Why my blue catfish are black

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by poisonpits, May 7, 2007.

1. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i posted this on another thread but didnt get any answers so ill ask uall.ive noticed that all the blues ive seen on the site has been lite to a little darker blue.the fish over 20 lbs. in my home lake are black.really black.the water is fairly clear and in some places 45 ft.deep.i know their blues because the game and fish been stocking them for the last 50 yrs.i realy want to know why their black.tks

2. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Black like the one in your avatar? I have never caught a dark one. They are always white, grey, or blue. Good question.

3. poisonpits

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    yes.so far ive cought several and there all black.even the bellys.

4. flatheadsteven

flatheadsteven New Member

State:
    ohio
    it could be the water ur fishing in because some of the flatheads i catch in one river are black and some are green and brown out of another.just my opinion.

5. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    Great question. I'm looking forward to finding out myself now.

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Blue catfish can actually change color. I've had them change color in my livewell fairly often. Why? Maybe because of the light? Don't really know.

7. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    I don't know about 'em changing color -- but I've had several change in size. By the time I set the hook and reel one it, it's gone from 85-100 lbs (easy) down to about 0-3 lbs. Sometimes I've hooked one and reeled in what looks like a piece of cutbait -- so apparently they not only change size but lose their tails sometimes their head and/or gut pocket. Pretty weird stuff. :tounge_out:

8. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I've caught some black blues in the Cooper River here in SC. It seems mostly to be the bigger fish, but I think it's becuase of the clear water. Seems like blues from murky muddy water tend to pale blue to almost milky, while the clear water fish are darker.

Just my guess...

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Its common among other species too . I know some of it has to do with the water itself and some of it may be temerature of the water.

I fish in one place for bass like no other I fish . The bass out of there are black and gold. Right down the road in a another body of water , you have the black, silver, green,and white colors normally seen on bass.

I've also caught schooling bass that were holding in 25 feet of water .
    Those bass were nearly solid white with no striping or distinguishing marks. Throw them in the livewell for 20 minutes and they take on their normal colors with markings.
    I think in this particular instance it was the difference in water temperature.

I've caught whitish yellow bluegill out of ponds during the winter. During the summer they are dark Blue to black on the head and backs.

10. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    My guess is the habitat they live in...like someone else said flatheads always vary in color! Habitat(the bottom) whether it be rock, mud, or sand. That is what I have heard anyway!

11. Chad32

Chad32 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I've always seen them vary in color from place to place. Age and time of year also play a role. Not sure why they'd be black though. Now, if someone could just tell me why my channel cat has freckles???

http://f3.yahoofs.com/users/41afd862z875a7e0c/49d2re2/__sr_/e0f2re2.jpg?ph4D5PGBAXqitTXq

12. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I'd say it could be a mineral in the water, just like up north where I used to fish a lot on the canadian border the fish all seem to has a goldish brown to them, well there is a ton of iron in the water up there.

13. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    May also be sex and spawning condition - I don't think I've heard much about it (not like channels), but maybe the spawning males darken up just like channels do?

By the way - the pictures I have seen of big blues from the deep clear southern Calif resevoirs are always very dark colored fish. I think that's part of why I figured the clear water was part of it.

14. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    all the blues we pull from really clear water are dark, even the bellies. i think it has something to do with the exposure to light the fish gets in such clear water. the blues i catch in muddy water are light blue or almost white.
    we had a fisheries biologist onhere, where is he when we need him?!:lol:

15. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    It has to do with light penetration and how the pigment in their skin reacts to light. All the fish I catch in muddy water, especially if they are deep are very pale. I've caught crappie that are almost solid white and lbues that were very light colored or white looking. In cleare water, they get more color to 'em. I've caught some pretty dark colored ones, but none that are black. In the summer around here, they get a dark steel blue color, not black though. Our waters are relatively clear with a little stain to it.

16. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I have never heard of Blue Catfish, being black in color.

17. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    We use to catch blues out of our river and place them in my buddies 2 acre pond. The one's we put in there were anywhere from almost white in color to the typical light blue color you see on a bluecat. Now every blue we caught out of that pond ended up turning black in color after being transplanted into the pond. I'm sure water clarity, or a host of different water conditions can change their color, I've never found a real answer. I know it happens to paddlefish also...they have almost the same skin color as a bluecat. I've notice when placed in my local aquarium they have turned black just like the bluecats.

18. Bob R

Bob R New Member

State:
    Woodbridge, VA
    the blue cats we catch here in the Potomac are almost white during the winter and only get to a lighter blue during the summer. The water here is stained to muddy most of the time. I think it has to do with clearity and temperature to better blend in with thier surroundings.

19. Angelkitty

Angelkitty New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    Poisionpits (Johnnie) quit spray painting them black. :lol: I have also had the same problem. Maybe it is the Arkansas water:smile2:. All j/k to the side some are black, blue, white and a yellow tint. :smile2:

20. poisonpits

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    angel what the heck you doing up at 3.30 in the am.