Why no bait clickers on the smaller Abu Garcia's ?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by mikemck, Jan 12, 2009.

1. mikemck

mikemck New Member

State:
    Texas
    Why do the 4600 & 5600, or even the 5000's, not have bait clickers?
    Any idea?

TIA

2. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Those reels are made more for bass fishing or casting lures and working artificial baits. For that type of fishing you don't need bait clickers

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with Kevin on this one.

4. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    There were some of the 5000 size reels with clickers at one time. I had a couple of them. It was probably 10 years ago, and they were a Bass Pro exclusive item (at least that's the only place I found them). The had a 6.3-1 gear ratio, which I didn't care for, so I ended up selling them.

I know that there was also a 5000B model at one time that had a clicker on it too.

5. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I have an old 5000 that has a bait clicker. It's 30+ years old but still works great.

6. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I've got a couple of Abu 5600C4LE's with clickers, purchased a couple of years back. These are purple / violet reels, and they still show up on Ebay from time to time. Mine came from a local tackle shop that had bought a bunch from the distributor. Also, Catfish Connection currently lists a 5500CS Pro Rocket with a clicker. But you are right, with the exception of some special editions, the 5xxx and 4xxx reels normally don't have clickers, while they are standard on the bigger reels.

7. mikemck

mikemck New Member

State:
    Texas
    Yes, I was thinking it was probably a matter of intended use, but I really can't see why they would not put them on there. It's not like you have to use them, if you don't need/want it.
    Especially if it's the small button type on the side of the reel, like my 6600EXT.

It's not a real concern for me, but sometimes I wish my 4600C4 had a clicker, and also on my 5600C4.

8. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    I have a 5500 cl pro rocket, with a clicker on it. I've had it about three years now. I know c.c. carries a 5500 cs pro rocket.

9. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i found 5 or 6 of the 5000 series with bait clickers.
    all had BC at the end of their name like 5000BC

10. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    I HAVE A 5000D WITH A CLICKER

11. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Agree with everyone else...

While the 5000 series is marketed more towards the bass type guys, the good Abu reels are fine for catfishing. 5600 C4 is a nice reel. I have the 5600 C5 Mag, no clicker, but very nice fishing reel.

Shawn

12. stone

stone New Member

State:
    CA
  13. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Those smaller reels with clickers are perfect for todays smaller braided lines. A 5000b has the same drag washers and parts as a bigger 6000. You dont need huge spools with the braids. The 5000d's are selling for big bucks now if they're not beat up. I'm making a jig to grind holes in side plates of the old reels without clickers. I have a beautiful 5500c that I'm going to put a clicker assy. on. Some would say I'm destroying a classic. But we'll see. i love the way the antique ball bearing abu's cast. It'll be unique...

14. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I haven't used a clicker since I discovered circle hooks.

Still want clickers on my reels, though, because, well...I'm an old dawg.:roll_eyes: