Why keep fish during spawn?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by SGTREDNECK, Aug 15, 2009.

1. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Ok so if we want to save our fisheries for the future. Why is it legal to keep fish during their spawn? This would make sense to me. If it was illegal to keep a fish full of eggs, there would intern be more fish. I personally wont keep any fish with eggs in it. Just makes sense to me. I personally think it should be illegal for commercail fisherman to fish during the spawn. This would give us alot more fish in the future. Just some sleepy thoughts here. Feel free to comment or add on to it. Or even call it a dumb idea.

2. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    :confused2::confused2::confused2: that is why i do not fish during spawn season cause of all there eggs :wink::wink:

3. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    well when they are spawning here they don't bite anyways so I would be down with taking a break...:smile2:

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Real good point. However do ya really think it would be enforced? :sad2:

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would be all for a closed season for around a month when catfish are spawning.

But like George said, would it be enforced?

6. gruffy911

gruffy911 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I would agree with all of you about not keeping fish with eggs. However did you know that all the fish don't spawn at the same time. At least that is what I have read by fish biologist. Commercial fisherman make more money off fish eggs than they do the meat, so they are going to be working overtime anytime close to the spawning of fish. I would have to agree with puddlejumper in another post on here about choosing your battles. I have a real problem with the commercial fishing of our inland waterways. Personlly I release almost all the fish I catch anyway and I would like for my grand childeren to be able to catch fish and teach their grand childern to fish.

7. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    I view this the same way as killing a doe at the end of the season that could potentially be pregnant - it makes no difference if that fish is killed now or two months earlier as far as it's future offspring are concerned - they'll never be alive either way.

That said though, I do support protecting fish during the spawn by doing things such as closing certain areas or prohibiting noodling during a certain period. I don't think a fully closed season would go over very well. Once the eggs are laid and fertilized I think we should try to protect them and not disturb the nest. This goes also for sight fishing for largemouth on the nest.

If we protect the females, we also need to protect the males since they are the ones who sit on the nest and guard the eggs and fry.

I don't see how a no keep for fish full of eggs would be enforced anyway. How can you tell they are full of eggs rather than just having a large belly? I've tried to tell before and haven't been very accurate.

8. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Real good point , but like mentioned it would not be enforced and some slappers would just say they was fishing for carp or some crap .

9. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Hey I just noticed that the word carp and crap are the same word with the letters mixed around a bit . That explains why they taste like crap .:wink:

10. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Why yeah large 20 lbers for example full of eggs being saved is just stupid.. i mean i know its nice to eat but think about the 1000 eggs they lay.. in this climate we NEED as many fry as possible

11. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Sounds good.
    Lets stop fishing during the spawn, so all the fish can spawn.
    Lets stop keeping fish, during the rest of the year. After all, it will have a chance to spawn the next year.
    After we do that, let's stop fishing altogether. After all, it's completely possible for a fish to become infected and die from where it gets hooked at.

12. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Brother, I was RAISED on Sunday morning roe and eggs!
    Gotta take the knife to em to get em.

13. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    I'd agree to that, I don't usually fish the spawn anyway one because it's a little harder to find fish second if a big male is gaurding a nest and you yank him off of it whats the chances of him going back. I think it's kinda like baby birds if you touch them the mom won't feed em and kick em out of the nest, just backwards:smile2:

14. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Coonx, I have not seen you in awhile. :cool2: to see ya back.

15. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Ill keep them if they get gut hooked bad or gill hooked and bleeding real bad and i dont think there going to make it.

16. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Blues and flatheads over 10 lbs are the spawning fish. Thats why we only keep fish under 10 lbs. year round. and getting to where we release just about everything over 7 lbs. We practice and try to pass on selective harvest to every new fisherman we take out.

17. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    If you want to stop fishing thats up to you. I am going to keep fishing and do what I do. It just don't make sense to me keeping a fish full of eggs. If you want to keep it go ahead you aint hurting my feelings none.:smile2:

18. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    hmm interesting topic..

ive heard before that a male flathead will NOT go back to the nest once caught.. so, what do you do in this case? the female wasted her time, and the male wasted his.. MAYBE next year could be successful for them.. i do also practice selective harvest, only keep little ones for the table, i just wanted to throw this in the pot..

19. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    The fish spawn at different times depending on water temps. It varies from year to year and from one body of water to the next. I find great channel fishing right before the spawn, then suddenly the bite shuts down and I take a couple weeks off because the fish are hard to locate and don't bite well. But its not exactly the same dates each year, it depends on the weather. And not all the fish spawn at the same time, as was mentioned.

I don't think putting an unenforceable law into place is the answer. I wanted to fish the Kawkawlin River in Bay City, MI for suckers this spring and found out the whole river was closed to fishing because of the walleye spawn. I didn't want to catch walleye, and if I did, I'd have put them right back. Why couldn't they just close the season on walleye? But I could not fish the river at all, that is their way of enforcing it, and that just seems dumb to me.

It is the same way with designated trout streams. They are closed to fishing before the trout season starts. What if I want to fish for something besides trout? Tough, don't get caught fishing a closed river.

I understand that spawning fish need to be protected, but they don't stop all fishing in lakes with bass before the bass season begins. Why not? There is even a catch-and-release period for bass during the spawn in Michigan.

I don't want to see a catfish season enacted in Michigan.

20. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks for all that have posted. I don't think the rivers should be closed either. We need something I am just not sure what yet.