. kinda like all pit bulls are bad.

13. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Well now.. I think i may just have to steal some space on a local broadcast network and produce my own Catfishing Show... With me as the host of corse and bring a Boc Member every episode.... I wont mind taping,fishing, and having a good time to help others with Catfishing.... I honestly wonder what it would take..... I have the time to do it..... Hummmmmm...

14. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Are you sure you really want more catfishing shows? More shows means more people on the water. More people on the water means even more crowded conditions at the ramps and facilities, more demand at the bait supplier if you buy bait, higher prices, and generally uninformed people ruining your day. The, just like bass fishing, we'll see these cute cat fishing outfits, look at our tee shirts and torn up jeans and have to go get with the new look. Same with boats, everyone will have to have the catfish special. No, I'll stick with just a few programs a year on catfishing and keep spinning the myth that they eat trash on the bottom, except, of course, when the state begins to mess with catfish regulations.

15. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    I think that once people start seeing that catfish have just as many people catching and spending money then maybe the sponsors will look at producing shows about catfish. I would love to see a show strictly for the catfishermen and women that want to see it.

16. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    thats because after just a few shows you've covered mostly every situation for catfishing... With Ba$$ fishing you can cover a different color lure each week just to get the sponsers more money when every one buys that color worm because the Tv pro's say it works the best... (usually 3 days of fishing for those 10 fish that they catch)...

Part of it is that it is also they don't think the audience is there... There are alot more people willing to spend $ on the Ba$$ gear then there are on Catfishing gear...

The other reason is that the TV producer's haven't yet offered me the deal to do the show:wink:

17. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Theres no money in it from the sponsors. Thats why In-fisherman dropped down to only one issue of the Catfish Insider a year. Thats why its tough on the tournament trail as well if you do fish a big tournament there not hardly enough money to cover expenses if you have to travel much.

18. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    Id agree somewhat with Painting With Ross. If they put alot of cat shows on it could add some fishing pressure.but one show on once a week I dout would hurt much.

19. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    Id agree with that strength in numbers alot of requests might get some action. Id like to see one at least every other week if not once a week.

20. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    well id sure hope to see more. bill went once or twice and shaw gribsy did one round and i saw a round of wels catfishin. but id rather see flathead and channel fishing. youd see a lot of bait advertisements